Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:54 PM

7 posts, read 154,051 times

Advertisements

The end of October we moved in an apartment only to find out one month later that there are roaches here.
After two months of complaints and some inspection it was discovered that cockroaches rampt in the apartment above us and we are getting their overflow.

I am getting pretty upset about this and the slow process of getting the complex to be proactive. They had a famously named company come in who are so darn lame it makes me feel we will have to break our lease and get the heck out of here.

Can I break our lease?

Carol3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Read your rental contract.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:49 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,051 times
I would start by writing a nice professional letter that states that you are not happy and that they are violating their rental agreement using tough language but DO NOT SWEAR or get into beliefs, only state facts. Itemize the problems and use dates/times, use company names, individuals names etc. Professional looking letters written on a computer with legal words and fancy format that are well written says to the landlord "This person may actually have the ability to sue or may have a background in law or the family could have a lawyer or 3rd party is getting involved." You'd be surprised how many people are intimidated by a simple letter.

I would say your chances of breaking lease are slim. What you can do is express your intentions in writing and keep harping on it, have a paper trail. With occupancy high they can probably fill the spot and may decide you aren't worth the trouble. But beware it could come back to bite you, it could push and already annoyed landlord to take underhanded attacks against your rental history, deposits etc.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:35 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Probably not, but you do have the right to keep your apartment very clean, keep all food scraps and water put away, and to spend $12 on a tube of Combat Gel and follow the directions.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:41 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
I would start by not asking legal questions in a forum. None of the regulars are lawyers, although I dropped out of Native American Law. Seek advice from an advocate. Community Alliance of Tenants | Renters’ Rights Info or Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: Oregon - HUD .

Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
See if your community has adopted a housing code. If so, your local code enforcement officer can help resolve your cockroach problem.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:03 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,252 times
i can't help you with lease issues, but if you mix borax and flour and put it where you've seen them it will kill them. google it. some people make a paste out of it. our last home had a major infestation in a leaky irrigation box just outside our house so our powder ended up getting wet. they take it back to their nest and it kills them all in a week or two. after a few weeks we never saw another one again.

have you talked to your neighbors? what's the situation up there?

Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 AM

7 posts, read 154,051 times
Thank you for all the responses and sound advice. I was in a panic mode. This is my first experience with **** roaches.
We have been bug free now for over a week now. Good sign. Our maintenance man took charge and got in a company to rid these suckers from our home. He arranged all neighboring apts. to be inspected and treated! The infestation in one of our neighbors and we were getting the overflow. Every week all apts. were treated. The attack was successful. Our maintenance man was the key here. Our complex was without a steady manager but has recently landed a possible, if she too isn't offered an better position elsewhere.... I am much more hopeful and yes I've read about the borax and flour but I was asked by the "bug" man to allow his treatments to work first. I agreed and their persistence appears to be working.
Thank you to all who answered my lease breaking question.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
I am so glad it is working out for you. It's a funny thing. When I was living in an apartment in Chicago, my roommate and I suddenly had a cockroach problem when some new neighbors moved in upstairs of us. We did what we could to get rid of the bugs but they kept returning.

About a year later after the neighbors moved away so did the roaches. Problem solved. I guess the bugs liked their cuisine better than my roommate's and mine which was definetly fine with us.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol3 View Post
Thank you for all the responses and sound advice. I was in a panic mode. This is my first experience with **** roaches.
We have been bug free now for over a week now. Good sign. Our maintenance man took charge and got in a company to rid these suckers from our home. He arranged all neighboring apts. to be inspected and treated! The infestation in one of our neighbors and we were getting the overflow. Every week all apts. were treated. The attack was successful. Our maintenance man was the key here. Our complex was without a steady manager but has recently landed a possible, if she too isn't offered an better position elsewhere.... I am much more hopeful and yes I've read about the borax and flour but I was asked by the "bug" man to allow his treatments to work first. I agreed and their persistence appears to be working.
Thank you to all who answered my lease breaking question.
Important: Are they exterminating the other units, too? If not, you'll be dealing with the roaches again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: