Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times

Advertisements

Considering they're at this minute searching for a mushroom picker on the Washington side of the Gorge, it's good advice that should be paid attention to. Always better to be safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Talking Safe!

One of the kids has some ear problems now so we decided to stay closer to sea level. Found a nice natural (not trimmed to perfection) Noble Fir for $20.00 on a farm behind Sherwood somewhere. Even got stuck in the mud and had to switch to 4X4. Perfect!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,815 times
nice! well now you have time to plan for next year

Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
One of my sons belongs to an 4x4 off-roading club, and they are planning a family christmas tree cutting expedition of 10 to 20 vehicles next weekend in the hills above Estacada.

I got invited and I plant to participate with my 4x4 F250.
I get to be the tree hauler, so the guys can play around in their 4x4s while we're up there.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
One of my sons belongs to an 4x4 off-roading club, and they are planning a family christmas tree cutting expedition of 10 to 20 vehicles next weekend in the hills above Estacada.

I got invited and I plant to participate with my 4x4 F250.
I get to be the tree hauler, so the guys can play around in their 4x4s while we're up there.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out!
Have fun, but please be careful to not tear up the hiking trails. That is the kind of stuff that gets roads closed down by the Forest Service. Two of my favorite spots are now five+ mile hikes in due to 4x4s forcing themselves up a trail meant for pedestrians

Lovely area though, and plenty of fun 4x4 places.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
No worries.

BTW, In talking to the nice ladies at the Estacada ranger station, I have found out that the main reason for national forest road closures is lack of funding for the Forest Service.
If they don't have money to maintain a road or trail, they will close it.

My sons club spends a lot of time cleaning up trashed "camping" spots and maintaining existing off road areas.
The forest service used to clean up those areas, but now can't afford it so the club helps.

Last summer they were cleaning up an really trashed area that looked like it hosted a weekend kegger or something.
One of the guys found a prescription bottle with a name and address on it.
We turned it in to the ranger station with photographs and the location of the site and they did go after the lowlifes, and they got fined big time.

If you have ever been past Estacada, you may know that there is forest access directly across from the marina entrance to North Fork reservoir.
That area has been closed to all off road access exactly for the reasons you mentioned above.
From what I hear, the damage was mainly done by ATVs and motorcycles, not 4x4 vehicles.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-10-2012 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: