Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't know; I'm in Baker City right now.

You and Pickering carry on now and see who can "out-know-it-all" one another.

For whatever it's worth, you're probably right more often than Pickering is. He posts a lot of false information that he's obviously gleaned from nothing more than a quick Google search. He seems to be in every thread trying to be someone; I don't know why people who've lived in a place for years even bother typing a response to questions when Pickering's undoubtedly lived there himself and knows everyone and everything about it. They should just name this forum after him and be done with it.

Quote:
I too am multi-generational Oregonian, and who knows, we are probably related somewhere back in time.
That's probably true as well, which would explain a lot.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-31-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,449,584 times
Metlakatla, why do you always have to be such a vicious nasty person?

Is your life that bad that you have to take it out on other folks on an internet forum??

You need to find something else to do that allows you to feel better about yourself.

Go kick a dog, steal a baby's candy, trip a guy on crutches,..... or something.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:20 PM

Is your life so bad that you've got to spend most of it trying to control who posts what on the Oregon forum, Mike?

You and a few others seem to feel that anyone who isn't jumping on your bandwagon du jour is being "vicious," yet you spend an awful lot of time here leveling personal attacks. You should take your own advice.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-31-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 03:21 PM

Here we go again.

I NEVER do that.
Prove it if you can.
You can't.
Let's see what other unfounded, unprovable, ridiculous accusations you can dream up.
Just respectfully asking you to be nice, for once.

Maybe you have some input on whether a family vacation would be better spent on the coast or central Oregon?

If you are going to join this thread, it would be groovy if you actually had something interesting to share, instead of just trying to start one of your stupid fights.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 PM

192 posts, read 454,277 times
I envision this forum much like "The Office."

Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Well, Mr. I-am-always-right, I am going to spare the readers of City-Data ANOTHER long drawn out thread crapping argument with you.
You can continue this all you want but it will be one sided.

I have spent the majority of my 65+ years right here in NW Oregon.
I too am multi-generational Oregonian, and who knows, we are probably related somewhere back in time.
Unlike you, I haven't lived everywhere and done everything and I don't have half-baked opinions on everything.
Have you heard the saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none"?
I believe I know what I'm talking about when I talk about it, but I don't have the gall to claim I am always right.
I just know what I know.

In this case, I have years of very specific hands on knowledge of what I am talking about.
I don't have to hide behind a bunch of random cites to make it seem like I do, and I have no idea what "trenting nightlys" means.
You need to work on your spelling a bit there, sir.
Perhaps you meant "trending nightlies".
And I too, have owned coastal property and "lived" on the coast, but that does not make me an expert on all things coastal.

I will say this again since I have said it TWICE already:
It depends on location, size of the house, season, and day of the week.

I am under the impression that you want to argue about renting a beach house right now, at the peak of tourist season.
Yes it will be tough to find a good one under 200 bucks, but no where are you going to find the average (which you stated) as 600 bucks a night.
Perhaps this information isn't cheap and inexpensive right here and now, but I bet somebody got a little education about renting a beach house, and it will benifit them later on when prices drop.
Just like everything else, bargains don't tend to fall into your lap unexpectedly. Hunt around, call folks, ask questions. That WILL pay off.
I know a lot of people who take beach vacations in late September and October when the weather's perfect, the tourists go home, and kids are back in school.

Also, renting a beach house is not the best situation everybody.
Let's say it's two families with toddlers that want to spend four days at the beach.
That would be hell in a motel.
They don't need a beach house that sits directly on the beach which will cost more money.
They could rent a less expensive one a block or so away. I'm sure the adults that want to "get away" wouldn't care about walking a block to the beach.

Let's do the math shall we?
Four days at 200 a night = 800
Split that by four adults and it's 200 dollars per person for a four night stay.
200 divided by 4 is 50 dollars a night per person, or 100 dollars per couple, roughly the same as a motel room.
In addition to having a bed and a shower, which you get in a motel room, they get a full service kitchen where you can cook your own meals, do laundry, sleep in seperate bedrooms, etc.

Now let's say it's two families getting together with a bunch of teens and pre teens.
They could rent a house right on the beach for more money, but the trade off is that the kids can go wander around the beach if they want, meals get cooked, laundry gets done, so spending a little more is well worth it.

I am not saying renting a beach house is the only way to go, but in certain situations it works out quite nicely.

I will add a little applicable focus to one of your prior statements:
"Every kind of lodging (beach house) you could want is on the coast."
I think you could tell it was renting nightly, but just wanted to be a butt on the forum because you were wrong. You gave misleading information and I corrected it. That seems to have upset you. And besides I am a Steve of many trades and Master of most. That's just how I roll. Sorry if you have been limited in your endeavors. And .... I am a year older than you so show some respect for your elders.

Vacation Rentals are not for families looking for a quick get out of town for the weekend.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

Maybe you have some input on whether a family vacation would be better spent on the coast or central Oregon?

If you are going to join this thread, it would be groovy if you actually had something interesting to share, instead of just trying to start one of your stupid fights.
I came in on the middle of what seemed to be yet another of your stupid fights with Pickering; I didn't have to "try to start" anything.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I think you could tell it was renting nightly, but just wanted to be a butt on the forum because you were wrong. You gave misleading information and I corrected it. That seems to have upset you. And besides I am a Steve of many trades and Master of most. That's just how I roll. Sorry if you have been limited in your endeavors. And .... I am a year older than you so show some respect for your elders.
Vacation Rentals are not for families looking for a quick get out of town for the weekend.
Please, Steve, read my posts carefully before saying that I said or inferred something that I didn't.
I never said anything about renting a beach house nightly, in fact my initial words on the subject were:
"If you are going to do a longer weekend and have friends to help chip in, renting a beach house for a few days is the way to go."

Actually I have a bachelors in both electrical and mechanical engineering and a masters in mechanical engineering specializing in dynamic and climatic testing (now retired).
I have been married to the same women for 40+ years and raised a very large fairly successful family.
I made a small fortune in Portland real estate.
I have accomplished just about everything I have ever set out to do.
I would not say I have been limited in my endeavors at all.
Just a bit more focused in my life than you. That's just how I roll!
If you had read my post with greater comprehension, I gave no misleading information.

I have never, ever given my true age on City Data, while you have.
Don't make the assumption that you are my elder.
Show some respect, youngster!

If you re read my posts, I never stated that renting a beach house was a viable quick get out of town weekend option.
I simply said that it was an option to look into and tried to provide some basic information to people that might have an interest in renting a beach house but knew nothing about it, as I have gone down this route many, many times throughout the years.

As far as pricing goes, and this seems to be the main point of the argument, I will say this for the fourth time:
It depends on location, size of the house, season, and day of the week.

Anyone reading that statement would probably understand that beach houses prices fluctuate during the year.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 07-31-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 04:02 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
So what held you back?

You must read your posts differently then I do. Are you saying you lied to us? I don't even lie about who I am.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:09 PM

What in the world are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland