Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times

Advertisements

Coolers to be inspected at Clack. Co. parks - Local News - Portland, OR | NBC News

Park Rangers have been authorized to search Park Users for booze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 08:37 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,132 times
Good.
It's about time something was done about the summer chaos at Barton Park.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 AM

535 posts, read 966,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Good.
It's about time something was done about the summer chaos at Barton Park.
Ditto that Carver Park to Barton Park is bad news.

Screenshot from a Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office public service video

Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 AM

Here's a perfect example of why this is the right thing to do.

Man missing after floating down Clackamas River was 'heavily intoxicated,' say police | OregonLive.com

Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Think of the enforcement and rescue cost these idiots create.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 PM

Years ago when I was a young man, the Clackamas was my "home river" for steelhead fishing.
It used to be that there were dozens of turn-outs along the river where you could stop and fish.
No more.

As the population of this area increased, these "turn-outs" became dump spots, party spots, homeless camps, etc, and were closed down one by one.

The Clackamas is pretty much a boat show now, except for a few spots.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is that during the summer time, me and my boys used to get some swim fins and masks and float around in the slow pools looking for lost fishing tackle.

The river bed around Barton/Carver used to be fairly clean, but the last time we looked at the bottom (years ago), it was already covered with beer cans and broken beer bottles.

I mean covered. It made me sick to see all that trash laying around down there.
Stop and think how much of that crap gets carried downstream when the rains come and the river really gets going.
It's not limited to the area just around the parks now.

Plus the enforcement and rescue costs like Steve mentioned.
This has been going on since before 2007, here's an article from 2010:
Party rafters leave no choice: It's time to ban alcohol at Clackamas County parks | OregonLive.com

It's just a bad situation anyway you look at it.

There's a bunch of people screaming that their rights and freedoms were taken away, but if they had bothered to respect the rights and freedoms they had, and not started to destroy a beautiful river (and killed a few people) while they were exercising them, maybe things would be different.

BTW, I heard on the radio that the missing young man I mentioned above found his way home (in Vancouver) and is safe.

Missing Clackamas River rafter found home safe | OregonLive.com

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 08-19-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Plus the enforcement and rescue costs like Steve mentioned.
This has been going on since before 2007, here's an article from 2010:
Party rafters leave no choice: It's time to ban alcohol at Clackamas County parks | OregonLive.com
Hopefully they have enough support to do it this time. My father was a Clackamas County Deputy for many years, and was always talking about what a PITA Barton was to patrol. I apologize in advance to anyone who gets offended, but Barton was a very "low class" place to Party. Those with a bit of money (and usually a boat, ) went up to Northfork Reservoir. But even that isn't as good as it used to be.

Last edited by hamellr; 08-19-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,869 times
I live in a neighborhood that not only is within a fairly leisurely stroll to Carver Park, but also sits directly between the Clackamas River & 224. I'm pretty confident a weekend has not gone by this summer where we haven't heard at least one set of sirens headed down 224 to Carver Park. This weekend alone, I counted no less than three occasions of that, and we were only home perhaps 6-8 daylight hours between Friday & Sunday, thanks to a soccer tournament.

In addition, our neighborhood is often used by the drunk, half-naked, foul-mouthed, and disorderly to get from the river to 224, making for some rather annoying encounters by many in our neighborhood.

Needless to say, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in our neighborhood (many of whom are active participants in a neighborhood forum like this one) that would be upset with this policy of searching for alcohol.

While I personally have never floated or even been on the Clackamas, I can only imagine the horrible condition it's in from all the stories I've heard about it, living so close to it.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
I live in a neighborhood that not only is within a fairly leisurely stroll to Carver Park, but also sits directly between the Clackamas River & 224. I'm pretty confident a weekend has not gone by this summer where we haven't heard at least one set of sirens headed down 224 to Carver Park. This weekend alone, I counted no less than three occasions of that, and we were only home perhaps 6-8 daylight hours between Friday & Sunday, thanks to a soccer tournament.

In addition, our neighborhood is often used by the drunk, half-naked, foul-mouthed, and disorderly to get from the river to 224, making for some rather annoying encounters by many in our neighborhood.

Needless to say, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in our neighborhood (many of whom are active participants in a neighborhood forum like this one) that would be upset with this policy of searching for alcohol.

While I personally have never floated or even been on the Clackamas, I can only imagine the horrible condition it's in from all the stories I've heard about it, living so close to it.
I see nothing wrong with canned beer as long as you don't litter. All this is going to do is drive people to drink in secret (i.e. topping off gatorade bottles with vodka, etc.). IMO, I think a good compromise is to sell alcohol permits.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 PM

780 posts, read 1,576,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I see nothing wrong with canned beer as long as you don't litter. All this is going to do is drive people to drink in secret (i.e. topping off gatorade bottles with vodka, etc.). IMO, I think a good compromise is to sell alcohol permits.
I'd have no problem with ALL alcohol, as long as you didn't litter and respect the private properties of others (e.g. our neighborhood), but alas, that's not the case for way too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: