Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM

158 posts, read 450,879 times

Advertisements

As EnricoV stated, we are about 12 miles from Seattle. We travel more to Issaquah (15 miles) than to Seattle. And with only two ways of getting, it is sometimes a drag. But not having to commute to or from work is huge. Definitely a plus, and I would be looking for a similar situation, though the one I have been contemplating is not like that.

I found a couple of places in Portland for good deals, though maybe not in the best of areas. There was one that was $500/mo being a fixer-upper (landlord supplies materials). Not a bad deal, especially since I am in the apartment maintenance industry.

Where we live now is in a little sub-community right next to Boeing. It is quite bland and highly based around consumerism. Not opposed to living around commercial, but when you live in one of two buildings within a mile without any other residential nearby, it gets pretty boring. Haha. Target, a theatre, and other things are right outside, but we aren't really into all that. We like smaller, local shops, and real grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uRabbit View Post
As EnricoV stated, we are about 12 miles from Seattle. We travel more to Issaquah (15 miles) than to Seattle. And with only two ways of getting, it is sometimes a drag. But not having to commute to or from work is huge. Definitely a plus, and I would be looking for a similar situation, though the one I have been contemplating is not like that.

I found a couple of places in Portland for good deals, though maybe not in the best of areas. There was one that was $500/mo being a fixer-upper (landlord supplies materials). Not a bad deal, especially since I am in the apartment maintenance industry.

Where we live now is in a little sub-community right next to Boeing. It is quite bland and highly based around consumerism. Not opposed to living around commercial, but when you live in one of two buildings within a mile without any other residential nearby, it gets pretty boring. Haha. Target, a theatre, and other things are right outside, but we aren't really into all that. We like smaller, local shops, and real grocery stores.
Smaller, local shops, and real grocery stores usually can be found in the more expensive neighborhoods of Portland. Where is your $500 fixer-upper and the other areas you having been looking at? We can tell you if they are the best of areas or not.

What is your price range realistically and what do you hope to find for it in Portland?

Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Smaller, local shops, and real grocery stores usually can be found in the more expensive neighborhoods of Portland. Where is your $500 fixer-upper and the other areas you having been looking at? We can tell you if they are the best of areas or not.

What is your price range realistically and what do you hope to find for it in Portland?
1 or 2 bedrooms for under $1,100 (utilities included). That would probably put rent around the same as what we are paying now. $900. The good thing is that this is not a time-sensitive thing, and we actually plan on moving in a few years, with a larger budget.

I can't find the fixer-upper anymore, but I don't think it listed a location. Nor did it have any images.

Here is one. - NW Portland (Stadium, W. Burnside St.)
This one. - SE Portland 97266
Another. - 10605 A SE Bush St
And lastly. - Harrison & 145th

These were all posted today. It may be easier to just list which areas to avoid. Haha. I try to use websites like NeighborhoodScout.com, but am not sure how accurate they are.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
In my neighborhood which is very trendy and close-in one bedrooms around me go for $1000 heat included. Two bedrooms are pretty rare but from what I see they usually start at around $1200. This is for the older buildings across the street of me and next door. Duplexes according to the signs when they are available I have seen begin around $1400.

This is the area that is called Hawthorne. It has shops, restaraunts, good bus service and is very popular. I live in a small one bedroom apartment (onlu one closet) where heat is not included and I pay $768 but I have lived there for many years and the landlord gives me a break because I am a longtime tenant and on SS. Present rents I believe have been raised close to $900.00. He charges a bit less than those that include heat because these apartments are poorly insulated and are difficult to heat.

Of the neighborhoods you have listed, I am familiar with the NW stadium and Burnside. It can be a bit rough around the edges a little but there are some nice apartments along the way and there is very good public transportation and shopping. Right next to downtown.

I am not familiar with the others except they are I think pretty far away from the city in general and I don't think you will find little shops there. I am sure there are others here who are familiar with them.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In my neighborhood which is very trendy and close-in one bedrooms around me go for $1000 heat included. Two bedrooms are pretty rare but from what I see they usually start at around $1200. This is for the older buildings across the street of me and next door. Duplexes according to the signs when they are available I have seen begin around $1400.

This is the area that is called Hawthorne. It has shops, restaraunts, good bus service and is very popular. I live in a small one bedroom apartment (onlu one closet) where heat is not included and I pay $768 but I have lived there for many years and the landlord gives me a break because I am a longtime tenant and on SS. Present rents I believe have been raised close to $900.00. He charges a bit less than those that include heat because these apartments are poorly insulated and are difficult to heat.

Of the neighborhoods you have listed, I am familiar with the NW stadium and Burnside. It can be a bit rough around the edges a little but there are some nice apartments along the way and there is very good public transportation and shopping. Right next to downtown.

I am not familiar with the others except they are I think pretty far away from the city in general and I don't think you will find little shops there. I am sure there are others here who are familiar with them.
Good to know!

Also, safety/security really is number one, as we have a little one. So even if it is a little removed and not trendy, it would still be worth the look.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I hate how people presume that having to pay income tax in Oregon and not in Washington means that Washingtonians don't pay that same amount (or more) in other taxes, that Oregonians don't. In fact, as I recall, Washington had a higher tax burden than Oregon, last time I looked.
Well, as an accountant, you've got my interest piqued with this comment. Real property taxes would be figured into your rent, so that's irrelevant here since the rent is advertised in both locations and is known ahead of time. Corporate income tax and personal property taxes would be figured into your wages, which would be known ahead of time, so again that's irrelevant. I could see certain fees being considered as taxes (e.g. license plate fees), but I'd imagine that isn't too much of a difference between the two. So other than the sales tax, which would only apply to a small percentage of your actual income, what other (state/local) taxes would be talking about that would put any major chunk into offsetting the 9% income tax difference?

My guess is that Washington probably has a much higher real property tax burden than Oregon, but as stated, that's irrelevant here, since the rent is known.

Furthermore, if that is true that WA has a higher burden, I wonder how that would be calculated. If it's a combination of federal and state burden, the higher level of wealth in WA would naturally increase the overall taxes paid (FIT, corporate income taxes, real property taxes, etc.), and therefore drag the entire state's burden higher.

Last edited by wanderbygrace; 02-07-2013 at 11:24 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
Well, as an accountant, you've got my interest piqued with this comment. Real property taxes would be figured into your rent, so that's irrelevant here since the rent is advertised in both locations and is known ahead of time. Corporate income tax and personal property taxes would be figured into your wages, which would be known ahead of time, so again that's irrelevant. I could see certain fees being considered as taxes (e.g. license plate fees), but I'd imagine that isn't too much of a difference between the two. So other than the sales tax, which would only apply to a small percentage of your actual income, what other (state/local) taxes would be talking about that would put any major chunk into offsetting the 9% income tax difference?

My guess is that Washington probably has a much higher real property tax burden than Oregon, but as stated, that's irrelevant here, since the rent is known.

Furthermore, if that is true that WA has a higher burden, I wonder how that would be calculated. If it's a combination of federal and state burden, the higher level of wealth in WA would naturally increase the overall taxes paid (FIT, corporate income taxes, real property taxes, etc.), and therefore drag the entire state's burden higher.
For most people it boils down to Oregon's state income tax vs. Washington's sales tax. It depends highly on your spending habits but I'd assume most people would come out ahead in WA. I know I'd have roughly $300 extra dollars in my pocket every month in Washington, all else being equal. Obviously some sales tax would nibble out of that, but in my case, not much.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 AM

As for the original question, I'd be a little careful with the assumption that Portland metro is cheaper than Seattle metro. Rents might be a little lower, but then again, so are wages and job opportunities (generally speaking - I read the OP has a job prospect), and the tax structure isn't as favorable to middle class people IMO.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Well, Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed (yes, I know it's not an absolute authority) says:

Quote:
A salary of $50,000 in Portland, Oregon should increase to $61,668 in Seattle, Washington

Seattle is 23% more expensive than Portland.

Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.

Housing is 58% more expensive in Seattle.

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2013 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 AM

I assume they're comparing the costs of purchasing/owning a single family home in the two cities proper. In that case yes, Seattle would be significantly more expensive, but that scenario doesn't apply to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland