Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 PM

156 posts, read 235,936 times

Advertisements

"If someone craves sun for the majority of the time, this might not be the place for them."

Conversely, if one suffers from migraines triggered by strong sunlight, it might just be the perfect spot.. (that would be my situation)....and on top of that I am beginning to suspect that I have reverse SAD (ie I feel bad in sunny weather) I guess "perfect" weather is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for horse paradise View Post
"If someone craves sun for the majority of the time, this might not be the place for them."

Conversely, if one suffers from migraines triggered by strong sunlight, it might just be the perfect spot.. (that would be my situation)....and on top of that I am beginning to suspect that I have reverse SADie I feel bad in sunny weather) I guess "perfect" weather is in the eye of the beholder.
Absoultely! I have a rare chronic illness and being in the strong sunlight for any length of time is absolute agony for me. That is why when people call sunshiny days great weather, I think," Not for everyone."

Give me a cloudy day anyday.

Quote:
Everyone has an accent if they're away from their home.
This is so funny but yesterday while waiting for a bus I happened to get into a conversation with a very nice young man who had recently moved to Portland with his mom and they were from Delaware. What are the odds?

Anyhoo, he was telling me he had just finished the third of his three job interviews and proceeded to ask me questions about Portland. While he didn't have any kind of heavy accent to speak of, I could definitely tell he was not from these parts from his speech.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:41 AM

8 posts, read 10,495 times
Default Rain in Portland

Yes, it does seem to rain a bit more than other places. BUT it's only for a short period of time during the day and the rest of the days are sunny, most of the time. From about October to June you can expect quite a few of these days. That what makes Oregon so beautiful though.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:13 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Short??? We had a long dry spell through part of the winter and the start of the spring, but now we have had a couple of weeks of on and off drizzle and another week of the same in the forcast.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 PM

775 posts, read 1,258,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabock71 View Post
Yes, it does seem to rain a bit more than other places. BUT it's only for a short period of time during the day and the rest of the days are sunny, most of the time. From about October to June you can expect quite a few of these days. That what makes Oregon so beautiful though.
The only place I think of where it rains for a short period of time then is sunny is Hawaii

Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,238 times
Florida too...

Old 05-27-2013, 02:29 PM

And Arizona. It pours and then goes away after flooding everything. In minutes.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:55 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Buy Cliff Mass's book on weather of the Pacific NW. His is as accurate as it gets.
Nell, Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered a used copy. Look forward to learning more about the weather in the state we are planning to call home.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I do what I do rain or shine, so weather does not play a part in my life.
Steve, obviously you aren't a sunbather... and regulars following the OR forum know you spend most of your time indoors answering questions on almost every thread...

seriously, glad to hear in another thread your garden is off to a good start this year.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM

I spend more time outdoors then one may think. I do take one of my six laptops outside with me, but mostly I am on the Desktop when I am operating my Radio Station. Something to do between conversations. I cowboy shoot in compitition, ride motorcycle year round rain or shine, garden, fish, and hunt. And I travel a lot. It's just that one, I have lived all over the country and know a lot about many places, and two, I made a very good living with computers, retired young, and enjoy my Computer time. As such I am connected most places I go. Not many 65 year olds have the computer background I have since I started in 1976 with "PC's" and it just seems like I am on all the time. I do have a laptop going in front of the TV too.

And I stay brown most of the year because I do ride all the time and I am outdoors alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland