Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM

51 posts, read 56,277 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I posted a very similar post to this one in the NC and CO forum, as we are seriously considering the Triangle area (Raleigh) and Denver. We are looking for the best place to settle and plant roots, and Portland sounds amazing in many ways, so I would also like to get some feedback from any of you who may have advice based on our situation.

A little background: My husband and I were raised in Southern CA. Married young. We left begrudgingly with the military and now, looking back, are so glad we did. We have lived in Louisiana (5 years) -lots to love about it, North Dakota (1 year) -not as much to love about it for us, Montana (2 years by the time we leave) and we have visited family in Florida (I was born there) and even spent a few months in New Zealand -lots to love, but better for vacationing in my American opinion.

Leaving CA really opened our eyes to the variety of lifestyles, cultures and views in the world. We still have family and friends that live there and pay a lot for not much of a lifestyle, especially for families (again, in my humble opinion). $450K for a 2 bedroom, 35 year old house, etc. and are hoping to avoid that type of environment.

More about us:
We are non-religious/agnostics (raised as Christians), independents (left leaning Republican or right leaning Democrat), we have 2 children (5 years and 5 months). Husband has a BS in Physics and is finishing his BS in Computer Science at the end of this year. He will be looking for an entry level software engineer job in the area after graduation, so at the end of this year. I am a stay at home mom leaning towards the "natural" end of the stick on parenting... cloth diapers, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling (secular), whole foods, etc.

How accepting is the community of families like ours?
Any city/county recommendations that we should consider looking into or avoid?
What are your complaints and praises for the area?
How bad is the traffic? (coming from a small town it will be shocking, but how does it compare to SoCal traffic?)
Gang presence?
Crime in general? Break-ins?
How is the air quality?
Is there a lot of illegal immigration in the area, and if so, does it affect your quality of life?
How expensive is your cost of living?
Is there any credibility to the idea that Northwesterners are "cold" and not friendly?
What about the notion that grunge is glamorized?
To each his own, we just want to find a good "tribe" area.
How bad is the gloomy weather? We love the sun and warm weather, and I'm obviously sounding like I have multiple personalities considering all these areas, but we really loved Christchurch, New Zealand and Oregon seems very similar weather-wise- lush, green, ferns, huge parks and lots of green trees. Tell me how it is dealing with the gloom!

Any recommendations as far as work in the computer science field or good companies to look into or avoid?
How easy would you say it would be to get a job as an out of stater?

We seem to be torn between Raleigh and Denver as well as Portland and are trying to find out as much as we can without running with stereotypes before visiting our potential home.

Thanks for any input or advice, and feel free to share anything else that might help us make our decision!

Wholly Mama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:42 PM

846 posts, read 610,650 times
I have lived in Raleigh, Denver and here in Portland.

First, you stated "How accepting is the community of families like ours?" Why do you care? You say that you are free thinker so why care what others think and say? If you do care, it doesn't sound so free to me.

Denver weather is the best in terms of sun and warmth. It is a semi arid area where the sun is extremely bright and strong. 50 degrees on a sunny day can I actually feel warm outside.

Raleigh can be extremely stifling in the summer. You won't see too many children playing outside in the summertime.

Portland is colder than the temperature posts. Thank goodness the winters are mild and rarely drops below 30 degrees in the day.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Portland is made up of many communities. I don't believe people will be accepting of the way you choose to live as long as you don't make a big deal over it. You should be able to find like minded people pretty much whatever you do because there are a variety of social, political and religious groups in Portland but most keep a low profile and do not get into each other's business.

If you like stores like Whole Foods, Portland has much better local options. I think you will be pleased with the choices. Lots of local natural produce and produce stores that are so much better can be found here.

Entry level software positions may be difficult to find in Portland. There is a lot of competition unless he has some specialize training most do not have.

Like anyplace else there are gangs but it is a very small issue. I wouldn't be concerned. You will never see them. Traffic can be good or bad depending upon what area you live. It's hard to say but it won't be anything like SoCIal. We do have good public transportation but again that will depend upon where you live. It would definitely worth your while to google Portland neighborhoods and suburbs and absolutely come for a visit and see the territory. Portland does not look like any other place you have mentioned.

People here are friendly enough but they do not get in your face. A bit of reserve. They want to see who you are before making a commitment. At least that is my take on them. But they will be helpful to a neighbor and there are lots of community activities to join if you like. It isn't going to be the Southern warmth you mentioned on your NC post. Having kids people tell me is a real ice breaker and there are lots of things for moms and children to participate in.

The weather is not continual sunshine. We have it but if you love sun, you may miss your sunny days. Most of us really like it though and the summers are beautiful. There are short drives to the mountains and the ocean and everything in between. The scenery is gorgeous wherever you go. And there are little farm stands all along the way. There are also some year around farm stands right in the city.

I don't know what you mean regarding grunge. I thought that went out in the 90's but I don't keep up on that stuff so someone may want to correct me.

No, illegal immigration hasn't affected the quality of my life. That's kind of an odd question of a "freethinker" to ask if I may say so.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Thank you for your replies- a quick Google search will reveal that the term "freethinker" does not mean what you think it means. Portland is beautiful. I am learning that some of my questions will gather opinions rather than facts, so it will be difficult to really understand the area unless I visit myself. Many people reinforce the stereotypes of the area, and internet research will sell you everything from Portland being a dirty and gloomy city to it being a hip, funky, green (eco and color), etc.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
I have lived in Raleigh, Denver and here in Portland.

First, you stated "How accepting is the community of families like ours?" Why do you care? You say that you are free thinker so why care what others think and say? If you do care, it doesn't sound so free to me.

Denver weather is the best in terms of sun and warmth. It is a semi arid area where the sun is extremely bright and strong. 50 degrees on a sunny day can I actually feel warm outside.

Raleigh can be extremely stifling in the summer. You won't see too many children playing outside in the summertime.

Portland is colder than the temperature posts. Thank goodness the winters are mild and rarely drops below 30 degrees in the day.
Someone who is alternative will care about what others think and say more than mainstream citizens for the simple fact that they are most likely to be ostracized for the difference. We also care because the people that make up a city will be our neighbors and affecting the area we live. While I don't want to live in a sect by any stretch of the word, I also would choose to avoid moving to Utah for the fact that I am not a Mormon. Looking for a like-minded tribe is part of our nature as a species.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 PM

846 posts, read 610,650 times
I don't have to look it up. I know what "Free Thinkers" mean and what it represents. I have read many forums with "Free Thinkers" participation.

I think you will find yourself very comfortable here in Portland. Actually, I think you will find most of America very accepting of your philosophy.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,792 times
A quick search shows there are many groups in Portland you can contact for more advice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Free...w=1157&bih=790

Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
So I see you said in the NC forum "We've considered Portland and Denver as alternatives, but they are missing the warmth that I love about the South, (and a lot of other things) so how Southern does NC consider itself? My husband said it seems like it's the South of the North and the North of the South. Maybe a good mix of both worlds?"

Does that mean you have made your decision and ruled out Portland at this point? I think it is true that people in the PNW are not as open as Southerners as a rule. At least that is what the Southerners I know who have moved here from the South have told me.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,584,037 times
I have never heard anyone say that Portland is 'dirty'.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,059,203 times
I've never heard of NC being northern minded in any way shape or form. It is very much a southern state in all regards. The Mason-Dixon Line pretty much exists today with the exceptions of large cities such as DC and Baltimore. I haved lived up and down the east coast for a better part of my life and have seen many people hide their political and religious choices for the safety of ther family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland