Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:10 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,396,792 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting the area in July. I've looked at all the hotels on TripAdvisor, but it's hard to tell, since I'm not familiar with Portland, what surrounds them. I have some friends in NE Portland, so I want to be convenient to them, but also want some restaurants, coffee house, etc., nearby. I would take driving a little further to get to NE Portland over having to stay by the airport or out in the middle of nowhere.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Number one priority is clean, followed by keeping in the $90-125 range. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
The airport is actually in Northeast Portland, but I suspect you're interested in being closer to downtown. IIRC, there's a Motel 6 and a La Quinta Inn in the Lloyd District near the light rail line. I have no direct experience with either, but that's where I'd look first.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
You might be interested in McMenamin's Kennedy School. It's at the higher end of your range, but might be near your friends. And while it's not necessary nearby to the restaurants, etc., it does have a lot of that on site.

Another option, more in the downtown area is the Jupiter Hotel it's right in the thick of things, many great restaurants within a block or two. But, the Doug Fir, the restaurant/bar attached to it has live music. And I understand it can get loud, so if you're not into that.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:37 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
I you are interested in something out of the ordinary: McMenamins - Kennedy School Room Rates

Enrico beat me to the recommendation!

Old 06-11-2013, 04:39 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Hey, a good recommendation is a good recommendation. Lol.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:37 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,672 times
Wow guys! The Kennedy is on par, pricewise with a Holiday Inn Express with a lot more cool stuff! For cheap its hard to beat Motel VI (looks classier) They have a good pet policy. Downside: its lower cost so you might be rubbing elbows with ummm..... people "with different life goals" than yours.

Had good luck at the Hayden Meadows location. Motel 6 Portland North Hotel - Portland, OR - Motels & Hotels
It's in a good location for getting out to different parts of the city except at peak rush hour, no worse than anywhere else. Close to the Mississippi district (coffee, eats, people watching). Hop skip and a jump from there across the Broadway bridge into downtown. Easy to get into NE Portland from there as well.

There are other hotels near the venerable VI if you prefer a better looking lobby.

Bestwestern.com, the World's Biggest Hotel Family®

Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Most of the hotels are going to either be around the Lloyd Center or Airport in NE Portland. Anything outside of those areas(except for the aforementioned Kennedy School) is going to be sort of a dive for the most part...

There's a few hotels on East Burnside that are close to some walk able areas--however at the same time, those hotels and the ones in the Lloyd Center area are basically so close to downtown that you could just stay downtown--it wouldn't be that much further to wherever you're going to visit in NE Portland for the most part probably. Portland isn't that big a city in terms of travel times--unless when you say NE Portland you're referring to somewhere way out on the east side towards Gresham or north towards Columbia Blvd...

Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
I don't know the cost because I stayed there for a convention and got convention rates but the Red Lion at the Lloyd Center is a nice one. You have everything you would want around that area and a nice hotel to stay in. But of course, it would all depend upon what the cost would be.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Wow guys! The Kennedy is on par, pricewise with a Holiday Inn Express with a lot more cool stuff! For cheap its hard to beat Motel VI (looks classier) They have a good pet policy. Downside: its lower cost so you might be rubbing elbows with ummm..... people "with different life goals" than yours.

Had good luck at the Hayden Meadows location. Motel 6 Portland North Hotel - Portland, OR - Motels & Hotels
It's in a good location for getting out to different parts of the city except at peak rush hour, no worse than anywhere else. Close to the Mississippi district (coffee, eats, people watching). Hop skip and a jump from there across the Broadway bridge into downtown. Easy to get into NE Portland from there as well.

There are other hotels near the venerable VI if you prefer a better looking lobby.

Bestwestern.com, the World's Biggest Hotel Family®
Hayden is good for the reasons you've mentioned.

The OP should steer clear of anything east of MLK at that latitude, though. Down closer to Fremont as others note, being a bit East is OK however.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:40 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Hayden is good for the reasons you've mentioned.

The OP should steer clear of anything east of MLK at that latitude, though. Down closer to Fremont as others note, being a bit East is OK however.
Agreed. I like that area for a reason. It is somewhat removed from anything so not a lot of traffic into the area. I lived in St. Johns for years. I roll up the windows when I drive through the old neighborhood these days.

Kenton is right up the road. Decent cafe up there and a small commercial strip. Nothing like Mississippi st. though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: