Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 PM

318 posts, read 436,400 times

Advertisements

The cesspool of downtown Portland is at the Greyhound Bus Station and surrounding blocks.

You can get any street dope, street hooker and the private security guard looks away and the city police do not respond or show up.

Doors that are suppose to be locked are left open and drug traffic is rampant all day, all night, 24/7.

A lot of young women being pimped.

My friend missed a train connection and intended to take a Greyhound Bus and sat up most of the night, being both fascinated and shocked that a city like Portland would allow this human insanity.

But when a city touts it's liberal agenda and offers haven for all the misfits of the world, you bet - when they get run out of other cities, they know they are welcome in Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:51 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,557 times
What Greyhound bus station in a city ISN'T a cesspool? Tell your friend to visit the Greyhound station in Los Angeles. Makes Portland's look like Beverly Hills. I go to the Max stop near Greyhound sometimes and while you see drugs exchange hands from time to time and some creepy characters, for the most part people do their own thing. It's not glamorous but it's not so dangerous that I'd call it the end of the world. Most of the services for the homeless are also near Greyhound so you get a certain crowd due to that too.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
What Greyhound bus station in a city ISN'T a cesspool? Tell your friend to visit the Greyhound station in Los Angeles. Makes Portland's look like Beverly Hills. I go to the Max stop near Greyhound sometimes and while you see drugs exchange hands from time to time and some creepy characters, for the most part people do their own thing. It's not glamorous but it's not so dangerous that I'd call it the end of the world. Most of the services for the homeless are also near Greyhound so you get a certain crowd due to that too.
I second this. What does "a city like Portland" supposed to mean that our Greyhound bus station should be any less shabby than any other? It is unfortunate, but I have been in several in cities across the country and in the late hours, as it appears at the time in which OP friend was observing our Greyhound bus station, they are all pretty much the same or worse.

And I would like to see where the OP's proof that the city of Portland has ever "touted its liberal agenda in which it offers a haven for all the misfits of the world." I want to see links to that agenda. Let's see some proof.

What motivates someone like the OP to come onto a city forum that is not their own just to bash it? The story he told isn't even of his own experience but one he "heard from a friend." How lame is that? There is a name for people like that, we get in trouble for using it but we all know what it is.

Last edited by Minervah; 08-10-2013 at 12:36 AM..

Old 08-10-2013, 06:08 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,139,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater66 View Post
The cesspool of downtown Portland is at the Greyhound Bus Station and surrounding blocks.

You can get any street dope, street hooker and the private security guard looks away and the city police do not respond or show up.

Doors that are suppose to be locked are left open and drug traffic is rampant all day, all night, 24/7.

A lot of young women being pimped.

My friend missed a train connection and intended to take a Greyhound Bus and sat up most of the night, being both fascinated and shocked that a city like Portland would allow this human insanity.

But when a city touts it's liberal agenda and offers haven for all the misfits of the world, you bet - when they get run out of other cities, they know they are welcome in Portland.
So what did the police say to you when you called and reported all this criminal activity ... most importantly (IMO) the pimping of young women.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
I've never been to a non-sketchy Greyhound bus station in a downtown area... They're all sketch--it's Greyhound, sucka! I used to have to change buses at the Greyhound in Sacramento as a kid--man, that place was nothing but crackheads and ex-cons...

If you're going to Seattle and don't want to take the train, take BoltBus--it's a lot nicer than Greyhound.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:49 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
I worked the greyhound bus station (Old location) years ago and frankly, it was a cesspool even then and we had pimps cruising the area daily looking for fresh meat...`

Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
That happens at every inter-city bus station I have ever seen. Run-aways typically arrive by bus.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 AM

535 posts, read 966,689 times
Please, tell us something new........Portland's Greyhound Bus Depot was bad 30 years ago, the LAST time I was there.
Your story seems contrived, if not, based on hearsay. Who has the agenda?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
So what's the Greyhound bus station like in the OP's city? Buckingham Palace?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM

318 posts, read 436,400 times
Quote: What Greyhound bus station in a city ISN'T a cesspool?

Answer: Spokane, Washington has an immaculate Greyhound/Amtrak station that provides full security for the traveling public.

Boise, Idaho has an immaculate Greyhound station that provides full security for the traveling public.

It all depends on what the citizens are willing to tolerate in their city and Portlanders tolerate a lot of general "acting out" of the fringe population and it now has a reputation as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland