Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times

Advertisements

And as others have said, don't overthink it. You can make adjustments to other things when you get here. You will never be able to get exact estimates until you move here and settle in. Just take the leap and do it.
I did over 35 years ago and many have done it in the last 6 months. Stop obsessing and just go for it!

Old 06-07-2013, 09:26 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
And as others have said, don't overthink it. You can make adjustments to other things when you get here. You will never be able to get exact estimates until you move here and settle in. Just take the leap and do it.
I did over 35 years ago and many have done it in the last 6 months. Stop obsessing and just go for it!
I think I'm obsessing over what my electric bill will cost. If it's as high as many say it can be, money wise, no point in living there, except for the absolute beauty of the place (okay, that pushes for the win every time). Also, if I live like I do now, minimally, then unfortunately there really won't be room for adjustments in other places. Don't get me wrong, I can afford it for now, but I'd rather not have to get two jobs because my darn electric bill is costing me body parts, lol. I already live like that now, it's not fun no matter where you live.

Minus rent being lower, it seems like everything else is going to be more expensive (not a lot individually, but altogether, maybe enough to offset my lower rent). For me that could be an issue in the long run. It seems like the apt is going to be the true factor. Yikes.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
If things are that tight, stay where you are, with what you know. It's too iffy when budgets are that tight, wait until you have a little wiggle room before you move. Or get a roommate.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 PM

537 posts, read 1,242,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I think I'm obsessing over what my electric bill will cost. If it's as high as many say it can be, money wise, no point in living there, except for the absolute beauty of the place (okay, that pushes for the win every time). Also, if I live like I do now, minimally, then unfortunately there really won't be room for adjustments in other places. Don't get me wrong, I can afford it for now, but I'd rather not have to get two jobs because my darn electric bill is costing me body parts, lol. I already live like that now, it's not fun no matter where you live.

Minus rent being lower, it seems like everything else is going to be more expensive (not a lot individually, but altogether, maybe enough to offset my lower rent). For me that could be an issue in the long run. It seems like the apt is going to be the true factor. Yikes.
For me, I feel like things are the opposite. I am paying more for rent but about the same or less for utilities (and I'm actually adding on utilities since I've never paid for water/sewage before). I'm really interested to see how my utilities are after a few months, and I definitely overestimated to cover any unexpected costs. I understand obsessing over it, because I had to do a lot of research as well. You don't want to spend all of this time planning for a move and then realize you're broke!

Let me know if you are still in need of a place to stay when you get here. Or were you able to secure an apartment (sorry, I've been trying to catch up!). The lady I'm renting from has a dog friendly home, but I'm not sure if she has anyone living in her home next month. I can ask though. If your dogs are well trained and like other animals, they can hang out in the backyard and house (there's a doggy door). Also, your room would be pretty private since you get the whole upstairs to yourself. You would only share a bathroom.

Also, have you checked out the state of Oregon job listings and applied? My unit is opening another position for an assistant, but I'm not sure when the closing date is. If you apply now, you could get an interview by the end of June. It would be a great start, and you would have benefits.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
I'm going to guess with any equalization plan, if you don't stay for more than a year, they'll make any adjustments in the final bill.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
For me, I feel like things are the opposite. I am paying more for rent but about the same or less for utilities (and I'm actually adding on utilities since I've never paid for water/sewage before). I'm really interested to see how my utilities are after a few months, and I definitely overestimated to cover any unexpected costs. I understand obsessing over it, because I had to do a lot of research as well. You don't want to spend all of this time planning for a move and then realize you're broke!

Let me know if you are still in need of a place to stay when you get here. Or were you able to secure an apartment (sorry, I've been trying to catch up!). The lady I'm renting from has a dog friendly home, but I'm not sure if she has anyone living in her home next month. I can ask though. If your dogs are well trained and like other animals, they can hang out in the backyard and house (there's a doggy door). Also, your room would be pretty private since you get the whole upstairs to yourself. You would only share a bathroom.

Also, have you checked out the state of Oregon job listings and applied? My unit is opening another position for an assistant, but I'm not sure when the closing date is. If you apply now, you could get an interview by the end of June. It would be a great start, and you would have benefits.
Glad I'm not alone in the researching and wanting to be prepared. I'll need to know how much I need to make at a job to support myself. I doubt it will need to be what I made here, but not sure how low I can go either (hence the trying to get numbers now, versus later).

I haven't gotten an apt yet (going to see if I can find/secure something on Tuesday). Where are you at? I'm trying to find something somewhat central, but I wasn't sure if you were in downtown. I recall you wanting to be near public transportation (but obviously that doesn't mean you're in downtown). I will take any references.

I'll check out the Oregon job listings. You can PM me if you'd like for this, but what unit are you with?

I appreciate the heads up about the room and job. Thanks for everything!

Old 06-08-2013, 04:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Pischick, did you mention what line of work you are in or what you would be looking for?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Pischick, did you mention what line of work you are in or what you would be looking for?
Not sure if I did. I've been an admin assistant for the past 13 years (so looking for senior admin asst or exec asst job titles). I think one area I'm going to have a hard time with is where the incomes start at. I was topped out at my last job.

Can't believe a job "requirement" I just saw: "must have been employed in the last 30 days"
I thought they couldn't do that. Or maybe I just read an article about trying to make that illegal. Tangent. Sorry.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Not sure if I did. I've been an admin assistant for the past 13 years (so looking for senior admin asst or exec asst job titles). I think one area I'm going to have a hard time with is where the incomes start at. I was topped out at my last job.

Can't believe a job "requirement" I just saw: "must have been employed in the last 30 days"
I thought they couldn't do that. Or maybe I just read an article about trying to make that illegal. Tangent. Sorry.
No, not at all. The job requirements here are pretty demanding. It's an employer's market. They can ask for anything and they do. Just to tide you over until you do find what you are lookin for, I will suggest to you is to sign up with a temp agency.

I used to be part of a hiring team for my department before I retired and we took people from Volt employment agency. There are other agencies so you can shop around if you decide to go that route. The best thing about doing that is you can pretty well be assured of getting something pretty quickly if you don't have any immediate job possibilties.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:22 PM

537 posts, read 1,242,844 times
Quote:
Glad I'm not alone in the researching and wanting to be prepared. I'll need to know how much I need to make at a job to support myself. I doubt it will need to be what I made here, but not sure how low I can go either (hence the trying to get numbers now, versus later).

I haven't gotten an apt yet (going to see if I can find/secure something on Tuesday). Where are you at? I'm trying to find something somewhat central, but I wasn't sure if you were in downtown. I recall you wanting to be near public transportation (but obviously that doesn't mean you're in downtown). I will take any references.

I'll check out the Oregon job listings. You can PM me if you'd like for this, but what unit are you with?

I appreciate the heads up about the room and job. Thanks for everything!
Right now, I live pretty far Southeast near the 122nd max station (and about a block away from #20 busline). It's a nice little area but pretty far from downtown where I work. I'll send you the link from airbnb when I PM you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland