Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,299 times

Advertisements

I am also moving to Portland very soon. A friend is already moving there next month. After reading all about Portland , I want to relocate from the Southeast! MY brother decided he wants to move there as well! As soon as he sells his house , we're outta here! IT is good to see what everyone here has to say about the different neighborhoods! THanks! I found some really good sites Susan's Online Guide to Portland Oregon - The City of Roses and Portland, Oregon Pictures, Stock Photos, Buy Prints, Scenic Photography hope these help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 01:58 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,267,763 times
If you're moving up from the southeast get ready for rain and a lot of it. Windy and cold...they don't wear Pendeltons for nothing out there...The weather is different now...and I don't care for the earthquake tremors either...have friends and relatives in Portland and still visit one or two times a year for the steelhead runs...but I'm glad we moved to West Virginia.
Good luck.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:18 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,192,176 times
steelhead runs????

Old 10-28-2007, 02:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,226,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
steelhead runs????
That would be fish.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Thanks. I would have guessed racecars or something.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:18 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,479,084 times
Quote:
steelhead runs????
Nancy.

Steelhead are large Salmon like fish. They make for fun fishing and good eating. The Columbia River is full of them, but you have to have the tags. I've fished for them up by the McNary Dam on the Columbia - Eastern Oregon.

Like I've told you on the Long Island forum don't go to Portland. Its like a wannabe version of NYC - without the class. Its not much cheaper than Long Island. Go check out the rest of the state before you settle on Portland.

I strongly recommend the Oregon Coast. Nothing like it on LI. They have coast, we have beaches. Each has its own beauty. Florence is a great town. Also, check out around Eugene, everything from the coast to I-5 is great.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:02 PM

What on earth are YOU doing here, nbres ?????
A little far from good old North Babylon, n'est pas?

Old 10-28-2007, 06:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,479,084 times
Default I Know Oregon Pretty Well.

Quote:
What on earth are YOU doing here, nbres ?????
A little far from good old North Babylon, n'est pas?
All I'll say is that I know the state pretty well, having once lived there.

I still think about going back.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a Long Islander perspective about Portland.

Also, be aware that they are tax happy out there, better make sure your NY Teacher Pension is tax free there in Oregon.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,267,763 times
Portland has its own class...rich and western, and very cosmopolitain...in the 60's and 70's it was my favorite city in the USA...now, its imported all of the bleakness California can push through its border...street beggars on almost every corner needing their fix of crack. It's lost its conservative nature and uniquiness...please visit and take a thorough look before you move to this great city...drive through north Portland and the South-east part and take a good look...the decay is at its worst in these regions. Clackamas and Lake Oswego are the prime areas...the natives there act as if the other areas are remote and do not exist...
If you really are looking at Oregon...give the coast a great long look...identical to the Big Sur of California, and fabulous...Inland around Mt. Hood is good too...remote and not like NYC at all but tremendous....good luck.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM

14 posts, read 49,385 times
During the 60's and 70's the area that is now NW Portland (beautiful homes, restaurants, shopping) was called Welfare Flats. My neighborhood, Alameda/Irvington(where I lived) was full of rundown ghetto houses. Now it is one of the most elegant neighborhoods in the city, with large old houses and tree lined streets. In fact the old ghetto hoods up north around Alberta are now called "The Alberta Arts District" and also the industrial area over on the bluff overlooking the river is full of lofts and gallaries. Downtown is now one of the nicest in the US, with beautiful transit throughout the city, even out to the western burbs and the airport. So, I think David is more upset because LIBERALS have taken over the area and insisted on stopping sprawl by having a urban growth boundary. Also how many cities do you know that would tear down a freeway on the waterfront and put in a park? The coast is indeed beautiful, but if you don't like cities than you shouldn't comment on Portland. I have lived in Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, and Zurich Switzerland and the only one that I think is nicer is Zurich. And please don't blame California for the crackheads they were there before, they are mostly unemployed timber people still waiting around for the industry to recover. Portland was and is still full of people that enjoy herion, I know because I owned an apartment house and couldn't believe what I would find when people would move out. Californians pour money into Portland and have helped fix-up previously decaying areas. I now live in California and at one time people were flocking here for employment because the NW was economically a basket case. And lets not forget the Pearl District, it used to be rundown and industrial and now is full of commerce, lofts, art galleries etc. Portland deserves a pat on the back for taking the steps to insure a future for the downtown area.

Last edited by Waterlily; 10-29-2007 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: no personal attacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland