Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,906,745 times

Advertisements

We've been thinking about moving to the Forest Grove area. We are currently in SW Portland (garden home).

I really like having a THPRD rec center/library nearby, and there are lots of recreation options with parks and gyms and classes that are independently owned in Portland/Beaverton.

Looking around forest grove all I could find was a Senior Community Center and the Aquatic center. Do most people in FG go to Hillsboro for THPRD type recreation options? or is there something I'm missing? I'd like to sign my kids up for martial arts or take a yoga class, etc. I can't seem to find a good place for that, and figured that even though FG was small, it would have some more options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,894,772 times
Going to Hillsboro or even Beaverton is an option if you can't find what you want in FG. I haven't really noticed any martial arts studio's there but there might be one. I am sure the Aquatic Center fills most of the need of the community for those kinds of offerings. The library in FG is alright but the one in Hillsboro is better and the one in Portland is better still. It amazes me, however, that Washington County can keep their libraries open full time and Multnomah County cannot. But that's another thread. You asked about FG's recreation offerings... they're pretty basic. You'll have to decide if that is a deal-breaker or not.

H

Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,906,745 times
Thanks for the reply. It's not really a dealbreaker for us, I think FG has benefits that outweigh having fewer amenities.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:57 PM

6 posts, read 4,688 times
Default Considering Forest Grove too...question for you

Hi, we are also considering moving to Forest Grove and are wondering what the recreational options are there. We are currently in Beaverton. Did you end up moving to FG and if so, are you happy there? Is it a good town to raise kids in? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
We've been thinking about moving to the Forest Grove area. We are currently in SW Portland (garden home).

I really like having a THPRD rec center/library nearby, and there are lots of recreation options with parks and gyms and classes that are independently owned in Portland/Beaverton.

Looking around forest grove all I could find was a Senior Community Center and the Aquatic center. Do most people in FG go to Hillsboro for THPRD type recreation options? or is there something I'm missing? I'd like to sign my kids up for martial arts or take a yoga class, etc. I can't seem to find a good place for that, and figured that even though FG was small, it would have some more options.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:46 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,894,772 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...attle-ish.html

As you can see they did, in fact, move to FG. Maybe they will respond, if not overwhelmed with the challenges of an inter-state relocation. I worked in FG for all of the time that christner81 was there but we never met that I am aware of. I would raise children there. There are lots of children being raised there as we speak. Lots. But, that being said, FG is what 20,000 people of all ages? And it has a college. That will skew things. It also pretty much means just one of everything, including gas stations. Beaverton and/or Hillsboro are far bigger and all that that represents.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:53 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,421,916 times
Don't forget the best thing about Forest Grove:

Forest Grove Police Log

It almost makes me regret that we did not end up moving there.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:06 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,261,758 times
Hillsboro has a LOT of martial arts, they're just spread out all around different sections of the city. School of Respect on Main Street is a very popular one and has been around for some time. There's an Impact Jiu Jitsu martial arts close to it, too, although I haven't heard anything about it.

I think if you Google martial arts in Hillsboro you will be surprised at what you find.

I recommend Beaverton for a library. Outside of an outstanding library, the grounds area is large and even has a crazy fountain area for the kids to play in. Keep in mind that a library card enables you to patronize ALL the libraries in Washington County, so you don't have to stick with the same one all the time.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I recommend Beaverton for a library. Outside of an outstanding library, the grounds area is large and even has a crazy fountain area for the kids to play in. Keep in mind that a library card enables you to patronize ALL the libraries in Washington County, so you don't have to stick with the same one all the time.
Even the little Aloha library? I thought that one was independent. It's the only one I have a card from.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:20 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,261,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Even the little Aloha library? I thought that one was independent. It's the only one I have a card from.

If it says Washington County on it then it should be all-inclusive. What does your card look like?

Old 04-02-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
If it says Washington County on it then it should be all-inclusive. What does your card look like?
It doesn't say Washington County. It's pretty minimalist. It says Aloha Community Library. I'm guessing it's not affiliated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland