Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM

249 posts, read 443,408 times

Advertisements

Such a belabored place it would seem, this...Portland.

The interesting thing about the city though is, despite all of the endless knocks and kicks and disparaging remarks about whether/homeless/high rent/people's attitudes, it still has a staunch and devout following.

Now I'm hoping against hope the snarkiness and sarcasm can be kept to a minimum in this thread, and some residents can truly step up, and personally vouge for their amazing quality of living in Portland.

I'm not being facetious or insinuating when I say "amazing" either, as I always see people simply rave about the place and say they would never live anywhere else.

Ok then, why? Put in on paper..er..screen for us all to see here.

And a final disclaimer, no, this is not me trolling or challenging or any of that silly shyte, so call off your dogs folks. I want to for once see just open, heartfelt personal experiences that let all the naysayers know why Portland is your own little slice of heaven.

C'mon people, let's see the goodness in Portlanders here and tell us why your city stands alone as tops!

Last edited by the12ronin; 06-20-2013 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: misspelled vouge as "vogue"....no Madonna impersonations needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:39 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,238 times
No place is a slice of heaven.

I am not from Portland, although I live here, but I will tell you what I think is nice about it: beautiful wildflowers, Columbia Gorge and mountains. Nice parks. Tasty, relatively cheap food at the food carts. Lots of things for kids to do. Terrific coffee. Mild weather.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 PM

478 posts, read 881,538 times
Because I can walk to the river on my lunch break, 2 minutes away, and see an otter family, or a swimming salmon, or a merganser- in the middle of the city!

Because there are so many great restaurants that we never get bored.

Because it's green.

Because I love cool weather.

Because of mountains and roses and Doug firs.

Because of mushrooms.

Because of fountains.

That's a start!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
No place is a slice of heaven.

Not a good start.

I would think the above-stated is implied by the figurativeness of the phrase.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:48 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,238 times
Just telling it like it is. I don't look at anything through rose-colored glasses.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisw View Post
Because I can walk to the river on my lunch break, 2 minutes away, and see an otter family, or a swimming salmon, or a merganser- in the middle of the city!

Because there are so many great restaurants that we never get bored.

Because it's green.

Because I love cool weather.

Because of mountains and roses and Doug firs.

Because of mushrooms.

Because of fountains.

That's a start!

Good recovery Portland!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
Lots of places to row and kayak on within 10 to 30 minute drive from my house:
-Willamette River
-Columbia River
-Tualatin River
-Vancouver Lake
-Multnomah Channel
-Yamhill River
-Sturgeon Lake
-Columbia Slough
-Smith Lake
etc.

but...
I wish I lived in Puget Sound (maybe one day...)

Old 06-21-2013, 03:27 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,281 times
I love it because it has a lot of great amenities for a city of this size and because it's a very short drive to the beach, to the mountains, and to lots of other cool (nature-type) stuff. Also I love the weather here most of the year (except for the last 2-3 months of the rainy season when it gets old) and the greenery is great.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:26 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
Everything outside of Portland is like a sub par Puget Sound with less people. Face it folks, Oregon can't hold a candle to the San Juans or the North Cascades or the OP.. But it isn't Puget Sound. That is why I love it. It's 70% as nice as Puget Sound without all the Seattleness. Only former Seattle residents know what I'm talking about. The city itself and it's eccentric residents, that is to say the transplants and the businesses and ideals they brought with them , I could take or leave. Overall the city is "better" now days, but you can only make so much off an economy of liberal art majors selling coffee, beer, and nick nacks to other liberal art majors and other low wage service people.

I only love Portland because it is my home and always will be. Switzerland wasn't willing to let me become a citizen. Austria, oddly enough didn't want my family either. Germany told me I wasn't Turkish enough. So I guess, I'll stay here forever.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
I can't state why I love Portland in a simple sentence. Or even a paragraph.

But I can state that traveling for work continually reaffirms my love of Portland. I have found places that have elements of Portland, places that are the polar opposite of Portland, places that wish they could be Portland, and of course places that don't care about Portland. Based on the simple fact that only the Universal Fates know my future career path, I have approached all these cities with a critical eye thinking "could I live here?" and "Would I be happy." The answers are invariably "for about six months," and "maybe" after perusing guide books, local tourist books, talking with locals, reading C-D Forums about specific cities, and doing what I can do to experience "the best" these cities have to offer.

Despite it's faults, and let's admit there are plenty, I am always giddy watching Portland race by below the airplane. I enjoy mentally calling out streets and landmarks like lost friends as we descend through clouds and fog. And there is always a sense of relief, of being home. Not because I miss family, or have a desk full of things to do, but because I miss Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland