Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 5,863 times

Advertisements

Heya. So I will be moving with 2 others to Portland within the next month or so. My friends brother needs to move out there to go to University of Portland... (Not Portland University :P) So we're being dragged along so he doesn't have to pay the $14,000 in dorm fees!

The problem is I don't have a job! My friend has saved up a few g's and just invited me pretty much but we don't have an idea as to where we are going to be abe to find an affordable apt. I'm hoping anyone knows how I can find a cheap 1 or 2 bd that will lease on a month to month basis for maybe $700 max since we'd be looking for a permanent apt. ( and work! eek!) Or even a decent apt/house/duplex 2-3 bed for no more then $950/month.. A area easy to get to downtown AND the UoP is what were hoping for.

Maybe you know how I can go about getting a job lined up there too? Retail and warehouse experience.. Assistant Manager experience as well but it was for a smallllll company. Looks good on the resume though :P

Thanks!

(OH! P.s.! Me and her brother are most likely gonna be "living" out there first and she's gonna being staying out here in Vegas working til August when she'll get laid off. She will be footing the expenses for housing until we find a job and such. She's making good bank over here and wants to stay... So that's how we'll be paying until I find a job before someone asks.. I'll pay her back don't yell at me i feel like ****s for it! thanks!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 AM

192 posts, read 454,491 times
So let me see if I have this straight:

1. You have no job, no savings, and no existing prospect for a job in Portland.
2. You expect a landlord to rent to you under these conditions (your friend will not be here, and therefore cannot be on the lease.)
3. Your friend is going to stay behind. Your entire "plan" depends upon her actually sending you money and not, say, changing her mind and leaving you stranded in a strange city. Is the friend supporting her brother as well?

This is a disaster in the making. The brother is old enough to go to college; he is old enough to find a roommate here who already has the means to actually contribute to the arrangement.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
The OP's future ?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 AM

Nope wrong I guess.. The brother is 17 and needs a legal guardian to even go to the school (isn't allowed to find a room mate either dorm or relative) so she has to go and she is going with there to get the apartment and get a lease. THe apartment will be under her name not mine. She will be supporting him es as that was the plan before she asked me to come with. She has no plans on staying here and is fully commited to going there for her brother (w/o he he'd have to get a loan for 15000 which neither of them want to do) Landlord situation is why I am looking for month to month. She has a few g so that isnt a proble, and can put a cpl months if necessary. Lastly if she miraculously does change her mind... I didn't miss out on anything as this lease is up her in town nxt month either way and I can come back to Vegas no problem.

Sounds crazy I know but it will work out even if we have to stay in a car or hotel for a bit. Fine by us. Just looking if anyone knew of a housing option.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 AM

LOl hey they make good money! just seen it on 20/20! ;P

Might need to fake an injury :O eh, who knows maybe they'll give me more for the humor? ha!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itBeMallory View Post
The brother is 17 and needs a legal guardian to even go to the school (isn't allowed to find a room mate either dorm or relative) so she has to go and she is going with there to get the apartment and get a lease.
I don't understand this. I went off to college at 17 and didn't have to have a legal guardian. I moved halfway across the country and moved into a dorm. Colleges deal with 17 year olds all the time, there is no way that they would or could require that a legal guardian live with them.

Now, if he's going to stripper school, that might be different.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 PM

ha stripper school.. No stripper school but i guess since he is from out of state he is required to stay at the dorm. The only way he would NOT have to stay at the dorm, he would have to get it petitioned or "okay'd" stating that he has a relative he is living with withing 30 miles of the school...

I guess technically it doesn't have to be a LEGAL guardian, just a relative, but his parents are giving her guardianship since he'll be out there for a while before he turns 18.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
On the original questions - look for apartments in North Portland. That's where UP is, and neighborhoods like St. Johns and Kenton aren't gentrified yet. Also read the other threads here about the difficulty of getting an apartment without verifiable local income. Some landlords simply will not talk to you, no matter how much money you have in hand.

For a job, sign up with a temp agency or three. Another poster here has put together an incredibly useful list of local agencies: Portland Temp Agencies ListHamell.net

Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Ahh thanks much! Yea we been looking at st johns .. Haven't looked at Kenton. Will check it out..

Yea I'm sure it is hard I'll go browse the forums! Thanks much for the Temp list! I'm gonna go see this week if my agency I'm with is also in Portland! If not I now got a list to go too! That is really an awesome list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland