Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times

Advertisements

There was one Murder in Dallas, Oregon in 2011 (no numbers for 2012 that I can find, yes, it's likely it was 0) with a population of roughly 14,500 people.

24 in all of Portland, with a population of just under 600,000. Thus, statistically, Dallas is more dangerous then Portland.

Either way, we're still VERY short of a daily murder in the Portland area. Perhaps if we include all Portland suburbs, including Salem and Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
So do you count gang shootings which are the primary cause of innocent bystander and child chootings as something other than a shooting? You are far more in danger as a common citizen from a gang bullet, (Which by-the-way is all too common in that part of town) than a deranged mall shooter or unhappy domestic.
That is a vague comment, I wouldn't mind seeing statistics to back up the claims you are making about all of North and Northeast Portland. Or are you referring to a specific part of town?

I am pretty sure I was counting all shootings minus suicide.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
I've read through everything you've posted and every link you have provided and the supposed math you use to come to your conclusions and I still don't see ANY real support of your position other than you feel that YOU are right and everybody else is wrong and that we all have to come up with tons of evidence to contradict you when YOU are the one that put the supposition forth and didn't do any real job of supporting it.

Debate 101.

Rule #1: Prove your argument.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Rule number two, prove me wrong. and for those talking about murder, the subject was shootings. Guns fired. At people, and at buildings, cars, trucks, police, gang members, park playground equipment, etc. Discharging a firearm within the city.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Rule number two, prove me wrong. and for those talking about murder, the subject was shootings. Guns fired. At people, and at buildings, cars, trucks, police, gang members, park playground equipment, etc. Discharging a firearm within the city.
Do you mind providing a link of where you get your data from? The easiest way to make sure everyone is on the same debate topic is to make sure that info is easy to find.

You said shootings are average daily and majority happen in all of North and Northeast Portland, are you able to back up your own claim with real data?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Oh, Steve doesn't have to prove it. He just knows it. He can sense it. All the way from Dallas.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Oh, Steve doesn't have to prove it. He just knows it. He can sense it. All the way from Dallas.

Five daily Newspapers, and only Broadcast News from Portland. Keep it local and you learn a lot.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Five daily Newspapers, and only Broadcast News from Portland. Keep it local and you learn a lot.
Still waiting for that link that you get your data from that says there is a shooting a day on average in Portland and that most of them happen in North and Northeast Portland, that would be roughly 365 shootings a year and would be concentrated in two out of the five parts of the city.

I am very interested in where that information comes from, especially seeing you have once run for office, so I am sure you understand the importance of fact checking.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Still waiting for that link that you get your data from that says there is a shooting a day on average in Portland and that most of them happen in North and Northeast Portland, that would be roughly 365 shootings a year and would be concentrated in two out of the five parts of the city.

I am very interested in where that information comes from, especially seeing you have once run for office, so I am sure you understand the importance of fact checking.

Your town averaged 2 shootings per day with 38% in your neighborhood. In 2011 there were 42 shootings in one day ... Labor Day Weekend Marked By 42 Shootings In New York City « CBS New York

Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Your town averaged 2 shootings per day with 38% in your neighborhood. In 2011 there were 42 shootings in one day ... Labor Day Weekend Marked By 42 Shootings In New York City « CBS New York
I meant in Portland, I wanted to see where you got your information that there is a shooting a day in Portland and the majority of them happen in 2 of the 5 parts of the city. It isn't a hard request for you is it? I am just curious where your information comes from for you to make a statement like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland