Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times

Advertisements

There is an opening in our office in Salem; I'm mulling over applying. Its a lateral, but with the supply of affordable (if there ever were any) houses in decent neighborhoods drying up down here, from what I see online it sure looks like they're a bunch of houses in Salem.

However, as a divorced 50something male, who is an intellectual, musician, likes to run, I worry that there will be a zero dating scene in Salem. I'm not really enamored with a long driving commute; I don't see where it would make sense to live in the exurbs of Portland and commute to Salem everyday, but I don't want to commit living somewhere that is going to be totally socially and culturally dead. I've been told Portland "isn't that far" from Salem and "How Far Is It" has the distance between the two cities as 46 miles, which is driveable for a social life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
I'm not understanding... you live somewhere now don't you? Ok maybe you don't own... but... do you really want to after all that's happened to homeowners in the last couple years?? I wound up single in Salem and I can't say it was a dating hotspot... I did, however find women to date. There aren't many places where there aren't any women (or men) to date and the places where there are gobs of them have gobs of them for a reason. I don't think commuting from the ex-urbs of Portland to Salem is doable. As a 60 something your dating prospects are about equal in either city... well that's not quite true but true enough. Take the job in Salem, live in Salem and call it good OR stay put, and call it good. Unless your office has a branch in Portland... ...

H

Old 05-09-2013, 04:17 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
If you have a job you will find no shortage of females (and even a few males) of all ages who are interested in you. The old Hunk who looks good but never works, is getting out of fashion.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:02 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
And I am wearing a blue shirt today.

So what exactly is the question?

(Or is it just a rambling thought?)

Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
If you have a job you will find no shortage of females (and even a few males) of all ages who are interested in you. The old Hunk who looks good but never works, is getting out of fashion.
Oh, I'd have a job alright. I'm just thinking that the music scene and dating scene isn't going to be much because Salem is small and has a reputation of being very conservative.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I haven't observed Salem resident's political leanings but my gut is that it is middle of the road. Lots of State employees, I doubt that as a group they lean conservative.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I haven't observed Salem resident's political leanings but my gut is that it is middle of the road. Lots of State employees, I doubt that as a group they lean conservative.
As long as Bible thumpers aren't pounding on my door I really don't care if they're conservative or not.

As a jazz musician, though, I'm thinking they're not going to be many gigs or jam sessions available in Salem LOL... so I'm somewhat curious as to what would be available in Portland and that's one reason for the drive time inquiry; the other as noted, is dating - I highly doubt a place as small as Salem is going to have a decent supply of single women over 40 to date that like music, are physically active (I run half marathons) and that have college degrees.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Seems like there are quite a few professional Jazz performers in Salem: Events > jazz > Salem, OR > Statesman Journal

Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Seems like there are quite a few professional Jazz performers in Salem: Events > jazz > Salem, OR > Statesman Journal
Thanks for the link!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 AM

83 posts, read 181,504 times
As a relative newcomer to Salem, I think it is underrated by a lot of Oregonian's. It's certainly not as conservative as where we came from in northern Cali, the climate is great for getting out, and I think its big enough to find a lot of people with a wide variety of interests. I would at least give it a visit and do some research into the local scene before I would would commit to driving down from Portland every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: