Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times

Advertisements

Same place I got the info on where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 04:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Same place I got the info on where you live.
From CBS? I am beginning to doubt you have actual real data that backs up your claim. I thought you did originally, thus is why I asked for a link to where your information comes from, but now I am starting to think you are just making wild claims with no way to actually back up your own claims.

I will ask one more time, could you please supply a link that shows there are a shooting daily on average in Portland and that most of those shootings happen in North and Northeast Portland.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Multiple sources and a running log I keep from News reports on three Portland OTAB's

Old 07-19-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Multiple sources and a running log I keep from News reports on three Portland OTAB's
Can you show your work? I am curious how you are able to make the claim that their is a shooting a day on average in Portland and that most of the shootings happen in North and Northeast Portland, until you can provide that information, I am gonna have to call BS on your claim. Sorry if that offends you, but I have asked repeatedly and you have done nothing but beat around the bush rather than offering up that information.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Prove me wrong then.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:24 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
You haven't proved he is wrong, but you also haven't proved you are right.
He hasn't proved that he is right, but he also hasn't proved you are wrong.

So, you and he are both right and wrong at the same time.
But that can't be.

Neither of you will know who's right or wrong until the box is opened.

Then we will find out if this argument is alive or dead.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Prove me wrong then.
You prove me wrong, I call BS on your claims. Also, if that is how you campaigned, then I can only assume you lost that election badly.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
You haven't proved he is wrong, but you also haven't proved you are right.
He hasn't proved that he is right, but he also hasn't proved you are wrong.

So, you and he are both right and wrong at the same time.
But that can't be.

Neither of you will know who's right or wrong until the box is opened.

Then we will find out if this argument is alive or dead.

Haha, I just reread this, thanks for the laugh, I always enjoy a good dead cat metaphor.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
While the number of Portland gang-related shootings increased in 2012 to 118, gang-related homicides dropped from eight in 2011 to four last year. Police say one victim was targeted because he testified in a trial against another suspected gang member.

Portland gang enforcement Sgt. Don Livingston and Portland police Assistant Chief Eric Hendricks, who oversees criminal investigations, said they suspect fewer people died from gang shootings last year partly because there were fewer close-range shootings.
Portland-area killings in 2012: Domestic violence persists as a leading factor | OregonLive.com

118 shootings in 2012 doesn't add up to a shooting a day to me, does it add up to 365 shootings a year to you?

Again, Steve, I would love to see your info, until then I have just proven it was nothing but BS.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:57 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Haha, I just reread this, thanks for the laugh, I always enjoy a good dead cat metaphor.
Thank you.

But at this point the we don't know if the cat is dead or not.

But we certainly know in which direction somebody's credibility is going.

I have also been looking for the data on shootings in Portland.
It seems to be very tough to find.
Any shooting, stabbing, clubbing, spitting on, or whatever always sees to be lumped into the "assualts" category.
I haven't been able to find any data for just plain old "shootings," that includes non gang, gang, fatal, non-fatal, etc.
If it's a shooting statistic, it always seems to be attached to either gang or fatal.
Even "gun crimes" isn't a narrow enough category to find out about how many total fatal and non-fatal shootings there were in 2012.
You would think this would be very easy to find with the current outcry on gun control.

I do know that there were 29 homocides in the City of Portland in 2012, and not all of them had guns in the picture, only 13 did.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i..._during_2.html <<< LOOK, A CITE!

So, that must mean that there were 352 (citywide) non-fatal shootings in 2012 (for a total of one a day according to Pickering).
Nobody can find the data for this, except......
That means 234 shootings alone were in just the North neighborhoods (2/3rds of them happen in N.Portland according to Pickering).
Nobody can find the data for this either, except.....

I don't think so.
(PS: gang related shootings did not happen ONLY in north and northeast.)

I too am curious where Pickering gets his data.
Stuff he scrawls in a notebook while watching tv doesn't count as hard, fast, cite-able data. To me anyways.

Come on Steve, why the obstinance on proving your statistics?
Either you made them up, or you got them from somewhere.
If you got them from somewhere, lets see your source!

You know how this is making you look?
Full of beans.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 07-19-2013 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland