Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 12:35 PM

333 posts, read 328,330 times

Advertisements

We somewhat recently moved back to Portland after spending a couple of years in Charlottesville Virginia, which is an hour from Richmond. My SO is born and raised in Portland. She actually really liked Richmond. I really like Richmond too. It is, in some ways, more hip than Portland these days as Portland has become unaffordable to all but high-earners. It has more rough areas than Portland, but it's no Baltimore and with a dash of street smarts you'll be fine. Most of the really rough areas and the safer areas are separated by significant natural boundaries (such as the river or really big hills.) Downtown Richmond kind of sucks while Downtown Portland has much more life to it. The traffic in Richmond is basically non-existent and drivers generally have an easy go of it there (the city has an almost incredible amount of freeways for it's size.) Personally I like the climate in VA better than Western Oregon, but that's a matter of opinion.

I have read many negative replies on this thread, and I don't get it, but some people are just sippin the haterade and can't help themselves. Others are colored by their own experiences. Maybe they are nervous around black people (if that is you then definitely do not go to Richmond.) I think it's probably not for everyone but it's inarguably up and coming and if you have a positive attitude and choose your neighborhood well you can have a great, and even somewhat Portland circa 2001 experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 07:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
We somewhat recently moved back to Portland after spending a couple of years in Charlottesville Virginia, which is an hour from Richmond. My SO is born and raised in Portland. She actually really liked Richmond. I really like Richmond too. It is, in some ways, more hip than Portland these days as Portland has become unaffordable to all but high-earners. It has more rough areas than Portland, but it's no Baltimore and with a dash of street smarts you'll be fine. Most of the really rough areas and the safer areas are separated by significant natural boundaries (such as the river or really big hills.) Downtown Richmond kind of sucks while Downtown Portland has much more life to it. The traffic in Richmond is basically non-existent and drivers generally have an easy go of it there (the city has an almost incredible amount of freeways for it's size.) Personally I like the climate in VA better than Western Oregon, but that's a matter of opinion.

I have read many negative replies on this thread, and I don't get it, but some people are just sippin the haterade and can't help themselves. Others are colored by their own experiences. Maybe they are nervous around black people (if that is you then definitely do not go to Richmond.) I think it's probably not for everyone but it's inarguably up and coming and if you have a positive attitude and choose your neighborhood well you can have a great, and even somewhat Portland circa 2001 experience there.
Richmond is a better place to make a living than Portland, that's for sure.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:20 PM

616 posts, read 644,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Richmond is a better place to make a living than Portland, that's for sure.
depends on the field and ones experience

Old 12-25-2015, 12:22 PM

616 posts, read 644,806 times
Honestly I dont see how anybody can compare the 2 places they are so very different

Old 12-25-2015, 12:45 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
Either city should be proud to be compared to the other.
To the person possibly moving here, relax. You're gonna like it (even if you don't love it). There's great food, great art/music and tons of natural beauty in Richmond.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
depends on the field and ones experience
Not really. Housing prices in Richmond are just much lower than Portland's, and that has nothing to do with field or experience.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Not really. Housing prices in Richmond are just much lower than Portland's, and that has nothing to do with field or experience.
Demand isn't that high in Richmond compared to Portland. The NY Times isn't writing articles about how great Richmond is.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:49 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Demand isn't that high in Richmond compared to Portland. The NY Times isn't writing articles about how great Richmond is.

Why is the NY Times the end-all-be-all expert of the greatness of a city?

Who cares what they think?

Old 12-28-2015, 03:40 PM

333 posts, read 328,330 times
Quote:
And that is precisely why we're having this conversation. Can you get Portland like amenities and/or culture without the high prices? If the NY Times is writing articles and there are TV shows about how wacky your city is, then its already to late to get in on the ground floor. While the two cities are obviously very different in many ways, I do believe that you can find many of the same things people look for in Portland over in Richmond. And I know for a fact that you can get a decent job there easier than you can here.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Demand isn't that high in Richmond compared to Portland.
Right. That's definitely the main cause of lower housing prices.

Quote:
The NY Times isn't writing articles about how great Richmond is.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/tr...ours.html?_r=0

Frommer's' Top Destinations for 2014

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland