Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 2,518 times

Advertisements

I wonder if Portland's climate. I hope you can help. Did you perpetually rainy Portland and the surrounding area? What is the climate of the mountain slopes or wooded areas would like to learn. Waiting for your help. My english is not good. If I wrote something wrong, so I'm sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Troll, whether or not the OP is a native English speaker.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
The weather is typically mild and overcast with light rain typically. Often times you cab be outside in the rain for a long period of time and barely get wet.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amida-dc View Post
I wonder if Portland's climate. I hope you can help. Did you perpetually rainy Portland and the surrounding area? What is the climate of the mountain slopes or wooded areas would like to learn. Waiting for your help. My english is not good. If I wrote something wrong, so I'm sorry.
This book will help: The Climate of Oregon: From Rain Forest to Desert

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,518 times
Thank you for your help No, English is not my mother tongue

Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,686 times
I have a question on this as well - I look at the forecast for Portland right now, and it's warm and sunny every day. Is that abnormal? I know there are many days of rain, but from what I've read those occur mainly around winter time, and the summers are pretty dry and warm. (Correct me if I am wrong!)

Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
I have a question on this as well - I look at the forecast for Portland right now, and it's warm and sunny every day. Is that abnormal? I know there are many days of rain, but from what I've read those occur mainly around winter time, and the summers are pretty dry and warm. (Correct me if I am wrong!)
Not necessarily. Spring is a mixed bag. Can't say for sure as I haven't lived here for a spring yet, but that appears to be the case.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
Spring can vary. We've had a really dry spring this year, but most years it can be a mix of clouds and rain and sunshine--with usually fairly mild temps topping out in the 60s. This year though we're getting an early taste of summer--a lot of years though you get a stretch of nice weather in the spring--everyone thinks it's summer and suddenly it goes back to cloudier weather.

The weather isn't that predicatable here though... We'll often get a week of mild weather and sun in late January and February and while the summer is usually sunny and dry sometimes it seems late to start. If anything, you just learn to go with the flow living here. The two times of the year that seem the most consistent is that it'll be sunny and dry through most of July and August into September and it'll most likely be cold and rainy through December into February or early spring--but even then we'll get a mix of weather conditions.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Unpredictable is a good way to describe it. For the coming months, this week will be sunny and warm. Next week may be rainy and while not really cold, it can be cooler. Usually June gets some rainy, cooler weather then beginning in July it can start to warm up. But these are just wide generalizations. Like I said, unpredictable.

I think it keeps things from being boring.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Spring can vary. We've had a really dry spring this year, but most years it can be a mix of clouds and rain and sunshine--with usually fairly mild temps topping out in the 60s. This year though we're getting an early taste of summer--a lot of years though you get a stretch of nice weather in the spring--everyone thinks it's summer and suddenly it goes back to cloudier weather.

The weather isn't that predictable here though... We'll often get a week of mild weather and sun in late January and February and while the summer is usually sunny and dry sometimes it seems late to start. If anything, you just learn to go with the flow living here. The two times of the year that seem the most consistent is that it'll be sunny and dry through most of July and August into September and it'll most likely be cold and rainy through December into February or early spring--but even then we'll get a mix of weather conditions.
First I should say I'm new to the PNW also. What you describe here seems to be a normal seasonal weather pattern for many areas of the country. So even if you throw November and March into the winter type weather, you have FIVE months of often rainy and cloudy days not the NINE months stated on NUMEROUS threads throughout our Oregon CD forums. I do realize this year has been described as not typical, but that is the nature of weather everywhere. So I believe I'm prepared to state Portland has perfect weather if you like four distinct seasons with a multitude of weekly/daily possibilities throughout each season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland