Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 PM

13 posts, read 15,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
A property owner may overlook your credit score with that salary. Put together a personal marketing plan, acknowledge the credit score issue if necessary with an explanation of how it got that way and a reference from your current landlord (if you have been renting). The landlord wants tenants who care for their property and pay the rent on time.
Nell...that is great advice! I really appreciate it. Since I have now told my friends in the area that we are moving, I'm thinking they may be a little disappointed if it falls through because of living arrangements. Not to mention my employer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Can you get a co-signer lined up?
I don't and I would hate to burden someone like that...

Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 PM

It isn't panic time yet, but close.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Going back to your original housing hunt: 4 bedrooms are rare, you will have more options if you can make a 3 bedroom work. Your housing budget isn't generous but I found 16 (incl 5 houses) 4 bedrooms on Craigslist in Washington County (Beaverton, Hillsboro) vs 408 (73 houses) with 3 bedrooms for $1,500/mo or less.

I have never tried the Craigslist mapping tool until this moment but there appears to be a couple houses in SW, Bridlemile & Burlingame neighborhoods. I am focusing in neighborhoods convenient to arterials.

Start looking and have your 'I'm the best tenant you've never met' marketing plan at the ready if you see anything you want.

It could be worse, my niece & her husband just moved to S. San Francisco from the mid-west with 4 kids, a salary probably not a lot higher than yours and likely lots of school debt (PhD Math).

Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Are you answering ads in Craig's List or Padmapper or other private propery owners only? I think this may be a more difficult way to find a rental. You may have better luck contacting property managment companies if you haven't gone that route yet. They will have more properties available in more areas and may be more willing to work with you with your credit history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland