Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

I always feel bad for the first responders, the fire fighters and the police who go on TV every year begging people not to buy dangerous illegal fireworks. Also the ERs are full of the numbskulls who injure themselves with their explosives so the poor medical staff has to do double duty.

But I have little sympathy for those who cause themselves or their property damage. When the damage is done to other people's property or hurts others, that's really a crime. That's why I don't understand why my friend last year didn't want to say something to her neighbor about his stupid rocket fall out falling in her yard. Those things came down with some still hot.

Poor kitty is still under the bed but she will decide when it's safe to come out. She stayed with me as long as she could be then she just had to get to her safe place when it all got too much for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:06 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,238 times
A friend said there were four firetrucks on Sellwood and a bunch of burning wood. I guess people will never learn.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
There are a couple million dollars worth of fires every 4th of July, caused by fireworks.

It would be fine with me if they banned the sale of them completely.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:52 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are a couple million dollars worth of fires every 4th of July, caused by fireworks.

It would be fine with me if they banned the sale of them completely.
Me too. I heard a loud firecracker go off about an hour ago that sounded close by. Then a loud scream. I don't know what that meant but all has been quiet since. My poor kitty just now came out of hiding and she is rubbing my ankles like crazy a thing she never does. She wants me to get off this computer and pay attention to her. Now I KNOW she was upset. She is not letting me out of her sight. Usually she just sort of acknowledges my presence in her catly sort of way.

I feel so bad for cats and dogs, they don't understand what's happening and the noise hurts their ears.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Glad you guys are all about freedom and independence. Nothing like stories of citizen "whiners" calling cops on neighbors.

In the grand scheme of life, fireworks can be a lot of fun. Yes - mishandled, they can cause injury and damage just like so many other things.

The fact that dumbed down, do-gooders in Salem made them illegal in OR; doesn't make them bad.

Further think about what you saying when you make ridiculous comments about "banning" things.

What a bland world it would be if gov't "made you safe" from everything.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:47 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
I didn't call the cops, but I was tempted to. After the grand finale somewhere between 11:30 and midnight, the neighbors continued to blow up loud fireworks until about 1 am. Whatever they were blowing up sounded like 180s. If they were having a loud party, I would expect it to be quieted down by then. Why are fireworks different?

Plus, I expect to be kept awake until 1 am by fireworks throughout the weekend but at least I don't have to go to work in the morning.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
"citizen whiners"... no, read the Oregon law regarding ILLEGAL fireworks. I have the right to protect my property. It is not my neighbor's right to endanger my safety and my property. Calling people names on a forum is so brave. It is braver to call the cops and protect yourself. That is why we pay the police with our taxes. You don't want laws then that's another story. I am absolutely no whiner.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM

192 posts, read 454,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
In the grand scheme of life, fireworks can be a lot of fun. Yes - mishandled, they can cause injury and damage just like so many other things.
Even in the absence of injury or damage, using illegal fireworks can still have a negative effect on others. It is terrifying to many pets, including one of my dogs. He has to endure hours of terror in his own home because my neighbors feel justified in breaking the law, often well past midnight, for several nights in a row. I am just one of many, especially in our area where the community has adopted so many shelter dogs. While you are setting off illegal fireworks, your neighbors are stuck at home, unable to join their community in marking this historic day, in order to ensure their pet doesn't bust through a window and get lost or otherwise injure themselves. Sounds fun, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Glad you guys are all about freedom and independence.
Perhaps you should consider how those who enabled your freedoms feel about this illegal and inconsiderate activity. Veterans suffering from PTSD can have a very hard time at this time of year. What an incredible insult to cause more grief and anxiety to these people for the sake of entertainment.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:41 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,238 times
Looks like they caused a huge house fire last night in Sellwood:

Illegal fireworks to blame for Sellwood house fire - KPTV - FOX 12

Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
"citizen whiners"... no, read the Oregon law regarding ILLEGAL fireworks. I have the right to protect my property. It is not my neighbor's right to endanger my safety and my property. Calling people names on a forum is so brave. It is braver to call the cops and protect yourself. That is why we pay the police with our taxes. You don't want laws then that's another story. I am absolutely no whiner.
Did your house burn down??
If not, no harm - no foul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland