Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Living in southern California, deciding on move to Portland Oregon or Austin Texas, affordable housing, open minded people, safety, good weather and air quality, scenery, music scene, traffic

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:57 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times

Advertisements

and I liked Portland better. I'm actually a native Texan. Both places now have much higher rents than they did in the 90s. I do not know about the current Austin job market but Oregon has never had a good economy. It all really depends on what matters most to you. Both places have can have a laid back feel to them. Both places are havens for artists and intellectuals. Austin has a special area that surrounds it called the "hill country". My ancestors are from this area and it is truly unique. You could really get a lot of out driving to these areas, as well as all that Austin has to offer. Portland has a similar scene only it seemed to me to be much friendlier and less "party" oriented, maybe even slightly cooler, though only slightly. I think Portland has a real ancient vibe about it, like a place to meet all your soul mates from past lives. I am still good friends with a guy I met there in 1994, and things that happened there had a life changing effect on me. I am not that close to the people I met in Austin, though that place changed my life too. I think both places are good for different reasons. Austin has terrible humidity, though, and the rain in Portland seemed very dour (I only lived there in the summer with only a brief exposure to the fall weather change-- it was spooky!) I've actually given up on both towns for Albuquerque, New Mexico which is not cool and has great weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 05:49 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
I grew up in Southern California, went to grad school in Austin (and spent 9 years there), and I live near Portland now. I am so, so, so much happier in Portland than I ever was in Austin. It was super tough for me to adjust to Austin because when people say it is "scenic," they are comparing it to Waco and Amarillo, not San Diego. I wouldn't underestimate the importance of the way a place looks because it creates the vibe more than anything. Oregon has water, mountains, and pine trees. The entire time I lived in Austin, I never stopped longing for the beauty of the West Coast.

I'll take gray days and drizzle over heat and humidity any day, but that's just me. When the sun comes out in Oregon, it is glorious.

Are you willing to rehab a house while you live in it? Oregon real estate has flattened but you can still find a deal if you are willing to put in some sweat equity.

I have terrible allergies, too. I had to do allergy shots for several years in Austin and then I felt fine. I'm starting the same process now in Portland. Allergists have learned a lot about how to help people with allergies...if you move here, I can recommend a good allergist.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,321 times
Default Portland is great but the job-market can be hit or miss

I too am pondering a move to either Austin or Portland and am taking many things into consideration. I've never been to Austin so I can't comment on it necessarily, but I can tell you how great Portland is. You have to be able to take the winter weather however, it is greatly different from anywhere else in the country, even Seattle. I happen to thrive in the rain and snow, so it never phases me. And I guarantee, even though you may think you can do without the mountains or ocean right now, you will long for them at some point. I've been told of the Austin-area hill country and, well, am skeptical I guess. Onward.... Portland has a spectacular music, food (in which a lot is locally grown/caught/raised), coffee/ wine/ beer scene, many markets, an outstanding public transportation system and pretty friendly people. Portland can be tough financially because, for whatever reason, the economy in Oregon has seemed to always stagger and stumble. In closing this reply I am now wondering where the debate is actually coming up in my own decision making. I've always loved the Pacific Northwest!

Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,003 times
We just moved to Portland from laguna beach about a year and a half ago. Same reason you are wanting to leave San Diego. to afford a house meant moving to a questionable neighborhood out in the Inland Empire. We chose Portand for all the things we wanted and really overlooked the things we didn't. We are now making plans to move out of here as quickly as possible as I think this is the last winter we will be able to handle. Portland is a great city as is Austin which was another of our considerations. It is great but has some negative things to consider. It rains, a lot and when it doesnt rain it is still gray and cloudy. this weather is very tolerable if you have nothing to do but light a fire and look out the nature. But if you have to commute, and work and do errands and exercise and whatever else most of us have to do on a daily basis, it is not fun in the rain and even less fun after an ice storm or snow.

Coming from SoCal you may find the retail and restaurants underwhelming. There are some good stores and restaurants here but they are fairly few and far between. Summers are great but are way too short. Home prices are not much less here that San Diego now that SD has gone down some. We were surprised at the cost and the Property taxes. Those property taxes and income tax are something to look into as wellas they were much higher than we expected. Finally the coast here is spectacular to look at but bring a sweater and dont even think you are going to get in the water. It is a very different life here and takes some getting used to. Unfortunately for us there is no getting used to it. Good Luck and if you do come here for a visit (which I recommend before making your decision) stay at the Benson downtown. Great hotel

Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,879 times
I, too, had asthma prior to moving to Oregon with my native Oregon husband. I became so much worse. You will hear this a LOT from others who have allergies/asthma. (I have met other asthmatics in the emergency room, several times, who are in the same boat!) Honestly, if you are at a crossroads, choose TEXAS!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM

254 posts, read 442,517 times
That's interesting - I see Portland, OR consistently ranked as one of the best cities in the U.S. for people with asthma and allergies. Even the AAFA says so. It was #5 on the 2012 list.

5. Portland, Oregon - 10 Best Big Cities for People With Asthma - Health.com

I imagine it depends a lot on where you are coming FROM as well. For us it should be a big improvement over Southern California's asthma/allergy ratings, which are terrible.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM

254 posts, read 442,517 times
Also, I wonder what the OP ended up doing and how it worked out for them.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdalemommy View Post
I, too, had asthma prior to moving to Oregon with my native Oregon husband. I became so much worse. You will hear this a LOT from others who have allergies/asthma. (I have met other asthmatics in the emergency room, several times, who are in the same boat!) Honestly, if you are at a crossroads, choose TEXAS!
I don't know. I used to live in Dallas, and people all around me were saying how bad their allergy problems were. Back in Texas spring weather brought in extremely high pollen counts and there was no escaping from sneezes and sniffles.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,959 times
i'm a san diego native, and though I like warmer weather and cheaper housing would be nice, you couldn't pay me enough to live in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland