U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 03:01 PM

27 posts, read 33,591 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be heading out there in about two weeks for some job interviews. I've been there before, but there are two things that I was never sure about:

1) Is it ok to drive in the same lanes as the streetcars and Max around downtown? Are you basically just supposed to treat them as buses on the road?
2) I know that in Oregon you can't pump your own gasoline into your car. There's usually someone that does it for you. What's the etiquette for that? Are you required to tip them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 03:48 PM

6,413 posts, read 11,416,691 times
1. You can drive in Streetcar lanes, but not MAX. They're very clearly set apart. Shouldn't be an issue.

2. No tipping.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM

10,937 posts, read 19,121,544 times
You can travel in the same lane as a street car but not the MAX.

It is not customary to tip a gas attendant. Keep in mind that all (except at Costco) are low paid, if you are inclined to tip for superior service I am sure they could use the $.

Many use a Garmin to guide through unfamiliar streets but the following hint may help you navigate ours: The city is laid out East and West of the Willamette River, North and South of Burnside. There is an exception, North Portland which is West of Vancouver Avenue on the East side. Numbered streets run north and south from the Willamette River. Except in NW Portland street names are random, in NW they are in alphabetical order (except on the hill). Address numbers on east-west streets are from Burnside.

Good luck with your interviews.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:05 PM

9,859 posts, read 11,119,797 times
I hope the o.p. will forgive the hijacking but... I've been curious... why are the MAX and Streetcar separate systems? Looking at the hardware it would seem that a MAX train placed onto streetcar rails would run just fine, or vice versa. The tracks are the same gauge, the overhead catenary power grid appears compatible... the two "systems" even cross each other in places. Why the distinction?

H

Old 03-16-2013, 06:09 PM

192 posts, read 423,605 times
Be very, very, observant for pedestrians when driving downtown. it is shocking how many people step or run right out in front of cars even in the middle of the street. Also, the yellow signals are very short (compared to what I was used to where I lived before.)

If a gas attendant washes my windows, I give them a buck or two. Usually only happens at the station I go to most; they started doing it on their own, not at my request. I suppose they value the repeat business.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,502,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I hope the o.p. will forgive the hijacking but... I've been curious... why are the MAX and Streetcar separate systems? Looking at the hardware it would seem that a MAX train placed onto streetcar rails would run just fine, or vice versa. The tracks are the same gauge, the overhead catenary power grid appears compatible... the two "systems" even cross each other in places. Why the distinction?

H

I'll take a guess. The City of Portland owns the street cars and Tri Met owns MAX. Tri Met maintains the street car lines though. Go figure.

I don't know if this is the reason but it's the only one I can think of as to why they are different.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the answers.

Quote:
I hope the o.p. will forgive the hijacking but...
You are forgiven.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM

10,937 posts, read 19,121,544 times
With rare exceptions driving is not a completive sport in Portland. There is deference to pedestrians, a pedestrian struck/killed is a big deal. The other issue is bikes. We have bike lanes that take some getting used to: basically if there is a lane with a bike symbol stay out of it, and cross them at turns with care. Some of your cyclists do not take heed or comply with traffic controls. Mutter about their behavior as appropriate but try your best to avoid them because serious injury usually results if they are hit by a car.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
TD*

1,673 posts, read 3,741,788 times
Avoid driving... Ride the Max/StreetCar/Busses/WES

SO much better for the environment, and... you wont have to deal with traffic.

Trimet=sex

Old 03-17-2013, 04:33 PM

For part of this trip I need to travel between suburbs which is why I need the car. For the other part of the trip, I will be in downtown, at which point I will leave the car in a garage and use public transport. I lived in Chicago for while and became fond of "the El" system. I'm sure I'd like this system as well.

We'll see how things go, even if I get an offer for either of the companies I'm interviewing with, it's not for sure I'm going to take the job. There's a lot of other personal factors that at play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>