Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:13 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,253,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Best way to meet women my age in a new city?
Quit posting and reading CD.

Do things outside of your residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM
J24 J24 started this thread

448 posts, read 861,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Quit posting and reading CD.

Do things outside of your residence.
Haha, touche. Well, to my defense it is a Sunday afternoon. I've been watching football all afternoon.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:54 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,253,066 times
Quote:
Haha, touche. Well, to my defense it is a Sunday afternoon. I've been watching football all afternoon.
At home?

Or a sportsbar?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,469,794 times
Quote:
I'm 23. I just moved to Portland, OR from Oklahoma. I work in a small office that is made up of 2 other guys, both of them a decent amount older than I am. At the moment, I'm living alone, but I do have a roommate that will be moving here in about 2 weeks. The only person I know in the city (aside from the 2 co-workers) is that roommate's girlfriend who lives here. Before you tell me to have her introduce me to her friends, she isn't exactly the type of person who would have friends who would be the type of girls I am looking for (she's 24, still lives at home with her parents, has no job, was home-schooled and went to a Bible college; the type of girl I have to try and hold my tongue around).

So, where do I meet girls my age? I'm probably about 20-30 minutes from downtown Portland which is where I'm sure most of the nightlife is. Do I go down there alone? Do I start frequenting the bars around here by myself? I'm really at a loss. I recently graduated from college in May, so I never really had to look far to find people my age. I do know about online dating, and I've considered that, but obviously I'd rather just meet someone in person if there's a way to.
Leave the house is all. Portland is a pretty good place for young singles to find each other.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 AM

102,096 posts, read 107,233,376 times
Join the Mazamas, the local hiking group. It has a big membership, and has singles activities, though that would be more active in the spring. Find out if they have some kind of winter activities, like a film festival or slide shows or something (not exactly hiking season right now). Find out which local bakery/coffeeshop is the singles hangout. In Seattle it's the one with a lot of great home-baked stuff. There may be something like that in Portland, if it's not Starbucks. What are your interests? Local film society? Improv acting classes (I just read that in a where-to-meet-women article posted here)? Scope out the local gyms; some are more open to singles mixing (check out the YMCA. Go to a high-end gym and tell them you're new in town and would like some introductory passes. A lot of places will give you a few free passes as a marketing ploy.) Political action orgs? Enviro orgs? Animal shelter volunteering? (Women love that!) Get the weekly activities calendar from the newspaper, and go do some of the activities, check out the live music, etc. And chat with women while you're sampling all this.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:34 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,775,286 times
Quote:
I'm 23. I just moved to Portland, OR from Oklahoma. I work in a small office that is made up of 2 other guys, both of them a decent amount older than I am. At the moment, I'm living alone, but I do have a roommate that will be moving here in about 2 weeks. The only person I know in the city (aside from the 2 co-workers) is that roommate's girlfriend who lives here. Before you tell me to have her introduce me to her friends, she isn't exactly the type of person who would have friends who would be the type of girls I am looking for (she's 24, still lives at home with her parents, has no job, was home-schooled and went to a Bible college; the type of girl I have to try and hold my tongue around).

So, where do I meet girls my age? I'm probably about 20-30 minutes from downtown Portland which is where I'm sure most of the nightlife is. Do I go down there alone? Do I start frequenting the bars around here by myself? I'm really at a loss. I recently graduated from college in May, so I never really had to look far to find people my age. I do know about online dating, and I've considered that, but obviously I'd rather just meet someone in person if there's a way to.
Go out to some of the bars near where you live, and once you find one you like, just go there certain nights and get to know some locals. Maybe you'll hit it off and make some bar buddies who you have things in common with, then go from there. When I first moved up to Nashville from Florida I didn't know anyone here and after a few months I got to know a few people at this bar by my house who seemed like cool people, but I moved to another part of town and 2 of them moved out of state, so we lost touch and only communicate through facebook now. But it worked for me.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,560,956 times
Quote:
I recently graduated from college in May, so I never really had to look far to find people my age. I do know about online dating, and I've considered that, but obviously I'd rather just meet someone in person if there's a way to.
Yeahh...welcome to the world of socializing as a post-college graduate aged adult. I'm afraid you'll find it only gets more and more difficult as you get farther into your 20's. Meeting chicks in college was easy. Now you work in a office all day with two married dudes (I'm guessing) who are nowhere near your age. It's gonna be tough for awhile since you actually have to go out and try now but you can play the "new guy" angle since most guys your age go out with their buddies. You need to find a couple buddies your age who ideally know some other cool people and are down to kick it on weekends. Oftentimes roommates or some cool neighbors can be a good kickstart to a social life. You can try the bars too if you're comfortable solo. I could tell you some good places and some ones to avoid.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,438,802 times
There is a very active Meetup group called 20's and 30's Awesome Stuff. Though it is for 20's and 30's, I've noticed most members tend to be in their 20's and a lot are new in town. The attendance demographic really depends on the activity. It currently shows over 4,600 members but only members who have visited the site in the last 3 months are considered active so the number of active members is much lower. Just be aware that Meetup events average about a 50% no show rate and not everyone who is still trying to get established in town is looking to date-or date exclusively. Most are just looking for people to hang out with. Meetup also has a lot of groups catered to specific interests. It's a great way to meet people, especially because you tend to see the same people over and over again.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I've been a Meetup organizer and member of various groups for over 4 years now.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM

904 posts, read 1,378,841 times
While I don't live in Oregon City, I shot a lot of pool there, and it's close to you.

Some good places to simply relax and hang out are KC's Midway, and Rodders.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:36 PM

978 posts, read 1,084,520 times
jins and rodders are good bars up the hill in oc. in gladstone the ranch and vogies aren't to bad to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland