Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM

16 posts, read 30,214 times

Advertisements

Sorry, looking closer I see that my link is actually a bit short on maps. Try this: Portland Trolley System Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChehalemValley View Post
Sorry, looking closer I see that my link is actually a bit short on maps. Try this: Portland Trolley System Maps
I would love to see an inner city streetcar system that was something like that again in Portland. A number of those lines would be worth bringing back.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think it is one piece in a foot based transportation system.

Likely I am the only one on the forum who actually used the old Portland Streetcar system. I loved it, busses will never replace what it accomplished.
I didn't but I have two friends who were born in Portland who have said the very same thing.

I remember the bus system replacing the streetcars in Chicago but they did a very good job. And there were electric buses as well as gas run ones for a very long time. It's all in the planning really.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:14 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would love to see an inner city streetcar system that was something like that again in Portland. A number of those lines would be worth bringing back.
I'd like to see that, AND the daily trains out to areas like Seaside, Astoria, Newport, Estacada, Bull Run, etc. Or even the train that ran from Portland to Beaverton, places like Garden Home and Raleigh Hills started as Station Stops on that original line.

Read Interurbans for a glimpse of what we've lost.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,775 times
I look forward to reading the Interurbans link, thanks for posting it.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:41 AM

32,107 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
It's the LightRail that is touted as a model of success, not the streetcar.
But in other cities, the Portland streetcar is being touted as a model of success. Or, at the very least, they are arguing that light rail and streetcar projects are equivalents. So when people make the economic stimulus argument as it pertains to streetcars, you often hear "Look at Portland!" This argument is obviously not taking into account the fact that light rail with its own dedicated ROW is completely different from a streetcar that operates in traffic.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Urbanlife78 is correct.

Portland Trolley Chronology I would take the 23rd Ave. Line.
He's correct except for the part about "new car companies shutting the streetcar lines down." There used to be a streetcar/trolley that ran through my neighborhood that got shut down in the early 90s. That obviously had nothing to do with the auto and oil industries.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 AM

BajanYankee, for a really great perspective on this subject, read "The Geography of Nowhere" by James Kunstler. It doesn't deal with Portland per se but does talk about the West, which is a much different animal than the Northeast. Portland, Seattle, LA, even San Francisco - nothing like NYC, Boston, DC...

Old 04-28-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
BajanYankee, for a really great perspective on this subject, read "The Geography of Nowhere" by James Kunstler. It doesn't deal with Portland per se but does talk about the West, which is a much different animal than the Northeast. Portland, Seattle, LA, even San Francisco - nothing like NYC, Boston, DC...
But I'm not even sure if streetcars are very practical in the Northeast.

The strongest argument for streetcars over buses is the economic stimulus argument. The first example that's always used is Portland. But there's never any evidence offered to back the claims. It's simply "Portland built a streetcar and development took off." I'm not from Portland, so I can't really say whether that's true or not. I do know that a commission in the region did a study and concluded that they could not say for sure that the streetcar promoted development. So at best we have a study that shows the effects of streetcars on economic development are inconclusive. If we can't establish a causal link between the streetcar and economic development, then does it really make any sense for any jurisdiction to toss $90-100 million into a streetcar line?

So now we're left with the mobility argument. I can see the merit in the "streetcars hold more people" argument. It's undoubtedly important to be able to get onto transit in the first place, but it's also important that headways be as short as possible, which costs more money to accomplish using streetcars. While the capacity argument may hold some weight as it relates to very high demand routes that literally have riders bursting out of the doors on their existing bus systems, it doesn't hold much weight, imo, for cities like Atlanta where that will hardly be a problem.

The operating cost argument, imo, goes out of the window if you run streetcars at the same frequency as buses.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:16 AM

The book I'm referring to is about public transportation in general, not just streetcars - I am not arguing about streetcars one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland