Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:23 PM

135 posts, read 222,298 times

Advertisements

Do the cops go in there often? Is it common for homeless to sleep in there undisturbed? I have a camo bivy and TINY camo waterproof tent(plus a camo hammock for dry nights).. Whats the chances of being "discovered" by cops sleeping only at night? Waking up at sunrise, and walking into the city for showers, eating, etc? I realize this may not be the best forum for this since most of you on here are probably "professional" types, and not poor people, but I am looking for observations from locals about the area and if its possible to do this without getting rousted? Of course I would leave nothing laying around in the day and switch spots nightly.. Opinions?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,629,559 times
There was a man and his daughter discovered a few years ago by hikers who had been living in Forest Park for several years undetected. They tried to help him find housing and had his daughter in temporary care but he came and took her and disappeared because he thought helicopters were after him. So, yes, but only if you're a major survivalist and go so deep you won't have any contact with the world like these people did. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
There was a man and his daughter discovered a few years ago by hikers who had been living in Forest Park for several years undetected. They tried to help him find housing and had his daughter in temporary care but he came and took her and disappeared because he thought helicopters were after him. So, yes, but only if you're a major survivalist and go so deep you won't have any contact with the world like these people did. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Well, I would imagine that they were caught mainly because they had a permanent camp site.. My idea is to set up a hammock(or waterproof tent) only after dark, sleep til just before dawn, wake up, pack EVERYTHING up(I have very little anyway) and walk into downtown for services.. And every night I sleep I find different spots in the park.. How many homeless actually do this? I'll bet most of them put up a tent and keep it up for a least a few nights..I wouldn't do that.. But do cops actually go into the woods at night looking for homeless?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 PM

347 posts, read 669,570 times
Family camped in downtown Portland for 4 years | Offbeat Oregon History

Here's an article concerning the two oldtintype was talking about.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
Family camped in downtown Portland for 4 years | Offbeat Oregon History

Here's an article concerning the two oldtintype was talking about.
That's fascinating!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:18 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
You will be dripping wet and shivering with cold for 8 or 9 months of the year, waterproof tent or not. Working with the abundant homeless advocacy groups and finding a permanent shelter is a much better idea.

PS.
While we are on the subject, there are 2 types of homeless:
1. Homeless due to life circumstances or mental disease. This kind of homeless deserves sympathy and all the help the society can give them, including temp housing, work-placement assistance, and medication.
2. Homeless as a lifestyle choice. Teens or 20-somethings with guitars and dogs, hanging out at Pioneer Courthouse Square, often stoned and asking passers-by for money to get more stoned. Are you the 2nd type? Are you allergic to work? Then don't come to Portland. Make something with your life, and contribute to the world, like the rest of us.

Last edited by skiffrace; 06-05-2013 at 06:42 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 06:42 AM

I will if I can, but until I find a small space I can AFFORD the woods are my only option..Sad but true..

Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
You will get rousted frequently, so many other people try to do this that plenty of organizations "patrol" the area looking specifically for homeless camps. The Portland Police and Park Patrol who do so have thermal goggles, and a few of the independent patrollers do also. They know all the good "hidden" spots to camp already and target those specifically. From what I heard you usually get a warning the first time or two before you spend a night courtesy the local government.

The other thing you need to worry about is Poison Ivy. Most of it is cleared away from around trails and roads, but those same areas that you'd be camping in aren't cleared.

The biggest problem is sanitation, that is why the park is patrolled. Trash and human waste end up polluting the area and costing the tax payers a lot of money to clean up. This happens because you have to camp so far away from Portland that people don't hike there every day to take care of basic needs.

The DEA used to patrol the area in helicopters too, I don't know if they still do, but at one time people were trying to setup grow operations in the park and they were shutting them down pretty quickly.

I've heard that the Anarchist will also go looking for homeless campers in the park for less savory reasons. That was told to me by someone who camped in the park for a while and decided it was too dangerous to continue to do so. He also wasn't all there so I'd take with a grain of salt, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 AM

Good thing I've got a special survival bag that hides my thermal signature huh? So if homeless poor people can't sleep in the woods, are they SUPPOSED to sleep on the sidewalk? Is that what all you "normal" people want? To see us out in the open sleeping right in front of you? I don't get it?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:37 AM
FSF

261 posts, read 312,098 times
I don't know the area well enough to know whether your plan is feasible or not but best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland