Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times

Advertisements

AC is not really that common or really that needed. We hit 100 temps approximately 3 times each summer, usually in August. It's is not uncommon to not have to pack up your winter clothes until after the 4th of July and drag them back out again in mid-October. I would recommend getting a window unit ASAP, as they do tend to sell out the second it hits 100.

I'm not sure why Mt. Hood is an issue. But if it is because it's a volcano, so is Mt. Tabor and that is in SE Portland. I was 6 when Mt. St. Helen's blew living in Eastern Washington and we were hit with enough ash they ended the school year two weeks early. If Mt. Hood blows, being this close it isn't going to matter what side of the river we live on.

As for beer/dinner, Henry's Tavern might suit what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Oh my! Mt. Hood? Seriously? As in erupting?

If this were seriously a concern (and it's not), you wouldn't want to live on the mountain, or on the banks of the Sandy or Columbia Rivers (near the mountain). The rest of the east bank of the Willamette? Not even slightly a concern.

The bridges are a slight issue, but there are a lot of them. Keep in mind, since you're thinking of living west of the Tualatin Mountains, those present a commute issue to downtown Portland. There are only so many decent routes over the mountain ... fewer, in fact, than there are ways to cross the Willamette.
As someone in the earth sciences professionally, I'm probably overreacting... but I am hoping to stay in Portland for a while, and it isn't easy to predict the future. As far as destructive potential... it really just depends on how Mt Hood erupts. It is overdue for an eruption, and it is likely to have an explosive eruption when it does go. If something happens to Hood like what happened to Mt St Helens... then Portland would be fine if Hood blows out the north or east sides. If Hood blows out its west side... then the east side of Portland is in trouble.

Yeah the tunnel was a concern... but I was figuring that on 26 the commute would generally be a reverse commute with people heading out to Intel/Nike, etc. in the mornings and into Portland in the evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You won't find many places with a straight air conditioner. Some places will have a heat pump, which can be used as an air conditioner in the summer.

Heat pumps are more common in single family houses than in town houses or apartments, because of the noise factor.
Yeah at heat pump... central HVAC... that general thing is what I'm looking for haha. Most townhouses I've ever come across have them, so it's kind of strange to see that as an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
Friendly people here 'ey OP?

rofl..
Yeah that was an odd response. I know Oregonians are generally friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
With a dog of the size of yours, the wish for three bedrooms and your need for central AC, I would seriously consider renting a house. A two bedroom town house wouldn't be difficult but the other two wants will be difficult to find.
Well I don't require three bedrooms... I can deal with two bedrooms. I've so far had little issue finding pet-friendly rentals... in some cases it does kind of suck that they list a 45 pound weight limit when my dog is right at that... I might have to negotiate a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I see you live in Indiana...the heat here is nothing like the heat there and we don't get really high temps very often. When it does get hot the evenings cool down and so no, not many places have central air conditioning because it's not needed. People do indeed mostly use window air conditioners or portable air conditioners. Out of everyone I know, I have two friends with central air. No one else has it.

Not sure what your fear is about the east side, but if you're working in the Pearl I'd really fear the commute from the areas you're mentioning more than any issues with Mt. Hood. The bridges here are also not like regular bridges. I'm originally from San Francisco and yes, crossing the Bay Bridge or Golden Gate Bridge can be a nightmare. Here the bridges are free, they are numerous and there isn't a specific issue to crossing them. If the streets are crowded the bridges are too. If they're not, they aren't. Traffic isn't specific to the bridges as there are no tolls. Anyway, if you plan to take Max and the streetcar your commute from Beaverton will be OK but if you're driving...and you have the option to live somewhere closer in I'd go for it. You'll save a lot on time and gas. If you're looking for a more suburban feel there are areas of outer SW and NW that are more like that but you don't have to take 26 to get to the Pearl. Quite frankly if it was me, I'd live somewhere off the streetcar or a bus line that goes to the Pearl because parking will cost you a fortune too (in addition to the gas and time for the commute). Portland is dog friendly and there is for example a dog park at Wallace, which is in the upper part of NW that has a lot of condos, etc. that take dogs. You can be in the city and not be IN the city if that makes sense. Many of the neighborhoods are more suburban in feel and have lots of dog friendly options but would make your commute more livable.
Interesting... so by outer SW, what about Tualatin? I've been seeing a lot of listings there lately, and I would take I-5 to 405 for a commute instead of 26... would that be okay maybe?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:33 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Quote:
Bridgeport Brewery has a restaurant and is a good lunch (or dinner) option. It's right off the streetcar and walking distance from most of NW (or the Pearl). That would solve your food and your beer issue There are also tons of restaurants all over NW and downtown so it won't be hard to find something, even if you're just wandering around.
Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I had central air put in when I bought my house because I hate really hot weather. I knew I would only be using it maybe 15-20 days out of the whole year, but it was still worth it to me. Before that, I had a window unit in my bedroom and just sort of lived in there until the heat wave passed. So if you can put up with that (living in one room with forays out for food and the bathroom) for a few days a year, just get a window unit for wherever you end up renting.

Good luck on your interview!
Yeah I can't stand it when it gets above really 72. In winter I'll sleep at 60, and in summer at 68 lol. If all else fails, I can probably deal with a window unit in the room my dog is staying in during the day and maybe my bedroom or something depending on pricing. Thanks for the luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Lunch: Hawaiian Time, Little Big Burger, Deschutes Brewery, Rogue Brewery, or just about any Food Cart.

Dinner: Oba!, Andina, Blue Olive, Smokehouse 21, Urban Fondue, Papa Haydn, Beau Thai, Caffe Mingo, Swagat, Bamboo Sushi, Dorio, Mio Shushi, Irving Street Kitchen, Paragon, Fratelli, Park Kitchen, Silk, Clyde Common, Eleni's Philoxenia, Sauce Box, Gilt Club, Little Bird, Portland City Grill (do happy hour,) Luc Luc, Red Star Tavern, Departure (top of the Nines Hotel,) and about a hundred other good choices.

Breweries: Deschutes, Rogue, Tug Boat, and in a pinch, any of the four McMenamins that are in that area or walking distance.
Oh I forgot about Deschutes! I've heard good things about them... they may be my decision for beer at least... haha. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
AC is not really that common or really that needed. We hit 100 temps approximately 3 times each summer, usually in August. It's is not uncommon to not have to pack up your winter clothes until after the 4th of July and drag them back out again in mid-October. I would recommend getting a window unit ASAP, as they do tend to sell out the second it hits 100.

I'm not sure why Mt. Hood is an issue. But if it is because it's a volcano, so is Mt. Tabor and that is in SE Portland. I was 6 when Mt. St. Helen's blew living in Eastern Washington and we were hit with enough ash they ended the school year two weeks early. If Mt. Hood blows, being this close it isn't going to matter what side of the river we live on.

As for beer/dinner, Henry's Tavern might suit what you are looking for.
See the idea of having temps at 100... even one day during the year... and no AC just makes me wince. That's not even considering that there will probably be an El Niño year soon that will cause temps to be higher than average for the year.

Mt. Tabor is an extinct volcano, whereas Mt. Hood is a dormant/overdue/"potentially active" volcano.

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-20-2013, 02:41 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post

Yeah the tunnel was a concern... but I was figuring that on 26 the commute would generally be a reverse commute with people heading out to Intel/Nike, etc. in the mornings and into Portland in the evenings.
Nope. Highway 26 is a cluster both directions during Rush hour. Especially around the tunnel. Even on weekends.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM

249 posts, read 443,546 times
Extremely classy of the OP to respond to everyone who dropped in their two cents.

Way ta be man, way ta be.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
Any freeway going IN to Portland in the morning is going to be crowded. Same in the evening. By outer SW or NW I meant places near the zoo or something like that. Edge of Portland and you can take 26 or surface streets to Portland. But even then, it's still rush hour, just not as far to drive.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:

See the idea of having temps at 100... even one day during the year... and no AC just makes me wince. That's not even considering that there will probably be an El Niño year soon that will cause temps to be higher than average for the year.
Can't say I blame you on that one. It's miserable in a 2nd story bedroom with no air flow from the windows and two dogs who insist upon being your blankets. On the flip side, winters are mild and we generally don't have snow, and when we do it tends to go away quickly. I do not tolerate heat at all and I'd much rather have a couple of days of 100 and no A/C than months of snow!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Any freeway going IN to Portland in the morning is going to be crowded. Same in the evening. By outer SW or NW I meant places near the zoo or something like that. Edge of Portland and you can take 26 or surface streets to Portland. But even then, it's still rush hour, just not as far to drive.
If you hit it early enough (around 6:15-6:30), I-5 N out of Tigard is actually pretty smooth in the morning, in my experience.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
As someone in the earth sciences professionally, I'm probably overreacting... but I am hoping to stay in Portland for a while, and it isn't easy to predict the future. As far as destructive potential... it really just depends on how Mt Hood erupts. It is overdue for an eruption, and it is likely to have an explosive eruption when it does go. If something happens to Hood like what happened to Mt St Helens... then Portland would be fine if Hood blows out the north or east sides. If Hood blows out its west side... then the east side of Portland is in trouble.
Frankly, I'm way more worried about the big earthquake that is overdue. I could deal with Mt. Hood blowing, ashes and all, but having an earthquake scares the bejabbers out of me.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Frankly, I'm way more worried about the big earthquake that is overdue. I could deal with Mt. Hood blowing, ashes and all, but having an earthquake scares the bejabbers out of me.
I am right with you there. Much more scary.

Regarding the AC, every year I swear I will get an air conditioner for my tiny apartment at least for the bedroom because there is no cross ventilation and it becomes like a microwave in my place. I am a cold weather person so I sympathize with the OP. But every year I tough it out.

Some of my previous apartments though it was not at all necessary to have one. It all depends upon where you wind up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland