Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 12:09 PM

122 posts, read 202,700 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting the Portland area in September and we would like some suggestions on things to do/places to eat/beer to drink.

We are looking for a bbq joint. One of the thousands of "Best BBQ in America" articles listed a restaurant in Portland but neither of us can remember the name. What's your suggestion? We know that Portland, or the NW in general, isn't known for it's bbq so we know we won't be getting Salt Lick or Franklin's. But we like to try new places.

We are active and have hiked through Forest Park and backpacked through Eagle Creek and we would like to do more of that. We also run 5k's or 10k's so if you have a favorite run, let us know about it.

We really like to visit local breweries on our travels. We've been to Hair of the Dog and Amnesia and we enjoyed both. What is your favorite brewery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdogg View Post

We are looking for a bbq joint. One of the thousands of "Best BBQ in America" articles listed a restaurant in Portland but neither of us can remember the name. What's your suggestion? We know that Portland, or the NW in general, isn't known for it's bbq so we know we won't be getting Salt Lick or Franklin's. But we like to try new places.
Likely Podnah's Pit (food cart) or Russell Street were in the article. Personally, I'm a fan of Buster's because their meat is moist and I firmly believe that good BBQ starts with good quality meat. You can put good sauce on poor quality meat, but it's still poor quality meat.

Clay's is good too, but according to Yelp the top five are:

Leroy's Familiar Vittles
Road Runner BBQ
Homegrown Smoker
Bottles
Daddy's D's (in Vancouver)

Two of those are food carts, and the top ten list has a least two more food carts.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:13 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
Podnah's Pit is now a restaurant and is likely the place listed.

For runs, if you've already done Forest Park (and there's a lot of it), you can try Mt. Tabor. There are a lot of trails once you get in there and get lost.

For brewpubs, try Cascade Brewing or Gigantic Brewing. Really, there's at least two for whatever kind of beer you like - porters or IPAs or whatever.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Likely Podnah's Pit (food cart) or Russell Street were in the article. Personally, I'm a fan of Buster's because their meat is moist and I firmly believe that good BBQ starts with good quality meat. You can put good sauce on poor quality meat, but it's still poor quality meat.

Clay's is good too, but according to Yelp the top five are:

Leroy's Familiar Vittles
Road Runner BBQ
Homegrown Smoker
Bottles
Daddy's D's (in Vancouver)

Two of those are food carts, and the top ten list has a least two more food carts.
I agree that you need to start with good quality meat. Thanks for the suggestions. I might just try them all!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Podnah's Pit is now a restaurant and is likely the place listed.

For runs, if you've already done Forest Park (and there's a lot of it), you can try Mt. Tabor. There are a lot of trails once you get in there and get lost.

For brewpubs, try Cascade Brewing or Gigantic Brewing. Really, there's at least two for whatever kind of beer you like - porters or IPAs or whatever.
I've been looking at Mt. Tabor but it didn't look that big. I will definitely check it out.

I've heard of Gigantic Brewing but not Cascade. I'm looking for IPA's but will consider branching out. Sample trays are helpful when I'm in a strange town.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:28 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
Consider renting some bikes and exploring the city. Portland is one of the most bike-friendly cities in the country (if not #1). They're everywhere there. It'd be convenient to bike from place to place like many locals do and there is always ample parking. It would also give you some exercise between the BBQ and alcohol you might consume

Old 06-18-2013, 11:10 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
You might be interested in one of the brewery tours:

BrewTour
Brewvana
BrewCycle

Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdogg View Post
I've been looking at Mt. Tabor but it didn't look that big. I will definitely check it out.

I've heard of Gigantic Brewing but not Cascade. I'm looking for IPA's but will consider branching out. Sample trays are helpful when I'm in a strange town.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Cascade Brewing is great. They have one of the most unique beer menus for any one microbrewery. The sour beers is are a matter of taste, but they have great IPAs, copper ales, and some really interesting dark or chocolate stouts as well as their own variations on Belgian styles. Just for reference, I was there last night for the first time and I felt bad I hadn't gone there earlier and I tried a lot of beers(slightly hungover today). Great mix of beers and you can order samples of everything--though only two at a time. But it has a serious beer-drinkers attitude--it's not like the more bar and grill type places that people might go to for just a burger and brew--it's for people who are really into trying very unique beers.

Portland also has some amazing Belgian beer bars and bottle shop bars(where you pick beers from a huge selection of domestic and international beers in the coolers next door and then take it to drink at the bar). Belmont Station is a good one along with Sarveza and the Concordia Ale House.

As far as BBQ goes, I like Podnah's Pit--though everyone else does too these days... Clay's used to be good, though, I might like Russell Street more. They've got good pulled pork, Carolina-style vinegar sauces and the sides are awesome. For Podnah's Pit it's all about the brisket. I've heard Leroy's Vittles is good. Just for reference, Hometown Smoker BBQ cart is vegan BBQ--so that might not be what you're looking for. I read a few good reviews lately of Smokehouse 21 over on NW 21st as well...

I live by Mt. Tabor--it's good for a nice afternoon run or hike and some exercise--nice view from up top. If you want to go to the Gorge and go on a good hike, I suggest Dog Mountain--amazing setting up top above the Columbia...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: