Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever heard anything (positive or negative) about this area ? I often receive data from real estate agents about houses that look nice in the photos and there is a place that has condos for people who are over 55 , which I have been having trouble locating . I believe that this area is near the southeast portion of Portland which I think I've heard is not the most interesting part to be in. Is it a safe area, though ? Is it near transit systems?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-11-2007 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 03:35 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
King City is southwest of Portland, off Highway 99, just beyond Tigard. It's a small incorporated town, which requires residents to be 55+. It seems like a close-knit place with small well-maintained houses, some apartments and a golf course. I think it's pretty safe.

To me, the biggest drawback would be traffic getting to and from King City. Highway 99 is notoriously clogged in both directions during more than just rush hours.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:45 PM

143 posts, read 809,826 times
Suncat described it well. It sits between Tigard and Sherwood.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:05 PM

Thanks for your quick responses. Is it part of the marvelous transit system of Portland, though? Or is it not really considered part of Portland at all?

Old 11-11-2007, 04:22 PM

143 posts, read 809,826 times
No, it is basically considered Tigard. Max does not run anywhere near King City, but there is a trimet bus that goes through there, including the express bus. That one does not make many stops, and goes only during rush hour, but it is great.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Would you know if it would be possible to drive to a MAX station, then. Would there be parking? How far would it be to Portland, would you think? Thanks for your help.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:09 PM

61 posts, read 402,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Would you know if it would be possible to drive to a MAX station, then. Would there be parking? How far would it be to Portland, would you think? Thanks for your help.
No it would be worth it just to take a Tri-Met bus to downtown Portland. Nearest MAX station is in Beaverton, a bit of a distance away.

People may say Portland has a great public transit system but the truth is the trains only serve a select few areas. Everywhere else is connected by bus.

Frankly I'd rather ride the bus anyways. I'd feel safer because the MAX sort of has an unsafe reputation around here, e.g. gangs, loud kids, etc.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 PM

Thanks , chad. Would there be buses right in King City, I wonder?

Also, are there that many gangs in Portland? I have heard conflicting reports and once on CNBC (I think) there was a series about homeless kids in 3 cities & one was Portland. (the others were LA and Chicago) It was very sad. I really do not see that in New York....or maybe I am just not looking.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
There are problems in specific areas, like Rockridge for example, which is in the outer SE area on the Gresham/Portland border (way out there). Gang stuff is in the suburbs or further out areas such as Rockridge. Close in it more or less doesn't exist, though there can be some weird stuff by the Lloyd Center shopping mall. There's been a lot of stuff in the news recently about crime on MAX in these outer areas, including parts of Hillsboro and Beaverton, Rockridge/Gresham and in parts of North Portland. I ride MAX from the closer Beaverton stations to various close in areas and all through downtown and have never really had a problem. When I took it to outer SE or LLoyd Center that's when I've encountered problems, or not really problems but just obnoxious people. I think with Portland growing the way it is the security hasn't grown as fast as it should have. Gresham for example is assigning police to ride the trains as a recent thing.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
If you're looking this far out, you might as well look at downtown Vancouver at some of the condos there. You could get around without using a car a lot if you lived in the actual downtown and there's a farmer's market there, flexcar, etc. It's not Portland but since you also don't have to commute during rush hour that would be a plus for when you visit. I think it would be closer probably than King City and probably more interesting. The actual downtown Vancouver area is getting pretty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland