Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,298 times

Advertisements

I am a 28 year old college educated male looking to relocate to the Portland area. I have a bachelors degree in biology but no work lined up. I have a few thousand to get me there but not much planned beyond that. I have wanted to live on the west coast for the better part of a decade now and have just lost my job so I figure no time better than the present, right? I'm born and raised in the South but have had about all I can take of the ignorance and narrow minded of this region. I've read some bothersome posts on the job outlook in the Portland area, but it can't be any worse than anywhere else. A ****ty job here can't be worse than a ****ty job there except I'll be where I want to be so maybe that will make it less ****ty. My main concern at this time is finding a good place to live. So I'm curious as to where are the best places to live in Portland? I'm looking for a safe area, preferably with parks for my dog and I to explore. Any advice/opinions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:49 PM

347 posts, read 669,362 times
Before you ask about places to live you should really find a job first. Not only is that just generally the smart thing to do but also nobody can help you unless they know where you are working and how much you want to spend on rent.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
When do you plan on moving? The reason I am asking is because when the summer months arrive there will be apartment buildings completed that will have small but inexpensive studio apartments available that will ease the the very low vacancy rate and also the very high rent prices. So you may want to hold off until then to move but work at getting a job lined up in the meantime.

The two most difficult things to obtain in Portland right now unless you have a highly sought skill, money in the bank and a job lined up are a job and an inexpensive apartment. A few thousand dollars will get you maybe through one month.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
A degree in Biology won't get you much, except that some jobs require a college degree of any sort.

The Forest Service hires people with biology degrees for Ranger positions. It doesn't pay much, many of the positions are seasonal, and, because Oregon is a desirable place to live, competition for those jobs is ferocious. But, put in an application. Who knows, maybe you will be one of the lucky ones.

The businesses that do environmental studies might hire biologists, but those positions tend to be already filled and nobody is volunteering to give up those jobs to create an opening.

Try the state, local, and federal job sites. Sometimes something comes up. Biology jobs tend to be specialized and there are specialized degrees that are what is required. Biology jobs also tend to be government jobs and all the governments are cutting back on the budget.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
i have a BS in biology and work in research administration at OHSU. OHSU typically has openings for lab techs (research assistant 2) but there are also many applicants for those kinds of jobs; last week they announced a hiring freeze which may affect job postings depending on the funding source. I think your best bet would be to continue in whatever biological field you have the most experience in, that would help you focus on which prospects would be best suited for you. don't expect to be hired just because you have a biology degree and that the employer will train you on specific techniques - they want to hire someone they don't need to train. you may find when all is said and done it's not worth it. the pay is low for the COL, imo.

you can PM me your skills and i can see about giving you some more specific advice.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
I am the world’s worst speller, but than the state of California saw fit to skip me from third grade to fifth grade, so I missed out on some important basic learning. I have trouble understanding why someone (not the OP) with a BS in Biology and working at OHSU would have so much trouble using Capitalization.

The list of failures lie along the streets of Portland like dry leaves. Coming here without a job is the biggest contributor. Having just enough to get here could put your name on that list too. But come ahead, there are still empty doorways to be had.

Do the smart thing. Get a job before you spend what little you have chasing a dream. A poopy job here could well be worse than a poopy job there, and that supposes you will get one.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
i have a BS in biology and work in research administration at OHSU. OHSU typically has openings for lab techs (research assistant 2) but there are also many applicants for those kinds of jobs; last week they announced a hiring freeze which may affect job postings depending on the funding source. I think your best bet would be to continue in whatever biological field you have the most experience in, that would help you focus on which prospects would be best suited for you. don't expect to be hired just because you have a biology degree and that the employer will train you on specific techniques - they want to hire someone they don't need to train. you may find when all is said and done it's not worth it. the pay is low for the COL, imo.

you can PM me your skills and i can see about giving you some more specific advice.
This I think is so true for many degree holders in many fields. When I was in the work force I noticed fewer and fewer employers willing to train people because there were so many experienced candidates with lots of experience and knowledge looking for work.

It's really tough out there these days. That's why even a little experience goes a long way over none at all.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I am the world’s worst speller, but than the state of California saw fit to skip me from third grade to fifth grade, so I missed out on some important basic learning. I have trouble understanding why someone (not the OP) with a BS in Biology and working at OHSU would have so much trouble using Capitalization.
it doesn't trouble me at all. i don't type the same way on forums that i do at work. I am an impeccable speller.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
it doesn't trouble me at all. i don't type the same way on forums that i do at work. I am an impeccable speller.
Not a big deal. I figure you are younger and most likely using a smart phone. Besides I am just in a mood today.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Not a big deal. I figure you are younger and most likely using a smart phone. Besides I am just in a mood today.
the smart phone is SO smart that it capitalizes for me. I haven't figured out a way to get this forum on a smart phone without using a browser. anyone know if there is an app? yes, I am young-ish. I don't really care about forum grammar as long as it's readable (as opposed to text-speak).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: