Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
First, the legal students would be subsidizing (through higher tuition rates) illegal students, if in-stae tuition is extended to illegal students in the future.

Second, the "other complicating issue" is not at all complicated. You find it "complicated" because you let your "feelings" dictate your reasoning and thinking. When the parents made the decision to illegally enter the United States, they weighed the risks and consequences and decided the potential rewards were worth it. They knew that they were breaking the law and that they and the child or children that they brought with them would be subject to deportation. They also knew that any children that were born here would be US citizens and not subject to deportation.

If the family members, who are illegal aliens, are faced with deportation one day, then the parents can either: 1) Take all of the children (including those who are US citizens) back to their native country (the children who are US citizens will not lose their citizenship and will always be able to return to the United States, at any time in the future), or 2) make arrangements to have the USC children stay with relatives or friends who agree to take physical, legal, and financial responsibility for them. Will that create a hardship for the family? Perhaps but it is a hardship of their own creation. No one put a gun to any of their heads and made them come to the US illegally, that decision was rendered of their own free will and free will is a mother******.

The moral of the story is if you want to come to the United States, do so by:

1) making a legal entry at a designated port of entry (POE), and

2) be in possession of a valid passport (assigned to you) with the valid and proper visa to be legally admissible.

The process cannot be any simpler and if you will not follow it, then I have little sympathy for you.

Please remember that much like driving, entering any foreign country (foreign country is defined as any country that you are not a citizen of) is a privilege, not a right. Every country reserves the right to refuse admission and/or entry to anyone who is not a citizen of said country.

As much as some of you may wish for a world without borders, that is not the reality and never will be because sovereign nations want to remain sovereign and controlling the ingress and egress of who crosses their borders is the first basic step.
you don't think deporting parents and one child but not younger children isn't complicated? it has nothing to do with feelings. it's a logistical complication. your subsidizing comments lead me to believe you are unfamiliar with how public higher education is funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
you don't think deporting parents and one child but not younger children isn't complicated? it has nothing to do with feelings. it's a logistical complication. your subsidizing comments lead me to believe you are unfamiliar with how public higher education is funded.
It's a logistical complication for who?

Please explain what you mean.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:39 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Ignor the laws and you have anarchy.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM

It goes to the Senate today.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM

59 posts, read 70,533 times
How exactly is this fair to kids paying out of state tuition who are American citizens?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
As my mother frequently told me, No one said life was fair.

The in-state/out-of-state distinction is based on the fact that if you live in-state, you've contributed to the tax base that supports schools. And that's true whatever your residency status. If you don't live in the state, you haven't contributed, whatever your residency status is.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,364 times
All illegals need to be sent back to where they came from. They should not receive any benefits of any kind available to citizens. If a foreigner wants to attend an American college, they need to go to where they were born, apply from there, and come in on a student visa legally. We should not be providing free public education to them at all. What we really need is to imprison and take the business or property of anyone who provides housing or jobs to them which would make it not worth the while, not offer educational or medical services, and change the rules so that you are only a citizen if you are born here to parents who are citizens. This is how it works in other countries and they are not infested with undesirables from Central and South America the way we are. It is a slap in the face of those who came here legally and followed the rules and also to those of us who are citizens because it disrespects us and our country to come illegally. We are not the ghetto of the world. We cannot take in everyone who wants to come here. They are criminals and in violation of our laws which make them undesirables. This has nothing to do with racism. That is how I feel about anyone from any country pulling this. I love legal immigrants from any country.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM

They are your legislators. Call 'em up and tell them.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM

59 posts, read 70,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
As my mother frequently told me, No one said life was fair.

The in-state/out-of-state distinction is based on the fact that if you live in-state, you've contributed to the tax base that supports schools. And that's true whatever your residency status. If you don't live in the state, you haven't contributed, whatever your residency status is.
Yes but it's undermining legal immigration. You can't just do whatever you feel like and expect be catered to. There are laws for a reason, what makes these illegal immigrants so special? Do I feel bad for the kids who were brought here? Yes; but tough luck. My parents kicked me out of the house at 18 with no support in any sense because I was an atheist and I didn't get anything special. It's life.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Illegal immigration is one issue. In-state/Out-of-state tuition is a different one.

As far as I can see, there's nothing "special" about "these illegal immigrants." They are residents of the state of Oregon. They should pay in-state tuition. That's not special. That's what everyone else pays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland