Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,496,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Culture Shock...How's that going to play with the locally sourced salt crowd?
Haven't you read this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-friendly.html
It has all the answers you will ever seek, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,411,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
As long as you agree with other Portlanders you'll be fine

I would go a step further and say "as long as you don't rabidly disagree with other Portlanders or dismiss their opinions out of hand."

But, there are some who can be very idiotic and close minded. They seem to be mostly newcomers, sorta like new Vegans who feel they have to convert everyone else to the quinoa and tofu lifestyle.

I saw this unfolding today in one of the food cart pods. The Vegan guy was confronting the new BBQ guy saying "are you going to be smoking here. Because I don't think that appropriate next to a vegan cart." Nevermind that the vegan cart was actually an Indian Food cart, that only served Vegan dishes.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,115,391 times
I don't mind newcomers (or anyone) disagreeing with me. How boring would it be if we all thought the same thing.

What I mind are newcomers telling Portlanders how we ought to be doing things just like wherever they came from. If that's what people want ... why didn't they just stay there?

But, hamellr, I can kind of feel the vegan guy's pain. It seems like a bad pairing to me ... and if I were the BBQ guy, I wouldn't locate next to a vegan cart. You'd have to know that they wouldn't be happy with the smell of roasting flesh wafting over their customers. Kind of like, I wouldn't open up my new fur shop next to the PETA headquarters. At least not without expecting to get a whole boatload of grief from my neighbors.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I would go a step further and say "as long as you don't rabidly disagree with other Portlanders or dismiss their opinions out of hand."

But, there are some who can be very idiotic and close minded. They seem to be mostly newcomers, sorta like new Vegans who feel they have to convert everyone else to the quinoa and tofu lifestyle.

I saw this unfolding today in one of the food cart pods. The Vegan guy was confronting the new BBQ guy saying "are you going to be smoking here. Because I don't think that appropriate next to a vegan cart." Nevermind that the vegan cart was actually an Indian Food cart, that only served Vegan dishes.
I think that sometimes happens when newcomers arrive and discover that not everyone is vegan or whatever they had believed people in Portland to be as they themselves were. That's why they move here in the first place. I have had relatives from back East ask me if I were vegetarian yet because they thought in Portland it was de rigeur.

It's kind of funny, when you think about it; the reputation that an entire city can acquire. But it is also nice that I do have vegetarian friends and a vegan friend who come to visit from other towns and there are lots of nice restaurants here I can take them to.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 AM

322 posts, read 546,286 times
Default Here we go!

OK so I wanted to say thanks to all who offered their opinion, my family have made our trip out there and settled on Vancouver for our initial residential destination. The commutes are managable by East Coast standards and I found by exploring the Portland Metro that you really can't go wrong with your choices..

Couple observations, as they relate to this and other threads on this board..
  1. I saw no evidence of racism during my time there. My Wife and I are both of mixed decent and our Children are virtually unclassifiable because of our "muddied" lines. I saw many more inter-racial couples there in Portland than you typically would in Philadelphia
  2. I can't stand the way Oregonians drive. This is just me and I know I'm coming from a different part of the Country so this is just something I'll have to get used to..but DAMN. Soooooooo slow for no reason other than the Speed Limit. I will say though, infinitely more polite than you would see Back East, the first time I put on my turn signal and the car in the next lane actually slowed down to let me over I didn't even know how to react
  3. People are so friendly it's almost creepy. Again, my baggage, but I had conversations struck up with me from so many random people it wasn't even funny. And then when they heard the accent, forget about it (they hear fuhgedaboudit), I was stuck for a bit
  4. I am a well traveled person but I must say, you really can't beat this area for natural beauty. From the Tree's to the Mountains in the background to the general cleanliness of the area..wow. Also the first time I saw the Columbia River and actually saw people fishing in it..again wow. If you just stare at the Delaware River for long enough you can get Hepatitis
So in conclusion, I've read a large amount of critisism of the area's provincial outlook on itself. People have used the terms "Nirvana", "Utopia", etc in a derogatory fashion but I tell you what..it's earned that designation from me. I only have 11 days until I call it my home and I'm counting every second, I will be proud to have my children grow up in this area.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:38 AM

This should be a different thread probably..oops.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,011,298 times
No, updating your original thread is a good idea, it helps us remember you. So many people come here and get their questions answered and we never find out what happened. Thanks for coming back to let us know the results of your visit!

Best of luck in Vancouver. There is a Vancouver WA board here at city-data, if you have more questions later on.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,892,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
Wise words right there.

Thank you all for your feedback, you've given me a lot to consider.

While I have you, may I impose on you all for another question? Culture Shock. I've been in NJ in the Philadelphia Metro for 12 years and my personality reflects it. I can be direct and abrasive (this town is famous for throwing snowballs at Santa at an Eagles game after all), but the one thing you can always count on is an honest response..whether you want to hear it or not. How's that going to play with the locally sourced salt crowd?
You may have a difficult time. Super direct, even though honest, is not always appreciated here. . I am from San Francisco but have lived in NYC and other cities on the East coast and I have to adjust my tone, choice of words and attitude sometimes. The thing is, I AM a West coaster so that is not that difficult for me. Every "assertive" East coaster transplant that I have met here is struggling because they are not used to the West coast passive aggressive ways of doing things. This is based on my own personal observations...

Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,892,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think that sometimes happens when newcomers arrive and discover that not everyone is vegan or whatever they had believed people in Portland to be as they themselves were. That's why they move here in the first place. I have had relatives from back East ask me if I were vegetarian yet because they thought in Portland it was de rigeur.

It's kind of funny, when you think about it; the reputation that an entire city can acquire. But it is also nice that I do have vegetarian friends and a vegan friend who come to visit from other towns and there are lots of nice restaurants here I can take them to.
Yup, Minerva, I know bout this vegan concept well. This is what happened to San Francisco in the late 80's and I remember working with a dreaded(hair) vegan girl from Wisconsin who was always lecturing about vegan ism. I was early to mid 20's and born and raised in S.F. but the transplants moving at that time decided to start being very aggressive about all of their ideas in regards to the city I loved. Before that time it was more, "live and let live" and of course it was politically liberal progressive but all kinds of people lived next to each other peacefully, for the most part. The late 80's things started to change and now S.F. is full of transplants who want everyone to be just the same as them. Portland is like that at present. I didn't move here to be trendy but for important reasons involving our children. Sure, I love that there are good food options here and I enjoy the recycling and composting bins at Whole Foods(other locations around the country don't do this) and at Burgerville but that is not why my family moved here. I am happy that there are vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free options but some of us just want to eat a slab of ribs and call it a day...

Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
You may have a difficult time. Super direct, even though honest, is not always appreciated here. . I am from San Francisco but have lived in NYC and other cities on the East coast and I have to adjust my tone, choice of words and attitude sometimes. The thing is, I AM a West coaster so that is not that difficult for me. Every "assertive" East coaster transplant that I have met here is struggling because they are not used to the West coast passive aggressive ways of doing things. This is based on my own personal observations...

It's going to be a challenge for sure, I don't do or tolerate passive aggressive well. I'll be running a Team of 10 or so, I really feel bad for them as I work myself through this transition.

I still think direct and honest is the best approach, just have to work on my delivery so I don't make anyone cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland