Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times

Advertisements

This is Westport

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM

This was taken from the highway between Westport and Long Beach

Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
I'm glad you had a great time on your trip Hopes! As far as the Olympic peninsula loop being a boring drive....I guess it's a matter of taste. I personally loved it when I went and found the drive to be beautiful. Your just surrounded by gorgeous green forest most of the time, but that's what I loved about it I really enjoyed the HOH rainforest and thought Cape Flattery was wonderful. I have also been on the east side and enjoyed time in Port Townsend. But honestly my husband and I found it beautiful and serene simply driving all around it. So I guess it just depends on what a person considers scenic vs. boring.
It does depend on perspective. We live in a very lush green area with fantastic trees and lots of interesting steep topography. The western side of the loop is flat and mostly the same types of trees. In Pennsylvania, our forests are very diverse, not the same thing over and over. Looking out my windows is more interesting because it's green and hilly to the north, east and west, and it's a huge valley to the south. And I have these views living within 10 miles from a major city. When doing a road trip coming from southern Oregon, you've already seen gorgeous green forest for days with better scenery. The west side of the loop is just flat with trees on both sides close to the road with very limited views of anything else. It's like flat tunnel vision driving. So it's not spectacular compared to what was seen earlier on the trip or elsewhere in Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
When you get a chance can you tell us your trip highlights? What did you think about Portland? What was your favorite part/place/thing in each state?
Definitely! I finally have all of my pictures downloaded on the computer. I started sorting through them last night. I'm deleting fuzzy ones and turning sideways ones the right direction. There's over 1000 pictures. Our camera battery died at some of the most important times---like the ferry ride from the peninsula. A few times it locked up and we lost all of the data via having to pull out the battery to get it to start working again----most notably we lost all of the pictures of the Portland area and the falls to the west of Portland. Anyways, when I get done sorting them and upload a few to the internet, I'll post my highlights for each state.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Our camera battery died at some of the most important times---like the ferry ride from the peninsula.
This is why I take two cameras and a smartphone with me with a car charger so my batteries don't die. I also take a laptop and copy all photos every day, so I don't lose any data accidentally I took more than 2000 photos in Hawaii last year within just a week. I can't imagine how many photos I will take the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by Botev1912; 06-14-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
This is why I take two cameras and a smartphone with me with a car charger so my batteries don't die. I also take a laptop and copy all photos every day, so I don't lose any data accidentally I took more than 2000 photos in Hawaii last year within just a week. I can't imagine how many photos I will take the next 2 weeks.
I'll know next time. All in all, there are about 1400 pictures. I was downloading them on my computer everyday. I would have lost more than the Portland pictures if I hadn't. I started slacking the last few days and had about 400 to download when I got home. I'm still trying to catch up on laundry!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
This is Shangri-La...

Old 06-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Hopes, what did you like about Pacific Grove and Carmel? I am trying to decide what small cities to see in California. I am interested in cities that have some nice buildings and walking areas (city center).

Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Hopes, what did you like about Pacific Grove and Carmel? I am trying to decide what small cities to see in California. I am interested in cities that have some nice buildings and walking areas (city center).
Pacific Grove is gorgeous. There is a park along the coast that is all flowers. It's breathtaking. Carmel is adorable. It is like stepping into a storybook. The buildings are Hansel Gretel style. Very walkable. Great business district. Carmel is a must see if you're interested in interesting towns. There's no other town like it in the United States. I wasn't impressed with Monterey but we had to drive through it to get to Pacific Grove since we were coming from the North.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:50 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Carmel has a very nice city center walking area, down to the beach.

We have liked taking a meal at Clint Eastwood's Mission Ranch Mission Ranch in Carmel California

& at his Hog's Breath... Hog's Breath Inn Restaurant & Bar, located in Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, Hogs Breath Inn, Clint Eastwood Property

Very Nice. We always enjoyed ourselves...

Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM

320 posts, read 417,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'll know next time. All in all, there are about 1400 pictures. I was downloading them on my computer everyday. I would have lost more than the Portland pictures if I hadn't. I started slacking the last few days and had about 400 to download when I got home. I'm still trying to catch up on laundry!
Hopes! Where are these wonderful pics? I can't wait to see them and read about your entire trip!! Please, pretty please can we have a trip recap with some pics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland