Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 AM

320 posts, read 417,120 times

Advertisements

I am planning my next trip to Portland (YAY), and can't decide between these two places for breakfast. I hear they are both wonderful, so in your opinion which is better, Pine State Biscuits or Mother's Bistro?
Thank you for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,078 times
I absolutely love Pine State, but have never been to Mother's Bistro. I'm adding it to the list for my next visit....

If you go with Pine State go try a Reggie Deluxe. You won't be disappointed...

Old 02-05-2013, 10:00 AM

11 posts, read 33,553 times
PSB, hands down. I would go to the Alberta St. location also.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM

378 posts, read 974,228 times
If you're from the south you can rule out Pine State. It is billed a southern biscuit shop but it really isn't. My wife is from NC and refuses to eat there but she can be a biscuit purist. If you're not from the south then it's Pine State over Mother's though. Make sure you get there early since the lines can be crazy at the Belmont location. A second option is to go to the Farmer's Market on PSU's campus on Saturday mornings. They have a satellite shop and carries the same menu + the market is the best in town (much better food and farm stuff than the Saturday market).

Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
If you're from the south you can rule out Pine State. It is billed a southern biscuit shop but it really isn't. My wife is from NC and refuses to eat there but she can be a biscuit purist. If you're not from the south then it's Pine State over Mother's though. Make sure you get there early since the lines can be crazy at the Belmont location. A second option is to go to the Farmer's Market on PSU's campus on Saturday mornings. They have a satellite shop and carries the same menu + the market is the best in town (much better food and farm stuff than the Saturday market).
I've lived in the south and there are a ton of different styles of biscuits and gravy. Your wife might be going a bit over board. It's a huge region, buuuuut if its not the NC style she's use to and doesn't like it, I get that. Probably healthier in the long run anyway . She's right though, it's a PNW spin...the gravy is pretty tastey though! I swear!

Im not at alllll better, I do the same thing with crab, bagels, etc. It's fun!

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-05-2013 at 10:55 AM..

Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Considering that the guys who run it are from "the south", I'd say it's just someone's personal preference.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,585 times
never been to PSB, but i love mothers bistro. the lines are long if you don't have reservations and hit it at a busy time.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM

378 posts, read 974,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Considering that the guys who run it are from "the south", I'd say it's just someone's personal preference.
They're from Greensboro and no, it's not. Even myself and my Northern palate can tell the difference. It's would be like someone from China opening a Chinese restaurant and serving Kung Pow chicken claiming to be authentic because they're from China. Have you ever had a true southern biscuit? Or even been to local chain there that serves them to the masses ie. Bojangles? Pine State is good to be sure, but it's as southern as 6 months of snow.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
They're from Greensboro and no, it's not. Even myself and my Northern palate can tell the difference. It's would be like someone from China opening a Chinese restaurant and serving Kung Pow chicken claiming to be authentic because they're from China. Have you ever had a true southern biscuit? Or even been to local chain there that serves them to the masses ie. Bojangles? Pine State is good to be sure, but it's as southern as 6 months of snow.
That's just way too extreme for me. I've lived in the South, I know what you mean - it's definitely different-, but that's a bit hyperbolic, to be fair.

Anyway...is this Mother's Bistro the OP mentioned worth an eat?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:20 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Quote:
I agree with your assessment being from VA (outside of the DC area), but it's still pretty good food and not too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: