Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:50 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,947,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Opening windows and some fans to create a cross breeze at night helps with this. That almost always cools off the places I have lived in.
The nights where it's still 75F at 3 AM this doesn't help much I find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Opening windows and some fans to create a cross breeze at night helps with this. That almost always cools off the places I have lived in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
A cross breeze is great in theory, but your house needs to be facing the correct direction to catch the wind and the interior layout needs to be situated in a way that the cross breeze actually moves thru the house. Many houses and most apartments aren't or can't be set up for this and as such don't benefit much from a cross breeze.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
A cross breeze is great in theory, but your house needs to be facing the correct direction to catch the wind and the interior layout needs to be situated in a way that the cross breeze actually moves thru the house. Many houses and most apartments aren't or can't be set up for this and as such don't benefit much from a cross breeze.
Guess I have been lucky because I haven't ever had an issue with that, especially with the help of properly placed fans.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:47 PM

892 posts, read 1,588,758 times
Quote:
When was the last time that the nightly low was 75F? I looked at June, July and August of last year and the hottest low was 69F for one day and then there were a bunch of 63 - 65. You must have lived in some weird heat island, no wonder you hated living in Portland.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
When was the last time that the nightly low was 75F? I looked at June, July and August of last year and the hottest low was 69F for one day and then there were a bunch of 63 - 65. You must have lived in some weird heat island, no wonder you hated living in Portland.
He also lived in a 3 hour commute to PCC Sylvania....so I am beginning to wonder where exactly he lived because it doesn't sound like Portland....

Old 05-28-2015, 10:42 AM

609 posts, read 805,580 times
Quote:
He might have been talking about inside his apartment?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:30 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,523,333 times
82 degrees in the house when I got home. A/C is blasting.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
82 degrees in the house when I got home. A/C is blasting.
Good that it will be dropping down into the 50's tonight, we will definitely have our windows open.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 PM

616 posts, read 642,720 times
I have 2 A/Cs that run on less power than a typical 60 watt light bulb

Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,609,998 times
I guess I cannot understand this idea, I mean I've never lived anywhere that wasn't centrally controlled and the idea of just kind of letting the temperature be whatever it is seems cave-man like to me. The whole point of modern age living is the ability to carefully regulate your interior conditions, whether that's sunlight (complete darkness while sleeping, blackout shades, etc.), temperature control, etc.

In our high rise condo you couldn't live without AC and we literally couldn't. The unit broke in our first few weeks here and it's such a rare model it took 9 months to replace! We went through repeated attempts to fix it, which it never got fixed, and finally they agreed to about a $12,000 replacement. We spent months driving to and from my dad's house every night because you couldn't sleep in here. Even when it was March or October, no chance.

We run AC every single day of the year, but it's more accurate to say that the temperature is simply controlled to be at whatever it should be at, whether that's 65 for sleeping or 70 during the day. Literally if it's 45 degrees out or above, you need AC in our place. It will rise to 73 degrees without it. It's miserable during the summer and will hit 76 if you aren't running AC.

A steel and concrete high rise retains all heat and as a result it's also cheap to maintain. We spend about $90 per month on electrical for a 1,700 square foot place and I work from home running a lot of electronics. It's also why in 5 years plus of living in downtown condos, I have only ever once killed a spider and it was because a friend left my patio door open for a few minutes. Besides that, there is nothing getting in and out including air loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland