Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:45 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,661,231 times

Advertisements

So, my wife and I are still on a plan to move to Portland (or maybe Vancouver WA) in the spring of '09. But we've been looking at the actual cost of moving out there from metro DC, and it looks like the expense will be enormous!

I'm sure there are others here who made a long move to get out to the PNW. Can you offer any advice on how you saved money, assuming you didn't get relocation costs paid for, or anything like that? What would you recommend -- PODs, a U-Haul, a moving company, selling everything and moving out there with the clothes on our backs? Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 09:59 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,557 times
How nice are your possessions? If they're really worth keeping and the price of PODS, go for PODS!! Driving a truck will take you double the time you think it will (speaking from experience), plus it ends up being a fortune between gas and hotels. I'd drive a car cross country but NEVER a truck full of furniture!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 02:10 PM

152 posts, read 878,100 times
Load your stuff yourself into a pod or ABF type truck, and let them drive it for you. You don't want to drive a huge moving truck yourself all the way across the country. Moving is stressful enough as it is. That way you can relax on your way over, and take some time to see the rest of the U.S.

By the way, if you already have a job lined up over here, you can deduct your expenses if you file a schedule A.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
My son moved all his possessions from Boston to San Francisco in those U-haul large vans with lots of other people's things mixed in with his. ( is that PODS?) He paid about $1,200. But, he did not really have anything that was worth paying too much money to move. And, he moved his electric equipment (computers , tvs and all ) in his car by himself. For me, and I do not have that much stuff because I want to buy a lot of new furniture , I was quoted $6-7,000 by a major transport line.

I am not sure how I will move my car. I really do not relish the thought of driving it out all by myself from NY to Portland.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:27 PM

PODs is a company that delivers you a metal storage unit, you pack it at your leisure (another bonus) and then they come pick it up and transport it for you. The nice part is that you LOCK it so you don't have to worry about things getting lost or mingled with other people's stuff like moving companies do.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:01 PM

That must be what he did, then. I have too many things for me to do that. I'll need a regular moving van. I wonder if any transport teeny little cars?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That must be what he did, then. I have too many things for me to do that. I'll need a regular moving van. I wonder if any transport teeny little cars?
The prices quoted to you seem high even for a 3,000 mile move. Check with smaller companies and confirm with the Better Business Bureau as to their reputation.

I was going to have my handyman drive my car out, pay for his room and board, and then pay for his trip back. But do you have a friend who would like to accompany you and then fly back on his/her own?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:35 PM

I will try smaller companies, thanks.

Gee, I wonder if my handyman who has become a good friend would want to do that. He himself is moving to New Mexico in a few years. I can't think of anyone else who would want to do that, though. It is a lot to ask of someone. Maybe my son, though.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,652 times
Quote:
I will try smaller companies, thanks.

Gee, I wonder if my handyman who has become a good friend would want to do that. He himself is moving to New Mexico in a few years. I can't think of anyone else who would want to do that, though. It is a lot to ask of someone. Maybe my son, though.

I hope your son would. Mine offered and was extremely enthusiastic about a cross-country trip with his mom. And you might be surprised. Some friends would actually think it was a great way to see the country. I know because I met a woman recently from the islands off the state of WA who was traveling/moving to Chicago with a friend from DC who was glad to accompany her.

Last edited by Lillietta; 10-27-2007 at 09:40 PM..

Old 10-27-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know--they're big enough to move a whole household--they're not small by any means...maybe he used a different company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland