Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times

Advertisements

This is why in AZ you take the plate off of the vehicle and ensure that the buyer has a 3 day permit and Arizona insurance with the proper VIN before you hand over the keys. Then you immedeatly go to the DMV and submit the transfer slip and keep your proof of transfer until 3 or 4 months pass.

I just sold my CLS here in Oregon, and I think it's stupid to keep re-using the same plate. If Oregon were smart they would go to the AZ system. It would be more revenue for the state and stupid things like tickets, debts for damage, or crimes following plate numbers would not happen.

I told the buyer that we would have to do the transfer at a DMV to protect both parties. Luckily, he thought similar to myself and agreed it was a good idea.

I'm selling my truck next week, the buyer seems shady, nice guy but kind of oblivious. Hope this sale goes smooth.

good post and food for though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Steve, you sem to think it's OK for a citizen that's following the law to waste a bunch of his or hers time and money to fight something that efficient government should have already taken care of...

That's just wrong.....My tax dollars at work supporting wasteful beuaracracy, I guess......
(Sorry I cant spell the B word)

BTW, I come from "car family" and we buy and sell a lot of cars.

We will not let one leave our property unless the buyer accompanies us to DMV and does the title paperwork right then and there.

I have been burned too many times on the title/registration BS. No More!

Some people didn't care for the inconvenience, but we won't do a sale unless that happens.
If they really want the car, it's their option to get pissy and back out, not mine.
I really don't care, no matter what they say...

It has cost us a sale or two (actually eight to be exact) but I don't care, the peice of mind is always worth it, and the buyers agreed.

I would rather restfully sleep at night than worry.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-06-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
BTW, I come from "car family" and we buy and sell a lot of cars.
So are you a dealer?

I should have added a buying tip. Don't deal with the seller who is anyone but the actual owner of the car and verify it. "I'm selling it for" (my friend), uncle, cousin who is in the military, etc. usually means curbstoners. Curbstoner is another type of buyers who buy cars to flip without getting it registered in their name. This type will of course low ball you.

This type will may ask you not to fill the REASSIGNMENT section of the title even though he has you fill out a bill of sale. Another thing is to only make bill of sale to the buyer as verified by their driver's license.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Excellent advice!
In my experience, anything under 5K should be looked at closely.
Flippers buy something really cheap, get it running and unload it.

Nope,I'm not a dealer.
Some people just buy a Honda Civic and drive it for 20 years.
My family loves cars and it is unusual for somebody to hang on to one more than a year or two.
We buy cool cars, drive them until the "new" (to us) wears off, and unless it's unusual or a classic, we don't hang on to any particular car for very long.

I've gotten to drive a ton of very unique cars over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland