Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 AM

131 posts, read 277,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You won't win if you were here for 30 days or more. They record your plates and cross check with Parking enforcement (Instant) and Patrol observation. Patrol Observation records frequint out of state at apartments, schools and business locations.
I don't know if you're joking with that information or not?! That sounds completely insane if it's true. I hope it's a joke.

Anyway, this is off topic from original post! I just thought I would mention that California plates can be a target and that the cops are quick to ticket for registration noncompliance. It became a huge hassle and a ton of stress for me that I would next time just avoid. I wasn't trying to cheat the system, I genuinely thought I had 30 days...the cops don't have time to listen and decipher everyone's story...they just ticket and let the court handle it. Luckily, I have proof to support my situation, otherwise it would be $400+. The fines will be dropped.

Last edited by travelin'bones; 06-11-2013 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: err

Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,338,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Where should I go? It looks like a "small" area (when I say small, I mean smaller than Beaverton and even Lake Oswego. Any specific areas (cross streets) you think is fun and interesting? I don't mean "upbeat" I just mean different.
Hillsdale is a neighborhood, not a suburb, so it is smaller. The main point of interest is the Hillsdale Shopping Center on Capitol Hwy. With the exception of Starbucks, a UPS store and Subway, it's a varied mix of locally owned small businesses, a food co-op grocery store (open to all) and restaurants. There are some new food carts by the high school on the east end of the strip. Library, pharmacy, small post office, and liquor store all within the area. From May to October, there is a great little farmer's market at the east end. On the other side of Hillsdale is Multnomah Village, a small, charming two block stretch with art galleries, restaurants, antique shops, a couple of clothing stores and more. Also a Starbucks, but they're everywhere, aren't they?
Other than those two retail areas, it's a mix of houses and apartments, some older, some newer. It's also home to a large Jewish community, so there is a community center (open to all) and school and several Jewish small businesses and offices.
At the corner of Vermont and 45th is the Southwest Community Center and Gabriel park which has a leash free dog park in it. Also a few other small businesses nearby.
So it's got a little bit of everything, is not cookie cutter suburbia at all, but has all the grocery stores and large chainstores you might need within 5 miles.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,772,384 times
Quote:
Well...since my plates don't look like regular CA plates, I think I can get away with it. And yes, I'm told to get rid of mine too. Honestly, it'll depend if I can get any money back on my tags. I'm not going to waste $350 dollars just so ppl dislike me less.
You'll be shocked by how nasty people are though. We had a car rental that had regular California plates. People would glare at me in parking lots. They'd stare at the plates while walking up to the car, and then glare at me as they were walking along side my car. Very aggressive. I felt like yelling, "I'm from Pennsylvania!!!!!!!!!"

Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 AM

892 posts, read 1,587,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You'll be shocked by how nasty people are though. We had a car rental that had regular California plates. People would glare at me in parking lots. They'd stare at the plates while walking up to the car, and then glare at me as they were walking along side my car. Very aggressive. I felt like yelling, "I'm from Pennsylvania!!!!!!!!!"
Being from Pennsylvania, you probably used your horn or drove impatiently and didn't realize it. That would get you glares.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,605,023 times
Quote:
Sigh. Here's my short explanation to my "attitude". My core values are based on human beings having choices. No one has to do anything they don't want to. That doesn't mean there aren't consequences (legally or otherwise, like affecting ppl). It just means we all have choices. I have a choice to register my car immediately or not and I understand the consequences (thank you everyone for letting me know). So being told I "have" to do something, law breaking or not, never sits well with me. It's a fault, I get stubborn, I know. But I don't like my choices being taken away from me either.
If you plan to be one more rape it and leave it Californian, don't expect a pleasant experience in Oregon. The consequences may be more profound than you imagine. You could easily end up with your tires slashed or your paint job keyed by identifying yourself as a transient. If you don't want to waste your $350 registration fee, all you have to do is stay in California. Good luck filling out the police report while explaining that you just didn't feel like changing your drivers license.

It's the same deal on dog licenses. The fine for invalid license will run about $350, and you don't get the dog back until you have paid the fine, immunization and license fees. We figured out a while back that if people can't be responsible dog owners, just take their dog. That may not be a big consequence for you, but you have about 2 weeks to come up with the scratch or your dog ends up dead.

These are just a couple of examples. Either up your game to become a decent citizen or stay where you are.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
Being from Pennsylvania, you probably used your horn or drove impatiently and didn't realize it. That would get you glares.
I wasn't driving. I was sitting in my car in parking lots when this happened. They were clearly disturbed by the license plate.

To be fair, it happened more in Washington than Oregon, but it did happen in Oregon too.

btw, I'm from Pittsburgh, not Philadelphia. We don't blow our horns here.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:06 PM

254 posts, read 441,298 times
Even with all the times I've been to Portland, I never realized that Portlanders don't really blow their horns. My cousin yelled at me for honking at someone who was coming into my lane last time we were up there. Said I'd have to give that up once I moved. Honestly, I told my husband I need to give up driving in general when we move. I drive like an Angeleno. It's going to be a HUGE adjustment for me.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondeera View Post
Even with all the times I've been to Portland, I never realized that Portlanders don't really blow their horns. My cousin yelled at me for honking at someone who was coming into my lane last time we were up there. Said I'd have to give that up once I moved. Honestly, I told my husband I need to give up driving in general when we move. I drive like an Angeleno. It's going to be a HUGE adjustment for me.
We don't honk in Pittsburgh unless it's a dangerous situation and the other driver doesn't see us. If we can slow down or avoid someone pulling into our lane, it's not a dangerous situation. The horn is merely a means for helping others see us for safety reasons, not a way to express our distaste for other people's driving. I couldn't live in Jersey or NYC where they blow their horns constantly.

What amazed me was that people in Porland follow the speed limit. They wouldn't survive in Pittsburgh. The speed limit is merely a suggestion here. It's rare to get a ticket for speeding.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM

254 posts, read 441,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What amazed me was that people in Porland follow the speed limit. They wouldn't survive in Pittsburgh. The speed limit is merely a suggestion here. It's rare to get a ticket for speeding.
Yeah, that's another reason I need to walk/bike more. In SoCal, the speed limit is the starting point. You'll get dirty looks for not going at least the limit. My husband, who drives like an absolute grandma here, looks like a madman in PDX. But, hey, hopefully it translates to safer roads. I mean, really, we should be obeying the traffic laws. They're there for a reason.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,055,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin'bones View Post
I don't know if you're joking with that information or not?! That sounds completely insane if it's true. I hope it's a joke.

Anyway, this is off topic from original post! I just thought I would mention that California plates can be a target and that the cops are quick to ticket for registration noncompliance. It became a huge hassle and a ton of stress for me that I would next time just avoid. I wasn't trying to cheat the system, I genuinely thought I had 30 days...the cops don't have time to listen and decipher everyone's story...they just ticket and let the court handle it. Luckily, I have proof to support my situation, otherwise it would be $400+. The fines will be dropped.
Oh, I wouldn't assume the cop would stop writing a ticket, that's why I suggested fighting it if your circumstances warranted it (of course, after the ticket was written).

Here's a funny thing. I was up there yesterday securing an apartment. Got a rental car. Guess where the plates were from? California. Guess what month they were good until? May 2014. I guess even rental car agencies don't "update" their registration within 30-days (but then again, maybe they don't have to as I was told there's a lot from UT and CA rental cars). Maybe that's why the cops were checking me out when I drove past. Or maybe that I was driving a hybrid helped me escape it. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland