Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
OP, check the general moving forum. You'll get better advice and ideas on moves as many of us who moved cross country several times frequent that forum and can provide you with ideas and things you need to do to pull off this move.

Because unless you have a specific skillset or find a rare job that will let you transfer, you won't be able to get a job out of state. Hiring managers aren't going to take a chance on someone in another state when there are almost always a plethora of local candidates to choose from and they don't have to worry about this people not showing up or returning home due to homesickness 6 months later (which is a common problem).

So if you take the advice of not moving until you have a job, you'll probably never move. In fact, there would be very few transplants in most cities. I have made several interstate moves along with others I know with no job lined up. And in this crappy economy too. None of them with a job lined up. Save up enough money to live on for 6 months or longer and then go. Don't try to rent an apartment without a job. It would be better to rent a room or sublet until you find a job locally. It's cheaper and you're not cutting into your savings with deposits, etc.
Now THAT'S good advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,174 times
Normally in the past, I would agree with the advice to get a job first, but I've met one person who came here seeking work in one field, but was determined to get work in whatever field they could. They were very successful and found a way to support themselves within a few days.

Why? They were willing to take ANYTHING (starbucks, child care, etc.) even if it wasn't in their field. They sent out (emailed) their resumes to many prospective employers, followed up by phone, set 20 appointments for interviews, tirelessly went after it... and out of those 20, landed 3 jobs whose hours dovetailed.

They also rented a room to help save money, and are now busy building a life here.

Not everyone is willing to do that extreme job search to get started. I know people who have been "looking" for years with nothing to show for it, but if you have the desire to do the old fashioned pound the pavement, bring your resume, fill out endless applications or just keep calling people, you WILL find a means to support yourself. Just be open-minded and don't give up.

It also helps if you can read, write, follow directions, etc. if you are going to be an employee. The answer to the question "would you work for you?" might also help give you an edge over others.

One other option is to consider starting your own online business.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
No, you should not move to Portland, you should move to Chicago.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,451,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
OP, check the general moving forum. You'll get better advice and ideas on moves as many of us who moved cross country several times frequent that forum and can provide you with ideas and things you need to do to pull off this move.

Because unless you have a specific skillset or find a rare job that will let you transfer, you won't be able to get a job out of state. Hiring managers aren't going to take a chance on someone in another state when there are almost always a plethora of local candidates to choose from and they don't have to worry about this people not showing up or returning home due to homesickness 6 months later (which is a common problem).

So if you take the advice of not moving until you have a job, you'll probably never move. In fact, there would be very few transplants in most cities. I have made several interstate moves along with others I know with no job lined up. And in this crappy economy too. None of them with a job lined up. Save up enough money to live on for 6 months or longer and then go. Don't try to rent an apartment without a job. It would be better to rent a room or sublet until you find a job locally. It's cheaper and you're not cutting into your savings with deposits, etc.

The "Old School" way to do it!!!!
That way, it's on your merit and luck alone.....

Best advice I have seen given if you are single with absolutely no strings attached!!

Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
No, you should not move to Portland, you should move to Chicago.
I wouldn't suggest this to my worst enemy, Chicago is the worst.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I wouldn't suggest this to my worst enemy, Chicago is the worst.
Maybe. Chicago does have the ORIGINAL Powell's Books, though.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Maybe. Chicago does have the ORIGINAL Powell's Books, though.
And Uno's. Don't forget that Deep Dish Pizza.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
I am orginally from Chicago. I think it's a great city but everyone is entitled their own opinion of course.

Just a thought. I see people here giving advice who do not live here. Whatever city to which you are pondering a move, it's always best to take the advice of the people who actually live there. Often generalites may apply to most places but not the one you are asking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland