Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
gosh, there is so much delusion in this thread. OP, i wouldn't listen to any of them. I live on SE 39th, which is super close to downtown, and i pay 678 for a big 1 bedroom. I found 1 bedrooms in the Pearl and between 21st and 23rd for 750. Check out the Hawthorne and Belmont areas. I consider those places the most desirable, but they aren't downtown, so they'll be cheaper. With a child, you don't want to live directly downtown anyways. You want parks and neighborhoods. Go towards SE. You'll find something between 600-750 easily. Don't listen to these people.

also, get a waitressing job. You can make $20/hr or more, and that will easily pay the bills. Remember, waitresses and bartenders make minimum plus tips here. So that's $8.80 plus tips right off the bat. It isn't like Florida or Wisconsin where you make $2.30 plus tips. Portland is known for restaurants, so there are openings all the time.
All I can say to this is that the OP is going to have to come here and check these things out for herself because she is getting some very differing opinons here. I live in this area too. Have been for over twenty five years. I have occasionally come across something along this order but they were very rare and not what the OP is asking for as family friendly. That is something to take into consideration because I know that while there may be some not so typically expensive places along Hawthorne and Belmot the OP may not want to raise her baby in them.

And regarding the $20.00 an hour waitress job, all I have to say to that is "Show me?" Or rather show the OP so she can apply. Having been in that profession for a time, even working for some upscale places, I have never encountered that kind of pay. Baristas make more though. Of course that was a while back, things could have changed but I doubt they have all that much. One thing I know is that competition for those jobs has become greater.

But you are going against the OP's wishes. She did not ask about jobs and she has clearly stated she only wanted to hear about neighborhoods. So back on track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I found some houses up on Alberta and 16th where I used to live for $700 on Craigs list. Same owner.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I hope the OP is writing down these areas for when she comes to town to do her apartment searches. So far, she has 39th and Hawthorne, 39th and Belmont, Alberta and 16th and possibly the Pearl between 21st and 23rd. So that's what she's asking for: neighborhoods people apparently think are within her price range and family friendly.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:57 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I hope the OP is writing down these areas for when she comes to town to do her apartment searches. So far, she has 39th and Hawthorne, 39th and Belmont, Alberta and 16th and possibly the Pearl between 21st and 23rd. So that's what she's asking for: neighborhoods people apparently think are within her price range and family friendly.
I never said that. Family yes, friendly no.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post

also, get a waitressing job. You can make $20/hr or more, and that will easily pay the bills. Remember, waitresses and bartenders make minimum plus tips here. So that's $8.80 plus tips right off the bat. It isn't like Florida or Wisconsin where you make $2.30 plus tips. Portland is known for restaurants, so there are openings all the time.
There are openings all the time. But they're also getting 300+ resumes still. Getting a waitress job is not easy in Portland like it is in other cities.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:46 PM

12 posts, read 8,307 times
You may be able to find a place in Milwaukie, or inner SE could be a way to go. I would agree with possibly also going somewhere other than Multnomah County, which is Portland, that tends to have higher property taxes, and therefore reflected in the rent, unless the property owners are ignorant or desparate. I have two properties, one in Clackamas County, one in Multnomah, and can tell you I pay more in taxes in Multnomah for a property valued 50k less.

Whoever said the Pearl between 21st and 23rd, may not from around here. First of all that's not really considered the Pearl, which is one of highest cost areas in the city, and even 21st or close to you would be likely looking at about a 500 sq foot apt for that price, or less. There are low income places in urban areas, but I suspect there's fierce competition for those, and being from not around here you may not qualify. They built a new low income building in my hood in S. Waterfront, a mile from downtown, and my neighbor thought there's was a marathon or parade going on with all the people that showed up. Not that you asked about low income....but the Pearl etc and surrouding area is a higher rent district.

In terms of renting without a job you might have a harder time finding a place without verifiable income. As a property owner sorry but I wouldn't rent to you. Vacancy in apartments are a different story, and with a higher deposit you may be fine. Apartments that you are interested in can likely tell you qualifications they need.

You didn't also ask about a job but just know they're not that easy to find, even minimum wage. I do have a son and two nieces that are young adults that look in that range. My son applied for months without success, went to Cali for awhile but then came back and found a 20 hour a week fast food job within a few days just recently. Portland has added 60% of the jobs back since the recession to give you an idea, and maybe those jobs are in the lower end so is a little easier now.

Hope that helps and wish you luck!

Old 12-08-2012, 05:10 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,359 times
I worked at Elmer's for 4 years, which is basically like a Denny's, and if I made 80 in tips over a 6 hour period, which isn't even that good, usually it's over 100, that's still 80/6 = 13.30. Add in the 8.80 hourly wage, and now you're making 21/hr. realistically you can make 25-30 an hour. I work at The Old Spaghetti Factory and sometimes I can make 80 in a 4 hour shift. That's 28 almost 29 an hour including wages. And these are at ****ty places! I can't imagine what money would be like at Jake's Grill or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland