Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 PM

51 posts, read 90,008 times

Advertisements

Hey, 22 year old single male here. I am thinking about moving into Portland soon. Just wondering how it is as a city for a young male. What areas are good places to live to meet young people. I think I would like to be walking distance to the nighlife and be where young people live. I do like nightlife and would love to be part of a vibrant nightlife.

How is the social vibe of the city? Quality of life?Traffic? Economy? Price of living?

I am not really into that whole hippy/environmentalism (not against it, I am just not into politics and don't get active in social issues) thing but I have been surrounded in a liberal environment for most of my life and a lot of my friends in the past have been into that sort of stuff so I think I may fit ok that regard.

Any other info, other questions I should be asking, any recommendations or whatever else will be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit: I will need to own a car

Last edited by lostboii; 02-19-2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:55 AM

Edit: I would like to not spend more than 1300 a month. I could go over but I would prefer not to. I looked online and many places don't have rent listed so I am trying to get a feel for good places with this budget. Please feel free to comment if the budget is too low or too high(??).
Also are there any ways to find other young professionals in area for apartment-mates possibly. Craigslist always seems so shady...

Old 02-20-2013, 08:59 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
There are a few areas that I think would suit you ...
Downtown
NW Portland, along 23rd
Alberta Arts District
NE 26th & Burnside

The Pearl is also good, but would probably be older than you want.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Ah thats really good to know. The pearl was the place I was thinking about but I did not know the age demographics.
How is the traffic in the mornings from downtown area to the Hillsboro/Beaverton area?
Anyone know of specific pretty nice apartment buildings that have a lot of younger people living in it (maybe even sort of a college apartment feel to it)? I know I will most likely be pretty busy most of the time so it may be hard to meet new people as easily.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Is your destination in Hillsboro convenient to the MAX?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM

hmm thats a good question. I looked it up online and it seems there is one about 2 miles away.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
2 miles is a long walk but doable if you can use a bike. The MAX accommodates bikes. Major employers run their own shuttles.

Personally I would live where transit was an option to work but it may not be practical for your specific situation.

If you will be working for a large employer they often have bulletin boards where you can post a room-mate request, ask your HR representative.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboii View Post
Ah thats really good to know. The pearl was the place I was thinking about but I did not know the age demographics.
How is the traffic in the mornings from downtown area to the Hillsboro/Beaverton area?
Anyone know of specific pretty nice apartment buildings that have a lot of younger people living in it (maybe even sort of a college apartment feel to it)? I know I will most likely be pretty busy most of the time so it may be hard to meet new people as easily.
Apartments in the southern end of downtown, around Portland State University, are filled with young people.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM

ah I see. Maybe what I will do is try to live near a transit area so I have the option to take max atleast some of the times. Maybe if it is too rainy I drive.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It helps with doing some of my research.

Btw anyone know anything about indigo@12west or cyan? They look super nice, but I am assuming the price is sky high?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostboii View Post

Btw anyone know anything about indigo@12west or cyan? They look super nice, but I am assuming the price is sky high?
You assume right. Indigo is a really nice building, but it feels a lot like an IKEA show room to me. It's a great location though and the view from the top floor is absolutely amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland