Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:28 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,418 times

Advertisements

Hey all, made several posts and threads over the course over a year in regards to getting information on fufilling my dream of getting outa my homestate at long last and start a new part of my life and bachelorhood in Portland hopefully some time this year.

I've got a large city map posted on my wall that im using to mark locations of good rental spots, scenery and stuff like that. Recently came to me attention that it would be usefull to know the more "unsafe" sections of Portland that would best to be avoided during night time and or driving with no particular place to go other then sight seeing around.

Can you have me some area's, blocks and or streets that I can mark so I can avoid having any unpleasant experiences being a new comer to your city and area? Thanks much. If it matters, I'm a white, early 30's male that isn't a fighter and doesn't pack heat either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,781 times
When visiting a city for the first time it is a good idea to NOT AVOID any area. If you choose to live there one day how do you expect to make a wise decision where to live? By exploring all areas and using common sense when to go day or night you get a better lay of the land. This will help you in becoming more experienced in urban exploration.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Because I tend to lack common sense at times and dont' have a good built in sense of perception of my surroundings so hense why I am asking

Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Stay within the areas where it's understood that an apostrophe shouldn't be used to denote plurality, and you will be fine.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:58 PM

16 posts, read 37,821 times
lol, why is so hard for people on this forum to just answer a simple question?

honestly, there aren't too many parts of portland that you need to avoid.

maybe one or two blocks in old town.

some people get freaked out going east of 205, but it's mostly just poor people and immigrants over there, nothing too unsafe. there are gangs, but the violence is almost exclusively gang vs gang.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Stay within the areas where it's understood that an apostrophe shouldn't be used to denote plurality, and you will be fine.
Can I have a straight damn answer instead of this crap?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
OK, I'll try to help:

How about using the Search Function for the Portland Forums?
Two pages of posts show up when you enter "unsafe areas".
I'm sure you can get a lot more info if you type in the specific names of neighborhoods.
This question gets asked all the time.

If you have an address or cross street, you can enter it here and see all the crime stats you could ever want to see, and make your own decisions:
http://www.portlandmaps.com/maps/police/

That way you won't have to interact with people and deal with "crap".

AAJN probably gave you the best "straight damn answer" you're going to get for such a general question, BTW.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-21-2013 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 04:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Kind of the rule of thumb, the more expensive the rent, the better the neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Don't visit the "Old Town" neighborhood after dark, and during the day don't make eye contact with vagrants.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Can I have a straight damn answer instead of this crap?
Unfortunately, not from some people, no.

There really are no areas of Portland that I think need to be avoided if you're driving. You're not likely to turn down some street and be set upon by thugs, or anything.

Walking at night, if you're in an area with sidewalks and street lighting, you're going to be fine as long as you're vigilant to what's going on around you.

Seriously, your car (on its own) is more likely to be the crime victim than you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: