Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 PM

161 posts, read 387,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruesteph View Post
I really hope not. My opinion is that new-to-Portland people should have to wait six months before even applying to charter schools. Families that have been in Portland, helping build it's economy should have priority. Too many people moving in, taking jobs we desperately need, hiking rents, clogging our highways etc make it very difficult for local families to live in the city WE built. Wait in line.
How rude of you. I'm sure the OP has been paying her taxes elsewhere and building that economy and I'm sure other families are moving to where she's coming from too and taking advantage of what shes been paying into. It's the cycle of life my friend. Humans have always been nomads. This is not YOUR city, nor YOUR state. This is our country and our planet, get over it. Not happy... then move out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 10:23 PM

32,606 posts, read 47,873,838 times
Gosh, and the incomers wonder where the resentment comes from.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:51 PM

254 posts, read 442,058 times
Wow, how disheartening to see such hatred. Get over yourself. You don't live in a gilded Mecca. It's just Portland. It's a lovely place, and yeah gentrification can be awful to live through, but people are going to come whether you like it or not.

Everyone deserves access to the public schools, regardless of whether they've lived there for a day or a decade. That's part of being "public." However, I understand and stand behind the PPS policy of not allowing someone to sign up for the lottery until after moving. It makes sense. Until someone is there, they're not a resident. Services are for residents.

OP - have you considered moving into the actual residential boundary for the Mandarin Immersion programs?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,440,244 times
Quote:
How rude of you. Not happy... then move out!
Quote:
Gosh, and the incomers wonder where the resentment comes from.
Quote:
Wow, how disheartening to see such hatred.

You guys just remember there are many sides to every story.

That is most likely a troll post (and you fell for it), but you guys are not even trying to understand where that poster may be coming from before shouting him down.
There is a tiny kernel of truth in what he is saying.

Do a forum search on Oregonian's opinions of outsiders. It's nothing new.
Some natives complain, some newcomers shout them down.
It's the "cycle of life" my friend...
Get over it.

Most true native Oregonians that feel that way have long since learned to keep their mouth shut about it.
But it comes out in other ways.

For the record, I am a native Oregonian, born and raised in Portland.
I was not happy there anymore, and I did move out.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 04-15-2013 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM

254 posts, read 442,058 times
Hey, I live in Southern California, I understand why that person might be feeling that way. We have seen plenty, plenty, plenty of gentrification and people flocking by the dozens.

I have every right to feel disheartened. It's a terrible frame of mind to be suspicious and hateful towards outsiders. And, honestly, it hurts the haters more.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,440,244 times
Well,,, Don't get me wrong. I am not pissed at anybody.

Personally, I knew Oregon as it was (and I am speaking mainly on the "outdoorsman" side of things) and cry about about what Oregon has become everyday.

I am pushing the oblique side of sixty or seventy or something, so consider me ancient, and not in touch.
(Just fooling, I know what's going on)

But I realize you can't stop progress.
Manifest destiny and all that....

Portland, really, I could care less about.
Portland is for Portlanders, no matter where they come from.
It's the city that "Portlanders" want to make it.
Enough said.
It isn't for everybody, and that includes people like me.

Sorry to say, the animosity does exist, even though you will probably never experience it personally.
It's probably because everybody that you will meet in your age group is from somewhere else..........
True Oregonians are too polite, and fall back on the northwestern trait of being passive-aggressive, which will make you wonder if it's you or them.
Don't get paranoid!

(BTW, I used a lot of smileys to indicate my ambivalance, detached interest and lack of any personal power to change things regarding this matter)

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 04-15-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: