Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 14,289 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am a married 57 year-old male who is living in Twin Falls Idaho with my 47 year old wife and raising our 7 year old grandson.we moved here on the belief that my wife's daughter was dying of liver cancer, suprise! it was a lie. Sooo...here we are, I am employed as a machinist repairing molds for a large pvc pipe manufacturer, and my wife is the seafood manager of a corporate grocery chain.I was a commercial fisherman for 30 years and went back to school to be a machinist. The thing is I hate it here.the people, right-wing conservatives. "Northern Bible Belt" self-righteous smug arrogant and mean.and then there are the LDSer's that pretty much run this city.I have been to Portland numerous times and I liked it. Ilived in Eureka Ca. for 20 years so I know gray and wet,I also play music and this place is a nightmare for the arts. period I have been called a hippy and a progressive liberal so what if I believe we should shoot our t.v. Anyway,this is not my kind of town,any suggestions on a certian area of portlandia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
First focus on a job search and construct a budget. Then we can discuss neighborhoods.

Because health insurance is an issue these days, do you have legal custody of your grandson? You need to make sure that you won't be forced to abandon him with a move.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:02 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Portland is a lot sunnier than Eureka.

Don't usually get to say that Portland is sunnier than anyplace. That was fun!

Last edited by jjpop; 03-03-2013 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Good point Neil. Without the court documents they can not get medical treatment.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:56 PM

10 posts, read 14,289 times
Cool Twinn Falls to Portland

Yes we have legal guardianship of said kidlett,his mother is running the streets of Sacramento,with a huge drug problem and still thinks it's a cool lifestyle after 11 years of hardcore using. Treatment is not an option, she won't even consider it. she has had chances time and time again, to get treatment and it's never taken. So that's where that stands, So how is Portland fixed for venues when it comes to playing music? I know kareoke has made a huge dent in availability of places to play, and if you can make 100 bucks a night yer doin good, that hasn't changed in years. I also worked as a woodcarver in Eureka making burlwood mantels and tables for three years I just need a place that is conducive to the arts and has like-minded people to talk and exchange ideas on the world and politics, that have some rational, intelligent, THOUGHT behind it. Sick of hearing about god, jesus, guns, and the Broncos.Thats pretty much what matters here,and oh yeah can't forget Obama it's all his fault

Old 03-03-2013, 04:26 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Portland has nurtured several successful musicians and music groups, Pink Martini and Esperanza Spalding come to mind. I don't know if you can make a living as a musician in Portland, it isn't easy to do that in most communities.

You should look for work as a machinist. Typing that occupation in the key word field at the State of Oregon Employment service produced quite a list in Portland Metro. Craigslist Portland produced 65 (many of which are doubtless the same opening).

While you wife may not find a management job in her field she is likely to find work at the likes of New Seasons.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 03-03-2013 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 04:59 PM

And "Seafood Mama"

Old 03-03-2013, 05:08 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
As a machinist you should be able to find something easy. If not with the Port of Portland or the City of Portland, there are a ton of companies in the NW Industrial area that could use your skills. Another option is at one of the dozen bicycle manufacturing companies that have sprung up in the past five years.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
One word of caution though, you mention Portlandia, but do not expect the entire city to be like the TV show of that name because it is not. Much of Portland will probably suit you but you will also find the same things you do not like here in the place where you are living now.

The difference I think is that in Portland there is much more of a live and let live attitude so if you are tolerant of them they will be tolerant of you as well no matter of who the them and the you may be.

Other than that, I believe you will do just fine. Best of luck to you and your family. I think you will enjoy living here.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
As a machinist you should be able to find something easy. If not with the Port of Portland or the City of Portland, there are a ton of companies in the NW Industrial area that could use your skills. Another option is at one of the dozen bicycle manufacturing companies that have sprung up in the past five years.
There are more machinst jobs in Portland than people realize. Get hired before moving though. I worked as a screw machine operator when I first moved to Portland in the mid 1960's and the number of shops surprised me. Later when I worked at OMSI, I was surprised even more to see that by the early 1980's the number of shops had doubled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: