Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 04:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,171 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Thanks for reading my post

So my girlfriend and I are looking to buy our first house and looking to get some advice. Here is some back round on us...

Late 20's couple, both Nurses, From Buffalo, NY, Moved here about 1.5 years ago, have a dog, no children (not in the future either), currently living near Woodstock and 87th- we don't love it, but don't hate it either... it is a bit on the ghetto-er side but remember we're from the rust belt so were used to that.

What we are looking for-

$150,000 - $190,000 ish
would like to have a little land, maybe 0.2 acres or more or so
want to be east of the Willamette, South of Vancouver, North of Oregon City, and west of Sandy/Estacada
We'd like to be in a greener area, but would also like to be able to walk to a plaid pantry and a pub, but don't need to be in a trendy neighborhood

We are currently considering Milwaukie as the area that would most likely suit our needs. Also considering outer gresham or troutdale, but they seem a little too suburbian too me (ie big houses, no trees cul-de-sacs... is that about right?)

So Milwaukie... I am a bit worried about the area flooding and having flood damage. Is that a reasonable concern?

Also, is downtown Milwaukie a place me GF and I could go out for drinks and have a good time or is it usually a ghost town at night? (We aren't into clubs or anything crazy... hole in the wall pubs with a shuffle board table do just fine for us

With the new Max line going down there, do you think it will decrease the property value?

Are there any other areas or neighborhoods I should be considering?

Sorry this was so long winded, I just wanted to give an accurate portrait of us and our thoughts and questions.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:46 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I don't know Milwaukie neighborhoods at all so will comment on these communities generally. Many areas in outer Gresham and Troutdale are exposed to wind coming down the Columbia River Gorge. To say it can be very chilly in the winter is putting it mildly.

The only Milwaukie neighborhoods that I am aware of that have had flooding issues are those along the Willamette. Since that is a concern of yours pay a visit to the planning office at the city of Milwaukie. They should have a flood map. "100-year flood plain" is a misnomer, stay well above that level. See if you can get a copy of their flood map.

I think light rail will increase the value of homes in Milwaukie but keep in mind that the politics of Milwaukie is quite different from Portland or Washington County so residents there may not agree with me.

Of the three communities you mention I would prefer Milwaukie.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 01-20-2013 at 11:19 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
The only areas in Milwaukie you really need to worry about flooding is along Johnson Creek. Kellogg Creek, south of town, has flooded a few times in my lifetime (50+ years ... I grew up near Kellogg Creek).

You're going to get a lot more for your money in Milwaukie, as it's not in Multnomah County. The other two towns you mentioned are.

As for "night life." That's a tough one. While Milwaukie does have a nice little downtown area, and you will find bars/restaurants there, it's not a hotbed of activity. There are places to go, but it's not necessarily in the downtown area. But it's a nice community. The county hasn't been welcoming of light rail, but it should increase values once it arrives. Not sure whether you'll find somewhere near the pub or plaid pantry, but you might if you try. You will find larger lots, though.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:49 PM

478 posts, read 881,863 times
You might also want to look a bit south of downtown Milwaukie. There are some nice neighborhoods near McLoughlin, where you can easily walk to some later-night businesses (including pubs and restaurants) and convenience stores. Your price range is a bit low, but do-able if you're not looking for a really big house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland