Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 21,553 times

Advertisements

I've only visited both once, but I would say that I like Portland a little bit more. Seattle is really cool, but more business oriented than Portland. Portland seems to be a little more concerned with proper urban planning and environmentalism. Portland was a lot greener and not didn't seem as hectic as Seattle. Portland is like a big city with a small town feel, and Seattle was just a big city with big city feel. It depends on what you guys are looking for. Seattle has a bit better job market than Portland from what I've researched, but I think that may just because there are less people in Portland interested in making lots of $$$. I like Portland because the people were all friendly and I didn't feel like I was in a concrete jungle, yet you still have all of the advantages of the big city (diversity, good eats, shopping, museums, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 03:20 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrum View Post
I've only visited both once, but I would say that I like Portland a little bit more. Seattle is really cool, but more business oriented than Portland. Portland seems to be a little more concerned with proper urban planning and environmentalism. Portland was a lot greener and not didn't seem as hectic as Seattle. Portland is like a big city with a small town feel, and Seattle was just a big city with big city feel. It depends on what you guys are looking for. Seattle has a bit better job market than Portland from what I've researched, but I think that may just because there are less people in Portland interested in making lots of $$$. I like Portland because the people were all friendly and I didn't feel like I was in a concrete jungle, yet you still have all of the advantages of the big city (diversity, good eats, shopping, museums, etc.).
As someone who has lived in Seattle for about 8 years, and the Puget Sound area, I think you summed up the difference between the to cities about as well as I've ever read.

In general, I would say Seattle is a more career oriented city, and is becoming more of a typical big city in general. Portland on the other hand has a much smaller feel. I have a couple friends in Portland who have told me it feels more provincial (hick-ish) than Seattle, but that's really relative.

I have a friend who moved here from Portland because he wanted to live in a larger city. I guess it just depends what you're looking for - if you're more career oriented and crave a larger city, Seattle is probably a better option because there are more opportunities and a few more resources. That said, the Portland is still projected to have robust job growth in the future. And even though Portland is growing, since the urban planning is so much better than Seattle, it will still probably maintain a more unique, livable feel.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:38 PM

148 posts, read 238,915 times
Who says Seattle is warmer than Portland needs to put down the crack pipe. Seattle is on a large body of water that acts as a heat sink and sucks the heat out of the air. If you don't believe me, check out the graph comparing the two (you can select avg high or avg low):

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...ocid2=USWA0396

I was actually surprised to see that Portland gets more rain than Seattle.

I have been to Seattle many times and never seemed to really like it. I much prefer Portland. But, they do have way better sailing.

Old 12-15-2006, 04:49 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,548 times
It may cost a little more for housing around Seattle, but the total combined tax burden (all state and local taxes) of living there is only about 2/3 of what it costs to live in Portland. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:04 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,186 times
One thing I forgot to discuss is the geography/scenery of both areas. Aesthetically, Seattle beats Portland hands down. Seattle is surrounded by water (Puget Sound to the west, Lake WA to the east, and lake Union in the middle), and has mountains on both sides of the city (Olympics on the west, Cascades on the east). Portland's geography is OK, but plainer. There are mountains outside the city, but the are smaller and farther away, making them less majestic. Seattle also has steeper hills, which again is aesthetically appealing, but creates transportation problems (see below).

That said, Seattle's geography creates transportation problems. With all the water and hills, this limits where and what types of roads can be built. Getting around is generally very difficult during the day. Portland has some transportation issues, but at least the city planned ahead for growth (light rail, urban planning, etc).

Old 12-26-2006, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 23,995 times
Default Portland or Seattle-Which is more family friendly? to: Portland vs. Seattle

Would you consider Portland or Seattle to be a more family friendly city? This includes the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods that make up each city. Let's not compare which city has more parks than the other, but rather which is overall a more enriching, stimulating, unstressed environment for a child to grow up in? Any opinions?

Old 12-31-2006, 02:27 AM

11 posts, read 55,138 times
Default Portland vs. Seattle

Hello there. I am another one thinking of relocating to one of these two cities. If anyone out there lives in either Portland or Seattle, or if you've lived in both, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. What I care about: traffic and how to avoid it, if SAD really exists and what you can do about it, the theatre/performing arts scene, the art scene, dive bars, neighborhood descriptions, and places I can take my dog. What I don't care about: the weather (since it sounds about the same), sports teams, outdoor sports, and who pumps the gas. Thank you to anyone that can help.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:04 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
A friend of mine lived in Seattle, now in South Shore. I have been up there many times, and its very nice. You have to get used to the scene though, cause its different than anywhere else I have ever been.. its sorta like a huge high school with its many clicks.. and people living ontop of people. But is is also very cool there, great transportation system, always something to do. I loved it up there.

My Friend when he first got there changed jobs like underware, weekly lol. So there is planty to do. He put himself though school while he was there and is now at a High tech job making the big bucks. So Seattle has plenty of opertunities.

Portland, dont know much about it.. I hear its a lot like Seattle, but more tame and laid back. And a whole lot cleaner.

I am leaning towards Portland as of right now.. but we shall see.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:23 PM

180 posts, read 583,179 times
Lived in both and Portland is way better. In my opinion, traffic, community, friendlier, and easier to manage.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:57 PM

139 posts, read 1,216,973 times
Portland is my favorite city next to Seattle. As a matter of fact, Portland reminds me of Seattle before Seattle was discovered by the rest of the country. Easy going Portlanders don't take themselves to seriously, smart when it comes to civic issues, and progressive in all aspects of life. In terms of natural beauty, it runs a close second to Seattle in terms of big cities. For those out of towners visiting visit during the rose festival. Its a tamer version of Seafair in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland