Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 02:03 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times

Advertisements

We use 100% Florescent or Compact Florescent. When the water heater and dryer are off, our metter deesn't even move enough to count. As a Ham Radio Opperator I have equipment to measure the actuall use. With all 34 CFL and Florescent lights turned on we only use 4 amps max and less than 500 watts. We have gas heat so even when the heater is on we only use 16 amps or 1900 watts. And that is all lights inside and outside plus heating. We pay 11 cents per KWh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If you were interested, your landlord could show you. It would be a good idea to know where your circuit breakers were too in case you accidentally blew one.
Probably a smart thing to do. I think I'll go ask them when I get the mail. I know where the circuit breakers are inside. Are there others outside, for all the units?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Probably a smart thing to do. I think I'll go ask them when I get the mail. I know where the circuit breakers are inside. Are there others outside, for all the units?
Maybe. Probably depends on the building. Mine are outside for my apartment and those on my side of the building but the ones for the tenants in the back of the building and all our hot water heaters are in the basement.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
If you are indeed a Portland General Electric customer, just go to their website, sign in and see if the energy use option is available to you.

At the very least, you will be signed up to pay your bills online if you want to go that route.
Plus there is some useful information on there that may help you out in some way.

It would be interesting to find out which meter is yours, but other than that, all you will see back there is a bunch of electric meters.
A smart meter will not have an old school spinning dial by the way.
They are all digital.
Mine looks just like this:

By the way, don't believe all the scary woo-woo hoo-haw that is being spouted about these meters on shows like Coast to Coast AM. (Art Bell)

Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
When we moved to Oregon in 2009, electricity was $0.08/kwh. In NYC where we left it was $0.27/kwh with a change to $0.30/kwh due to take effect in 30 days. Frankly I am astonished that someone finds Portland's utility rates 'high'. In NYC nothing was electric except the lights and a monthly bill of ~$38 was par for the course. In Oregon everything is electric, including the stove and dryer and only in the dead of winter does the bill go much over $38.

We don't have a lot of money so being conservative with electricity makes good financial sense as well as being good for the planet. Whatever the rates are and whatever you think they should be, they will always be cheaper at night than during the day, so: do your laundry and dry it overnight. Run the dishwasher overnight. It adds up. In winter, heat only the rooms you use. At night turn the heat completely off. We let our house go to 55*. Double comforers and an electric mattress warmer for the bed. Our dead of winter bills used to top $200. Now they are in the $120's.

H

Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
When we moved to Oregon in 2009, electricity was $0.08/kwh. In NYC where we left it was $0.27/kwh with a change to $0.30/kwh due to take effect in 30 days. Frankly I am astonished that someone finds Portland's utility rates 'high'. In NYC nothing was electric except the lights and a monthly bill of ~$38 was par for the course. In Oregon everything is electric, including the stove and dryer and only in the dead of winter does the bill go much over $38.

We don't have a lot of money so being conservative with electricity makes good financial sense as well as being good for the planet. Whatever the rates are and whatever you think they should be, they will always be cheaper at night than during the day, so: do your laundry and dry it overnight. Run the dishwasher overnight. It adds up. In winter, heat only the rooms you use. At night turn the heat completely off. We let our house go to 55*. Double comforers and an electric mattress warmer for the bed. Our dead of winter bills used to top $200. Now they are in the $120's.

H
Well, it all depends on where you come from. I came from coastal southern California. Electricity was $0.13/kwh. Water was heated by gas, everything else was electric. I used the a/c maybe a total of 15-20 hours for the year. I never used the heater. All light bulbs were CFLs (supplied by management, not me). And no washer/dryer in the unit, however, it was $1.25 a load. So add on another $20 or less for laundry. My bill was, on average, $25/mo. Add in the laundry, we're looking at $45/mo year-round. Give or take.

So, yes, Oregon electricity costs is more to me. I'm already paying about $45/mo and it's not winter and I know I'll need heat. I also have to keep my plants warm, which is another cost I didn't have in SoCal.

And yes, I always do my laundry/dishes (I don't use the dishwasher) in the early AM or late night. I rarely even cook (I'm not big on cooking). It's always good to save money and I know electricity is one thing I can totally control.

Trust me, I am not complaining about the costs, it was just a post stating what I paid for this first month, since others are curious about electricity costs (those moving here). I was comparing it to my old bills (from CA) and just stating how I will be paying more up here. The difference is totally expected, just was a bit shocked about the difference during summer. Actually, I guess with the w/d in the unit, it is about the same. So, no difference so far. And I'm not working, which means the tv is on more, I'm on the computer more, etc.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
If you are indeed a Portland General Electric customer, just go to their website, sign in and see if the energy use option is available to you.

At the very least, you will be signed up to pay your bills online if you want to go that route.
Plus there is some useful information on there that may help you out in some way.

It would be interesting to find out which meter is yours, but other than that, all you will see back there is a bunch of electric meters.
A smart meter will not have an old school spinning dial by the way.
They are all digital.
Mine looks just like this:

By the way, don't believe all the scary woo-woo hoo-haw that is being spouted about these meters on shows like Coast to Coast AM. (Art Bell)
Here's hoping people don't find me weird. I was walking my dog this morning and saw the meters. I attached a photo of it. It's a smart meter. I don't know why, but before, clicking on "energy use" didn't bring anything up. Maybe I needed to get a bill or maybe a month's usage? But it's working now. I can see the hourly breakdown. No clue which meter is mine (there's 3 clustered), but honestly, now that I can see it online, it doesn't matter. Looks like I'm averaging 13kwh a day. Now, I just need to track it and see what is making it spike (probably me cooking and doing laundry).
Attached Thumbnails
I've arrived!! (thanks for all the advice C-D)-600_0860.jpg  

Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
Why do you need to keep your plants warm? Did you bring desert plants with you or something?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Why do you need to keep your plants warm? Did you bring desert plants with you or something?
I used to grow orchids c.1995 BC (before cats) and a lot of people that grow orchids and other exotic tropical plants give them additional heat. My research and my experience suggest that this is a myth of culture and what these plants really need is more light. I never got a visit from the DEA but it is a miracle that I didn't because I was using some of the same bulbs that, you know... and I was running them 20hr/dy. In winter, even exotics need less heat and light. FWIW.

H

Old 08-22-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Yes. I brought a plumeria tree with me. I had about 5 plumeria trees when I left. Gave away all of them but the one. I have to keep them warm when the weather starts to drop (I also have to keep the seedlings I received warm now when my apt drops to low 60's). And will need to eventually purchase a plant light.

I didn't think about this, but if it adds too much to the cost, my plumeria will just have to go dormant until next spring/summer. Hopefully it won't, because I don't want my seedlings to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland