Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:01 PM

58 posts, read 230,735 times

Advertisements

I've visited Portland about 6 times now. While staying in Portland, I ran into a lot of people that moved from Minneapolis. I was wondering what is the reason besides weather? Are there any regrets? Please share your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 AM

7 posts, read 17,353 times
My wife and I moved from Mpls to PDX earlier this year, and although I really don't miss the snow, the weather didn't even factor into our reasons for moving.
We knew it rained quite a bit here, and I guess we figured we could handle that, since we grew up with snow in the Midwest - it's just a different kind of inclement weather, really.

Comparatively, Portland has Mpls beat in terms of public transit, a greater public awareness of bicycles as traffic, a more efficient public transit system, a more dedicated eco-consciousness that didn't stem from some trendy "green" marketing concept, urban growth boundaries.....

Okay, I do realize this isn't utopia, but based on my own observations, I feel that more of an effort is generally being made here in Portland, to address basic concerns in everyday lives, than what we were experiencing back in Mpls.

I've read a number of posts on different threads in this forum, regarding what one posterr described as "liberal tyranny" here in Portland. That may be, but it seems more genuine to me at least, than what some of us called the "fake liberal" attitudes that were prevalent in the Midwest.

I'm really not trying to slam Mpls, or glorify Portland, for that matter, so I do hope my commments dont offend anyone - it's just the way I feel about the difference between the two cities.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 8,462 times
that was awesome. couldnt agree with the previous post more

Old 02-28-2010, 03:56 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicarchives View Post
My wife and I moved from Mpls to PDX earlier this year, and although I really don't miss the snow, the weather didn't even factor into our reasons for moving.
We knew it rained quite a bit here, and I guess we figured we could handle that, since we grew up with snow in the Midwest - it's just a different kind of inclement weather, really.

Comparatively, Portland has Mpls beat in terms of public transit, a greater public awareness of bicycles as traffic, a more efficient public transit system, a more dedicated eco-consciousness that didn't stem from some trendy "green" marketing concept, urban growth boundaries.....

Okay, I do realize this isn't utopia, but based on my own observations, I feel that more of an effort is generally being made here in Portland, to address basic concerns in everyday lives, than what we were experiencing back in Mpls.

I've read a number of posts on different threads in this forum, regarding what one posterr described as "liberal tyranny" here in Portland. That may be, but it seems more genuine to me at least, than what some of us called the "fake liberal" attitudes that were prevalent in the Midwest.

I'm really not trying to slam Mpls, or glorify Portland, for that matter, so I do hope my commments dont offend anyone - it's just the way I feel about the difference between the two cities.
Really?? I think everyone here is a bunch of phonies... Sham liberals, mostly from other parts of the country drawn to this trendy greenwashed lifestyle that Portland can offer them. That's what it seems like to me anyway. Living in Portland and realizing that we're so much more eco-conscious is not reassuring at all. Behind the green dream we're such a typical consumptive American city that likes to hype and market our town as if it were an ecological oasis of harmony among man and nature within a world of smog and plastic bags.

But back on topic... I see a lot of Minnesota license plates around. I also hear there are a lot of people moving in between Twin Cities, Seattle, and Portland, generally, as they all seem to offer a more similar vibe to one another than they do to other American cities.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,836,020 times
I visit Phoenix every spring break. You see a lot of plates from other states (snow birds). But I noticed of all the out of states, Minnesota was the most common. It's a game I play with my daughter to find the most different state plates so we looked a lot.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Bottom line: my grandfather immigrated from Norway to Minneapolis... and kept on moving. He first settled in suburban Seattle, then moved to the Willamette Valley.

They are both fine cities but if an immigrant from Telemark kept going....

Culturally they have much in common, but weather wise there is a huge difference. The key factor is employment opportunities. If it is easier for you to find a job in Minneapolis than Portland choose Minneapolis. If they are equal I would choose Portland.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 23,690 times
This is a great thread, as I'm currently in Minneapolis and have been planning a move out to the PNW for a while now. With the milder winters and access to much grander natural settings (Mountains?? what are those!?), it was a pretty natural fit for me. I imagine it's so attractive for us Minnesotans because, well, we're used to terrible winters, so some gloomy, wet days aren't as intimidating as they would be to someone from warm, sunny locale. Basically, I get to upgrade my winters, stay in a similarly sized city, don't have to hear about the Vikings all the time, get to drink better beer AND get a mountain to ski on? Sign me up!

I do have a question for any former Minnesotans: how do you feel about the drizzly, gray winters versus the ones back in the Twin Cities?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,586 times
I live in Oregon. The thing I notice about Portland, and hate the most, is the voters in that area are very liberal and control the whole state. Back in the forties there was a movement underway to make a new state named the State of Jefferson. Our involvement in the war put an end to the movement, whose purpose was to make a new state from the Northern part of California and the Southern part of Oregon. What a great idea, wish someone would start that movement today. I've lived here over 70 years and I'm beginning to feel ashamed of the fact that I'm an Oregonian.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:28 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XandV View Post
This is a great thread, as I'm currently in Minneapolis and have been planning a move out to the PNW for a while now. With the milder winters and access to much grander natural settings (Mountains?? what are those!?), it was a pretty natural fit for me. I imagine it's so attractive for us Minnesotans because, well, we're used to terrible winters, so some gloomy, wet days aren't as intimidating as they would be to someone from warm, sunny locale. Basically, I get to upgrade my winters, stay in a similarly sized city, don't have to hear about the Vikings all the time, get to drink better beer AND get a mountain to ski on? Sign me up!

I do have a question for any former Minnesotans: how do you feel about the drizzly, gray winters versus the ones back in the Twin Cities?
Not a Minnesotan, but move out here and the chatter about the Seahawks, Mariners, the Ducks or the Dogs is pervasive in the NW west of the Cascades. In both states sometimes it seems that the east side of the Cascades is another world.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:01 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Not a Minnesotan, but move out here and the chatter about the Seahawks, Mariners, the Ducks or the Dogs is pervasive in the NW west of the Cascades. In both states sometimes it seems that the east side of the Cascades is another world.
Trust me, the Vikings talk IS more pervasive than what we get with our teams out here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland