Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It's ok for you to have that opinion, and I am not going to argue with you if you feel that way. But if you start saying more disputable, objective things like "Richmond has the same economic significance as Spokane," I'm going to defend the hometown.
It's a small city, and nothing more. Nor is it a hip city. It is lucky to have any Fortune 500 companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It's a small city, and nothing more. Nor is it a hip city. It is lucky to have any Fortune 500 companies.
I'm totally fine with it not being a hip city.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I'm totally fine with it not being a hip city.
Which is why it doesn't compare to Portland, anyone looking for a Portland like lifestyle isn't going to find that in Richmond. I know that first hand and have had friends in Portland that moved to Richmond and couldn't wait to get out of that city once they realized it couldn't compare to Portland.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Richmond is home to Five Fortune 500 companies IN the city limits. Portland has 1. Richmond is also home to a federal reserve bank. It's laughable you think this way.
Actually, according to this listing (from CNN Money), there are only two within the city limits. The others are all "Richmond area."

As for Federal Reserve Banks ... typical east coast political b.s. The entire WEST is one district. There are 8 in the eastern third of the nation, and four in the remaining two-thirds. I don't know the history of why they were placed where they were, but it could well have some of the same origins of county sizes. When counties were formed, they were made so that someone could travel from the outer reaches to the county seat in a day. As transportation improved (and as the population moved west) counties became larger. Because the travel distance was longer. Perhaps they chose cities for Federal Reserve Banks in somewhat the same way. Because there's just no logical reason on earth for so many to be in the east and so few in the west. The government, being what it is, certainly isn't going to remove any of them (in much the same way as all those tiny counties in the east don't merge). And you can't claim that it's a business, or population, or even an importance issue. Otherwise, why isn't there one in Los Angeles?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Which is why it doesn't compare to Portland, anyone looking for a Portland like lifestyle isn't going to find that in Richmond. I know that first hand and have had friends in Portland that moved to Richmond and couldn't wait to get out of that city once they realized it couldn't compare to Portland.
Nice anecdotal evidence.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Actually, according to this listing (from CNN Money), there are only two within the city limits. The others are all "Richmond area."

As for Federal Reserve Banks ... typical east coast political b.s. The entire WEST is one district. There are 8 in the eastern third of the nation, and four in the remaining two-thirds. I don't know the history of why they were placed where they were, but it could well have some of the same origins of county sizes. When counties were formed, they were made so that someone could travel from the outer reaches to the county seat in a day. As transportation improved (and as the population moved west) counties became larger. Because the travel distance was longer. Perhaps they chose cities for Federal Reserve Banks in somewhat the same way. Because there's just no logical reason on earth for so many to be in the east and so few in the west. The government, being what it is, certainly isn't going to remove any of them (in much the same way as all those tiny counties in the east don't merge). And you can't claim that it's a business, or population, or even an importance issue. Otherwise, why isn't there one in Los Angeles?
Maybe there's east coast bias because, I don't know, there's more people and more economic activity. Oregon's economy subsists on mom and pop stores, an athletic clothing retailer, and food stamps. Washington has Seattle, and yes, that does pack a punch. And California is a juggernaut, and has a branch in San Francisco as it should. Am I missing something?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Nice anecdotal evidence.
Well it is a fact about first hand perspectives, I am sure there are lots of people that like Richmond, obviously you are one of them, but the title asks if Richmond is another hipster oriented city, and the answer is NO.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Maybe there's east coast bias because, I don't know, there's more people and more economic activity. Oregon's economy subsists on mom and pop stores, an athletic clothing retailer, and food stamps. Washington has Seattle, and yes, that does pack a punch. And California is a juggernaut, and has a branch in San Francisco as it should. Am I missing something?
Why doesn't LA have one is the question. There should be more than just the one in San Francisco.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Why doesn't LA have one is the question. There should be more than just the one in San Francisco.
I don't know. I'm not on the board of the federal reserve and wasn't responsible for the locations of the branches. I can tell you that, despite being a smaller city, San Francisco is a far more significant financial center than LA.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I don't know. I'm not on the board of the federal reserve and wasn't responsible for the locations of the branches. I can tell you that, despite being a smaller city, San Francisco is a far more significant financial center than LA.
Basically there is no longer a need to have as many Federal Reserves, but the government has no interest in closing down the redundant and useless ones that exist on the East Coast which is the only reason why Richmond even has one in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland