Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times

Advertisements

Heads up to all of you on this thread - jimg1126 is a troll who posts on the various Oregon/Portland threads with the expressed purpose of fomenting trouble. He doesn't have a single good thing to say about any subject or aspect of life in the entire state. Ignore him - if we respond to him, it will cause the moderator to close the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
I'm starting to wonder if he's one of those people who exaggerates every bad thing in an effort to keep people from moving into a place he really loves.

Every single place has both good things and bad things. Even places where I've lived before and couldn't wait to leave, and never regretted leaving, had some really good things about it.

Every place where people live has pollution problems. Some are worse than others. When I was a kid, you could find pure water directly from mountain streams but you are a fool if you drink directly from them now. The population is also a third higher than when I was a kid. It is just the way the it is.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:25 AM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
Younger, single, and love outdoors, arts, music? PDX is a great place. Ignore the long ranting post put up earlier (we won't mention names). Papaccino's in SW and SE are great coffee shops. Too many more to mention. Powells is a fantastic bookstore. Bike paths and public transit are both great and relatively safe (even for a single woman).

Negatives: traffic is getting horrible, home prices way too high, it IS grayer and wetter in the fall/winter than many are willing to admit. Skiing is mediocre unless you roadtrip to Mt Batchelor.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:48 PM

64 posts, read 360,749 times
jimg1126 is what, in internet lingo, we call a Troll.

If you are new to the internets, I suggest you follow the wikipedia link above. Some people just like to incite contrarian arguments for fun.

Weather got you down? May I suggest the $10-20 night ski lift tickets at Meadows or Ski Bowl - good place to head after a long day of work on a Friday! (only 45 minute drive to the east).

Old 11-14-2007, 01:09 PM

32 posts, read 35,785 times
papacinnos? not good.

Papaccino's - Southeast Portland - Portland, OR 97206 | Yelp

Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 PM

32 posts, read 35,785 times
45 minutes to Mt. Hood Meadows on a Friday night after work? You're dreaming. It will take you 45 minutes just to get on I-84 from downtown on a Friday rush hour. Try 2+ hours in stop and go traffic for at least half of the way.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
To each his/her own. I spend a fair amount of time at the Papaccino's in SW (Terwilliger and Taylor's Ferry) and thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere and very friendly staff.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:50 PM

64 posts, read 360,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazen View Post
45 minutes to Mt. Hood Meadows on a Friday night after work? You're dreaming. It will take you 45 minutes just to get on I-84 from downtown on a Friday rush hour. Try 2+ hours in stop and go traffic for at least half of the way.
Well... you're supposed to take off an hour early, y'know? And it is dooable... did it all last year during the late winter. Got up on the mountain around 5pm, skii'd until 10pm.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 PM

8 posts, read 28,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill5952 View Post
I am in the exact same position as you. I am a 25yr old female and I just posted a "thread" very similar to yours (username-chill5952) I am really serious about moving to Portland as well. It will be longer before I can actually move though. I am locked into a lease here in South Carolina until April. Plus I am saving money. This internet site is new to me (The internet chat isn't really my thing) I figured this is a great way to learn about a place that I know little about. Also it would be great to hear your thoughts on moving to Portland(and the thoughts of those who actually live there) Also, where will you be moving from? And will you be moving with someone else? I ask because I will be moving across the country alone (and I know no one in Portland) I am just very drawn to the city and it seems like I place I would love. I think it would also be a great experience to just up and move by myself. There are more details about my expectations in the thread that I posted. Good luck to you!

[+] Rate this post positively

I read your thread - we're in pretty similar situations. I, too, am coming out here by myself. I have a friend that lives out there, but we've lost touch a bit. I'll be coming from FL, so it'll be a cross-country move as well. I'm a little nervous, but I think it'll be a great experience. It might be the only time I'll be able to something like this (husband, kids, etc one day) so i want to just do it and not worry too much. From everything I've heard and read, Portland seems like it'll be a great fit for me. I've never been, so if I go there and hate it, I'll always have the option to move. I want to see for myself, though. I'm originally from MA, so cold, humid weather doesn't deter me.

Whatever the subject - a person, place, food, car, eye color, music genre, flower, tv show - you name it, people are going to love it or hate it, be somewhere in between, or completely indifferent. The only way to know for sure what you'd think is to experience it yourself and form your own opinion. I've researched lots of cities, and I'm telling you, every single one has its pros and cons and MANY differing opinions; I haven't found anywhere yet that has a 100% unanimous positive rating. Heck, if I made a decision based soley on people's opinions, I wouldn't move... and I wouldn't be able to stay in my current city (Orlando) either!! Good luck to you, also! Maybe I'll run into you in PDX one day, and we can wax poetic about how much we love (or hate) our city.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 28,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
I think both of you girls will do just fine...... Portland has much to offer for those who enjoy life!
Tiffany
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland